Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "You'll Never See it Coming"

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "You'll Never See it Coming"

Post by Raxivace »

New Smash Bros. game contains literally every previously playable character in the franchise's history.
Bayonetta
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Cloud
Corrin
Dark Pit
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Greninja
The Ice Climbers
Ike
Ivysaur
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Lucas
Lucina
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Mega Man
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Mii Brawler
Mii Gunner
Mii Fighter
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Captain Olimar
Pac-Man
Palutena
Peach
Pichu
Pikachu
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B. the robot
Robin
Rosalina
Roy
Ryu
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Wolf
Yoshi
Young Link
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

There will also be new characters joining the roster:

Daisy (As Peach's echo fighter)
Spaltoon Inklings
After years of memeing, Ridley from Metroid
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/12/super- ... rs-roster/

I don't know why we needed three different versions of Link but whatever. Snake coming back is legit the most surprising thing to me though, after he was left out of Smash 3DS/Wii U and the whole kerfuffle with Kojima's departure from Konami a few years ago. Glad to see him back.
Last edited by Raxivace on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Post by Gendo »

Looking forward to it, but it won't be enough to make me buy a Switch. Mario Maker might make me do that if/when they announce it.

I am concerned that this Smash might just be a big update to the previous Smash, compared to a legitimately new game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Its probably going to be pretty close to Smash 3DS/Wii U in terms of mechanics...which is fine, though it will mean Melee is still the best in the series on a technical level. Still, having literally every playable character in one game should be fun.

Mario Oddysey and Xenoblade 2 are still the only Switch games I own at the moment but I had a lot of fun with both. Xenoblade 2 has an expansion coming out later this year anyways, and I'm looking forward to Smash Bros. Ultimate and the new Fire Emblem game.

I still might get BotW and that new Kirby game, though my gaming backlog is pretty full atm. Metroid Prime 4 might be something I get down the road too, whenever they decide to release new information about it.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

FWIW Nintendo is saying that Smash Ultimate is a new game built from the ground up and not just an enhanced port.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/14/673955/
Kuribo4
Regular

Post by Kuribo4 »

I will go insane the day this comes out.

Melee I haven't played since I was 10, so it's hard for me to compare newer Smash games to it, but I have been happy with all the Smash games.

This one looks like it's faster and has some stuff in it to cater to the more "hardcore" audience.

I will be happy anyways. Just the trophy collecting thing alone is so fun to me.

Ridley I actually believe is too big now more than I ever did lol, he doesn't have that presence that I think of with that character with how they have scaled him down, yet I'm still happy about his inclusion. It's the game being aware of that long debate.

Also, Snake being back, plus confirmed new lines by David Hayter. ;_;

Still hoping for Xenoblade 2's Rex to make it into the game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I never thought Ridley really had the right proportions as a character to fit in Smash. He looks goofy in a bad way in this game to me, but oh well it makes people happy I guess. Metroid hasn't had a new rep in like a decade anyways.

Yeah I'm super hyped to see the return of Snake, though its bittersweet without Kojima's involvement.

Rex and Pyra/Mythra would be cool, though if it were my choice it would be Poppy since she would have a more unique moveset most likely, but I doubt we'll really be getting any more Xenoblade characters.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Simon Belmont and King K. Rool were announced today, with Richter Belmont, Chrom, and Dark Samus announced as Echo Fighters.

I'm pretty hyped, I'm glad to see some Castlevania in Smash.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I don't care much about those particular characters, but I'm pretty hyped for over 100 stages and over 800 music tracks. And stage morph seems awesome as well.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:I don't care much about those particular characters,
You're deader than Luigi to me now.

But yeah that's a lot of stages and music.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Like how could you not love this dreamy guy? He's only the best villain in all of Castlevania.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Well largely there's the fact that I'd never heard of him before watching the new Smash promo video. I've never played any Castlevania game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

If you like 80's/90's 2D platformers you really should consider correcting that. Most of the games in the franchise are quite good.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

https://twitter.com/NintendoUKVS/status ... 6821469184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:https://twitter.com/NintendoUKVS/status ... 6821469184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sad to see Nintendo in such denial about Luigi's fate.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-45127783

The BBC wouldn't lie to us.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: RIP Luigi 1983-2018

Post by Raxivace »

Isabelle from Animal Crossing got announced today.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm just sad about no Mario Maker announcement.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah most of that direct was either stuff I already knew about (Like the Xenoblade 2 DLC, which I got and have enjoyed so far) or ports of games I already own and have beaten before (Final Fantasies 7, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12), but Idk Isabelle looks like a fun Smash character to me and I think that Daemon X Machina game looks cool.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Mario Maker is the one thing that I could see making me buy a Switch some day. Oh, and a new Zelda of course.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

They've said there is a new Zelda in the works that's in the style of BotW coming eventually. I personally hope it's a little weirder like Majora's Mask.

Oh yeah I forgot to add I want to check out that new Yoshi game too. Looks cute.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

There's a leak going around. Pretty elaborate if a fake.

According to this the final characters are...

Ken
Banjo & Kazooie
Isaac
Geno
Chorus Kids
Shadow the Hedgehog
Mach Rider (LOL WTF)

I'd be cool with this, particularly Banjo and Geno as their games have been personal favorites of mine, but man. Fuckin' MACH RIDER? Wow. That's a deep cut.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Assuming Ken and Shadow are just Echo Fighters, we might end up with a new stage for each of the other five characters, which would bring us up to the 108 stages initially reported by CoroCoro.

Gendo rewatched Lost earlier this year.

4+8+15+16+23+42=108.

It all fits.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

The final Smash Bros. direct is in a few hours. Today we will see if the "Grinch leak" is true or not.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Grinch Leak was a lie, final characters are Ken and Incineroar. :(

EDIT: Rex deconfirmed, won't even be DLC- RIP me and kuribo. :(

First DLC character is a Piranah Plant of all things.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

New DLC character was announced. It's Joker from Persona 5 of all characters.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm going to my friend's place to play this tomorrow evening.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

My copy is coming in the mail tomorrow.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "You'll Never See it Coming"

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways Persona 5 was far from a perfect game but it was stylish as fuck and had a great soundtrack. I can't wait to Smash to this music in all its glorious Engrish.

"You'll never see it coming" indeed- friggin' nobody was predicting Joker, though it makes some sense in retrospect since we have two other Sega characters (Sonic and Bayonetta) and there was already that Shin Megami Tensei/Fire Emblem crossover game on the Wii U.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Also Gendo I hope you bring your newborn child with you to SMAAAASSSSHHHH. Bond with your child and show them the proper way to knock out some fools stocks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ha, no, he'll be stuck at home with Mom.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

@Kuribo4

Fuckin' Sakurai lol.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways Smash Ultimate is good. I like how we're more or less back at Melee-ish speeds.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I noticed the faster speed.

Had a lot of fun. It was 5 of us for most of the time; doing mostly 5-way free for all. So super chaotic. Eventually we did some team stuff; found a pretty even 2 v 3 team due to the fact that only one of the 5 of us was actually really good at Smash in general. He was actually paired with the weakest; but they still were even with the 3 of us “good, but super casual" players.

Didn't have very many characters; of course. But unlocked 12 or so during the evening.

I was disappointed to find that there are no more “arena" modes. No home run contest; target blast; break the targets; etc. Those were always fun, especially for multiplayer. Maybe they'll add them in DLC.

Also, no stage builder. Which means no Smashketball. Boo.

Some of the new rule sets are cool. Tag team battle was a lot of fun. And the option to have a final smash meter is great.

Played for about 5 hours.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I would have liked to see those bonus modes back, yeah. Bizarrely Classic Mode features a version of Race to the Finish of all things.

In general, Classic Mode is super cool. Each character has their own theme to it. Jigglypuff's for example is a giant Smash 64 tribute and only fights characters from that game- her final boss even ends up being Giant DK. I kind of wish Master Hand made an appearance here though.

I've been mostly playing World of Light and while I like it, like half of the matches I've done it so far have been in Stamina Mode for some reason. Opponents often seem to start out with more HP than you in these matches, and often have some BS OP permanent Assist Trophy helping them and it's kind of frustrating tbh. I do like how the matches fit the character of the "spirit" that you're fighting, but the fights themselves don't seem as solid as, say, Event Matches in Melee or even Brawl.

Ultimate is still great to actually play regular fights in though, which I guess is the most important thing to get right after Brawl and Smash 4 (At least the 3DS version, never played Wii U because lol Wii U) kind of weren't great about that.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah I didn't see any of the one player stuff, and it will be a long time before I do, because I don't have a Switch. When I play Smash Ultimate it will be going to my friend's place to just play multiplayer battles.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lol I just realized we have characters named "Robin" and "Joker" in Smash now.

Batman confirmed for DLC!!!!??????!!!???
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Okay as I unlock more characters the character select menu is honestly becoming a problem. They organize characters by their first appearance in Smash Bros. and not by franchise, EXCEPT for Echo Fighters which go next to the characters they are Echoes of, and it honestly makes it real annoying to find some characters.

Like if I asked you "Hey where's Lucas on the current menu?", would you have any idea where to start looking? Even if you remember he debuted in Brawl, you still might have to actively hunt for him.

What about Lucina? "Ah", you might say, "I know she debuted in Smash 4 so I'll look among the Smash 4 characters". There's the rub though, because she is considered an Echo Fighter of Marth now she's placed next to Marth and its therefore the friggin' Melee newcomers you need to be searching among to find Lucina.

The stage selection screen has similar issues too.

As much as Smash Ultimate does right, there are a lot of weird things it does wrong too and its honestly kind of baffling to me that they finally figured out how to let me turn stage hazards off but not how to reorganize the character and stage selection menus into something sensible. I can get used to what they came up with eventually but it is not very intuitive at all.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I really don't get the concept of Echo fighters at all. It seems completely subjective... Echo fighters are no just alternate costumes; they can have different stats. But why bother differentiating "stats are a little different" from "stats are way different"? Like, Young Link, Link, and Toon Link have almost the same move set; etc. But they are considered different enough to not be Echo Fighters. Marth, Roy, Ike, and Lucina are all very similar, but Lucina is called an echo fighter of Marth.

Other than the placement on the character select screen, is the concept of "echo fighter" even in the game in any way? Is there any functional way in which choosing between Lucina and Marth acts differently than choosing between Lucina and Ike? Is the phrase "echo fighter" even visible in the game anywhere?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm pretty sure its in the game itself somewhere since one of the options is to have echoes and their originals take up a single character slot on the selection screen. I'm not sure the game itself explains the term though.

The concept of "Echo Fighters" comes mostly from Sakurai's video directs where he talked about it. It just means that there are less differences between, say, Marth and Lucina than there are between Marth and Roy in terms of how their attacks actually function despite visual similarities. Like I remember in Melee at least (Though I'm fairly certain its still the case in Ultimate) that Roy's neutral B being fully charged could insta-KO someone (While also doing damage to him), unlike Marth's. That alone is a pretty huge difference. In addition a lot of Roy's attacks have fire effects, which have their own weird properties- including not being able to damage Red Pikmin. Fire attacks also will set off explosive items immediately upon contact.

The only real difference between Lucina and Marth is that no part of her sword does more damage than any other, whereas Marth does the most damage at the tip of his sword. That still matters because this means despite slightly higher damage potential that a Marth player will probably have a slightly more predictable strategy in how they approach you trying to get that tip damage in, but the characters are otherwise completely identical in terms of how they actually function.

Ike has a fairly different moveset than all three of them- he's way heavier too.

I do think the Links are different enough though. Like regular Link doesn't have a tether grab (Since its his BotW version this time, no hookshot or anything like that), and I think only his bombs can be remotely detonated. Young Link and Toon Link are more similar to each other, but Young Link has the Fire Arrows and I think Toon Link's shield works differently, covering more of his body I think? Their speeds are pretty different too I think, though I haven't messed around with either of them much yet so there might be more differences.

EDIT: Some stuff I'm seeing online says that Toon Link and Young Link actually have some fairly different A attacks so that's something I guess.

Also BotW Link can pick up his arrows and throw them which is a nice touch.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... muTGcbu4Kc[/youtube]

Looks like Joker dropped out of nowhere. The Mementos stage looks cool too- I like how they managed to sneak in some love for Persona 3 and 4 as well there.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways I really wonder who the rest of the DLC characters will be. There's been so many rumors for the past few months that has me anxious.

Like one of the most common rumors is that the guy from DOOM of all games is coming in as DLC.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm happy that they're bringing back Stage Builder. Return of Smashketball!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah its nice to have Stage Builder back. It's odd we didn't have it in the base game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

So the current rumors online suggest that Banjo is going to be revealed as a DLC fighter at E3, possibly alongside Erdick from Dragon Quest.

I'm cautiously optimistic, though I was burned by the lies of the Grinch Leak before. Still, the idea itself doesn't seem implausible considering Banjo's connection with the N64 era of Nintendo (You could even make the argument that he should have been a part of the Smash 64 roster) and Nintendo's relationship with Microsoft seeming pretty good these days, if stuff like Cuphead getting a Switch release is any indication.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Bought a Switch yesterday. Waiting for it to be shipped now. Don't have any games, because it turns out you can't get digital copies of games, or a Nintendo Online service plan, until after you link your Nintendo account with a specific console. But I'll be getting Smash the day I connect my Switch.

Just found out that Untertale is on the Switch; I'll be getting that too.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

While they're better than they were back in like the Wii days, Nintendo is still a bit behind when it comes to online services tbh.

Haven't played Undertale.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah I don't really care that much about online services; don't expect to ever play Smash online. But it will be required for SMM2. And it's free for a year with Twitch Prime anyway.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Banjo is back home, after all of these years! [biggrin]

The Dragon Quest character being actually multiple heroes is pretty surprising and looks kind of neat. I've never actually played a DQ game myself but I've always been a bit curious about them.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Never herd of Dragon Quest before this. Not sure if I'll bother paying for the Smash DLC or not.

But... BOTW sequel announced!!! Switch should be arriving Friday.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm surprised you haven't at least even heard of Dragon Quest. It was the premiere franchise of Enix (Before they merged with Squaresoft) and is like ridiculously huge in Japan, even bigger than Final Fantasy. It's never been super popular in the U.S., though I think the one that came out on the NES did pretty well here (I think it was called Dragon Warrior).

You should get the Smash DLC, all of the characters have been pretty cool so far.

I hope the BOTW sequel is good. If its just the first game again that'll be disappointing, but if its closer to what Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time I'll be real interested.