Hollywood Is Making a Live Action Gundam Movie

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Hollywood Is Making a Live Action Gundam Movie

Post by Raxivace »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... lm/.133849

I like most of what Legendary Studios has made in recent years that's been in a similar vein but I don't have high hopes for this. It won't even be the first time the West has tried to do live action Gundam- Canada of all countries beat them to this punch nearly 20 years ago, though the movie wasn't well received.

I'm really wondering if this isn't eventually going to pave the way for Hollywood to do a live action Evangelion film though, as there's been rumors of that happening for quite a while. I think I have even less hope for something like that to be good.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: Hollywood Is Making a Live Action Gundam Movie

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I never could really get into Gundam, save for when I saw Wing on Toonami as a kid. After that I eventually saw the original series and Zeta and they just seemed rather bland. I think I saw some of the movies as well, and 8th MS Team when it was on Toonami. No idea how they could translate such a huge world into a feature film...
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Hollywood Is Making a Live Action Gundam Movie

Post by Raxivace »

Of those I loved the original, liked Zeta, somewhat ironically and somewhat genuinely liked Wing (Hated Endless Waltz btw), and basically hated 08th MS Team (The 90's OVA's in general I think are weak).

The Hollywood movie will probably suck, though I'm curious to see whether they try and force Gundam concepts into a Hollywood context (Like, say, teenaged pilots) or just try and do their own thing.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris