Gendo
Site Admin

Videos for Anakin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Videos for Anakin

Post by Raxivace »

I haven't seen Reeves' newest stuff like John Wick, and maybe he's better in that but I've never really found him to be a great actor. His stilted nature kind of works in The Matrix I guess, and I think his best performance honestly might be the Bill & Ted movies.

OTOH there's stuff like Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula where his casting just does not work at all.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Lol I just saw this thread

oh wow they mentioned Permanent Record! I love the mid-80s Keanu movies. Acting-wise, Under the Influence was good too. The movies themselves were average, but there seemed to be much more variety in Keanu's acting style back then, and in movie plots in general before most things out of Hollywood got formulaic.

why no Devil's Advocate though :'(
OTOH there's stuff like Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula where his casting just does not work at all.
Keanu said that was his worst performance. I thought the whole movie was terrible. Also I gave up on Johnny Mnemonic in the first 5 minutes but apparently it's a cult classic and I should probably sit through it one day. Those clips don't give me much hope.

@Raxivace - John Wick is awesome and definitely worth a watch. Amazing action choreography (the directors did the stunts on The Matrix trilogy, and the result is like ballet but with people getting shot in the head), solid premise (they killed his puppy, so he kills all of them), very creative worldbuilding (someone termed it 'Hogwarts for assassins'), and a nicely dark humour threading through the film. It plays to all of Keanu's strengths and none of his weaknesses, and it is beautiful.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I really didn't like Johnny Mnemonic. Devil's Advocate is one of my all-time favorites, but not sure Keanu really stood out for me. He's completely out-shone by Pacino.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:OTOH there's stuff like Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula where his casting just does not work at all.
That's far better than casting him in Much Ado About Nothing. Keanu + Shakespeare = Hilarity:

Luckily he's not in it very much, and Branagh and Thompson are so good together that it's still one of the best Shakespeare adaptations out there.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Tbh I kind of think his flat, emotionless performance as the villain kind of works as a contrast to Branagh and Thompson's back and forth and eventual love in that movie.

OTOH I had forgotten that Keanu was even in the film lol.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Your opinion is wrong, and you should feel bad about it.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

No its true, his performance is very flat in the film. :P