South Park

Gendo
Site Admin

South Park

Post by Gendo »

Finally catching up on the past few years of South Park. Just watched all of season 18, and started season 19.

It's still brilliant. The majority of season 18 episodes were in the "clever and funny commentary" category; while it seems like most of the show has just been maybe 25% episodes like that. I was laughing out loud so hard.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: South Park

Post by Raxivace »

I'm torn on South Park. Matt and Trey clearly have talent as entertainers and the turnaround on episodes is something insane like 10 days- that's dedication.

That all being said, their attempts at commentary seem out of touch at best these days to me- the last season I watched was the PC Principal one and a lot of it seemed like Bill Maher-esque whining about those damn kids, and I just can't help but roll my eyes at it. This is to say nothing about the stuff from the older seasons that aged like milk (The Manbearpig stuff in particular stands out to me as something that was dumb then to begin with and uh time hasn't exactly done it any favors).
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: South Park

Post by Gendo »

Well they've never hidden the fact that their views are largely conservative. Season 19 is where the first introduced PC Principal, so I've only seen the first episode with him so far. And yes, the episode like many others is making fun of liberals for being too sensitive.

But it's not like they tow the republican line either. The last episode I watched (right after the introduction of PC Principal) was actually a warning that someone like Trump could actually end up winning the presidency... aired very shortly after he announced his candidacy; well before the primaries even happened.