Finally watched Hereditary(spoilers)

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Finally watched Hereditary(spoilers)

Post by Cassius Clay »

Could have been better but still really liked it. And people should support ambitious horror attempts like this so they make more.

The villain/evil forces orchestrating some secret plan(with an unsettling level of commitment and obsession) that isn't fully uncovered/understood by our protagonists until it's too late...is my shit. More of that please. The Witch and Insidious did that really well too.

The horror would have been more effective if they were subtle with the supernatural stuff, leaving more to the imagination(no headless bodies floating around please)...and should have ended when the guy wakes up and makes the clucking noise.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Finally watched Hereditary(spoilers)

Post by Raxivace »

I was into the stuff in the first half that more focused on the drama with the family, but I find lol demon cult plots to almost always be fairly silly and the second half doubling down on that kind of killed the movie for me. It probably would have been better if they were a little more low-key with some of that though, yeah.

In general I've found these horror films from A24 to be a little schlockier than their reputation and sleek styles suggest. I kind of liked It Comes At Night though.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris