Why did no one tell me this was a thing??

Gendo
Site Admin

Why did no one tell me this was a thing??

Post by Gendo »

I never heard this song before this week. I blame everyone I know for not telling me about it when it came out in 2003.

I only found it because 2 Cellos did a cover, and I was listening to their album. Their version is awesome as well.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: Why did no one tell me this was a thing??

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

What rock have you been living under that you're just now hearing this? It was all over the radio and TV, and now it's a permanent fixture of every college football game I watch--you'll often have the band and the entire crowd humming that opening riff. Here's a cool little video on its history and how it became a stadium anthem:

Anyway, White Stripes are pretty awesome. I got into them back when their third album was released in '01. Back then they were a cool throwback to 60s/70s rock, pop, and folk. You can hear Dylan, Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, Ramones, etc. and every now and then they'll throw in a country/bluegrass song or Scottish jig. I also really liked everything they did after that, but they got a bit more experimental. I love De Stijl (second album) and their last, Icky Thump; both probably their most bluesy/Zeppelin-esque albums. Here are a few tracks I really like:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMZG7p ... 3ouXbHrjLG[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZ7I6O ... LG&index=5[/youtube]
(^ This is straight up Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying")
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Re: Why did no one tell me this was a thing??

Post by Blade Azaezel »

7 nation Army is an anthem for the left wing in this country now, as well as a fixture at sporting events. People chant "Whoa Je-re-my Cor-byn" to the opening riff.