Identify this movie scene

Gendo
Site Admin

Identify this movie scene

Post by Gendo »

So in some movie (possibly TV show), a character is explaining to another character how hard it is to communicate with someone when they don't speak the same language. As an example, they hold up a glass and say some foreign word, then asks what they just said. The other person guesses "cup", or maybe "glass". Then the first person says "are you sure? Maybe I meant 'drink' or 'liquid' or 'green'" (or whatever color the glass was).

Pretty sure it's from a well-known American movie; not some weird obscure thing.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Identify this movie scene

Post by Raxivace »

The scene doesn't sound familiar to me, but not a whole lot of American movies deal with communication like that either.

Maybe there's a similar scene in Arrival?
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So it's definitely not Arrival; I just now finished watching Arrival, and it was that movie that made me remember this other scene.

I don't have any idea if it was about communication with aliens, or just with other nations. I was thinking maybe Contact, but it doesn't quite sound right.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Found it! It randomly popped into my head that it seemed like something from Star Trek.