Nothing about the Mid Terms?

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Nothing about the Mid Terms?

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I was expecting some comments or thoughts now we're a day "after the fact".

I stayed up all night watching the results coming in (and booked today off as annual leave so I could do so). I love election coverage. The results are almost secondary to the stats and figures and all the numbers. But then I work with stats and data so my slight obsession with that has some sort of reasoning...
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Re: Nothing about the Mid Terms?

Post by phe_de »

From what European news outlets say, the result was not a surprise. It was more or less what was expected.

Maybe that's why it's not a hot topic here.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Still processing.

76 percent of white women voted against Abrams lol. Beto and Gillum lost to dumbass Republicans that ran terrible campaigns. This unholy country never had any hope.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

76 percent of white women voted against Abrams lol.
I dropped by the FB page of an online acquaintance who's a white woman and staunch Trump supporter (I've tried talking to her, but I don't know enough about US politics to counter her claims, and her reality has simply diverged too much from mine), and there were reblogged memes of dubious factuality attacking Abrams; like so: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

as well as this badly-Photoshopped pic going around: https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fac ... gn-descri/
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Mostly it just seemed un-noteworthy. So much stuff on both sides that I don't even know if I'm supposed to feel happy about the outcome or upset about it. It's really neither. Like a movie that was neither good nor bad. Just unremarkable.

For my own state, it's sad but not surprising that most of the amendments passed. You just know that a lot, probably most, of the people who voted knew nothing at all about it other than what was written on the ballot. So yeah, of course you are going to vote "yes" to "ensure the rights of crime victims". It takes actual research to see why things things are a bad idea.

Same with voter ID, which is the one I'm mostly upset about. Most people who voted for it don't know that this amendment is being added to defy the courts that said that the previous law was unconstitutional because it openly existed to target African Americans.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:For my own state, it's sad but not surprising that most of the amendments passed. You just know that a lot, probably most, of the people who voted knew nothing at all about it other than what was written on the ballot. So yeah, of course you are going to vote "yes" to "ensure the rights of crime victims". It takes actual research to see why things things are a bad idea.
Yeah I know this would have tripped me up if I wasn't paying attention. Luckily I did early voting and could actually take the time to google each amendment on the ballot from the comfort of my own home. Some of those were mad misleading.

I was shocked the Voter ID nonsense was even on there.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

After all the hype, these midterms seemed almost tailor-made to end as un-dramatically and unsurprisingly as possible. It's hard to fit the results into any straightforward narrative.

It's disappointing that Gillum lost, although he deserved it for being an idiot. It turns out that pivoting away from supporting one of the most popular policies in the country and teaming up with one of the least popular figures in the country at the same time brings your numbers down. Huh. You know, I could have told him that.

The biggest deal is Florida granting voting rights to felons. That'll make sure it at least leans blue for the foreseeable future. If that was done already Gillum would have won.

I'm just happy my state very firmly rejected the cunt Kris Kobach. It felt pretty good to come home from work and see my asshole neighbor had taken down his Kobach sign. My county did the majority of the heavy lifting. Lol I never thought I would be proud of Johnson County.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

lolwut I just read this

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bernie-sa ... ref=scroll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I think you know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American," Sanders told The Daily Beast, referencing the close contests involving Andrew Gillum in Florida and Stacey Abrams in Georgia. “I think next time around by the way it will be a lot easier for them to do that."
?????
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:Still processing.

76 percent of white women voted against Abrams lol. Beto and Gillum lost to dumbass Republicans that ran terrible campaigns. This unholy country never had any hope.
The likelihood of Beto winning that was so incredibly low. The fact that he got it to within 3 percentage points is pretty amazing, IMO. Gillum was victim to some seriously racist ads. Real shame he lost.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

My recently adopted state of Michigan had a good election. Flipped a congressional seat and the governor, and Dem senator was reelected.

Also, all the ballot measures passed: legalized recreational marijuana, automatic and same day voter registration, and a measure to end partisan gerrymandering.

Mostly upset at Florida, but.....Florida gonna Florida. Happy to see Heller get voted out, and surprised that Tester managed re-election. Indiana was also a bit of a surprise but I figured the GOP would pick up at least one or two Senate seats.

Overall, Gerrymandering still a major problem, but with the recent Governor elections flipping, anti-gerrymandering laws/ballot measures, and overall general awareness of the problem might finally remedy this BS soon.