Black Friday DVD purchases

Gendo
Site Admin

Black Friday DVD purchases

Post by Gendo »

As is my custom, I buy a lot of new movies this time of year. Here's this year's haul. Most of them were $2 or $4.

Black Panther - One of only 2 MCU movies I haven't seen yet, and one of only a few that I didn't own. Really looking forward to seeing this.

Avengers: Infinity War - Saw it in theaters, really looking forward to seeing it again.

The Shape of Water - Just because of the hype. And because of del Toro.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - Wanted to see this ever since seeing the preview.

The Greatest Showman - Heard really good things.

Baby Driver - Fan of Edgar Wright in general.

Family Guy Season Fifteen - I already have one through fourteen.

The Shack - I'm not expecting much from this movie; but I really loved the book. I wouldn't expect non-Christians to like it at all.

Hacksaw Ridge - Looks interesting.

Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them - I like the Harry Potter movies ok, so why not.

After Earth - I really wanted to see this when it was coming out. Then I heard it was horrible. Also one of the few Shyamalan movies I didn't have. Only got it because it was $2 though.

Pitch Perfect 3 - Perhaps it will be better than the second; sometimes that happens when a good movie has a bad sequel. Mostly just got it for the music.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - If this is even half as good as the first, it will have been worth it.

Coco - I don't know anything at all about this one. But I heard it's popular or something, and it's Pixar, so I got it.

Darkest Hour - Really looking forward to this.

Escape Plan 2 - The first one wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. And hey, Dave Bautista.

Jigsaw - I like and own the first 7 saw movies, so naturally I needed this.

Tag - I normally don't like stupid comedies, but this looks interesting.

Deadpool 2 - Can't wait.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Mostly because it's a good cast.

Pacific Rim Uprising - Just because I like the first one. I heard this one isn't so good.

San Andreas - I like disaster movies, and I like Dwayne Johnson.

Hotel Transylvania - I heard this was good.

Hotel Transylvania 2 - I heard this was also good. I'll probably have to get the third at some point, even though I heard that one wasn't as good.

It (2017) - As a fan of the cheesy miniseries, and of King in general, I'm looking forward to this.

Justice League - I'm glad I got the bare-bones nothing edition for $4 instead of anything fancy. I just wanted to see it.

Game Night - My wife said I'd like this one.

Dunkirk - The only other movie I got that I'd already seen. This keeps me up to date with owning all Nolan films. Won't quite be the same experience at my home theater though.

Annihilation - Some people on this forum said it was good. Looks interesting.

Night at the Museum Collection - So I had the first, and just recently got the second for my wife. This was $4 for all 3 films; and now we can try to get rid of the first 2. Save a little shelf space; and maybe even get our $4 back.

Alien: Covenant - I'm not a huge fan of the franchise as a whole, but I like them ok. Ridley Scott is hit or miss with me.

All the Money in the World - Apparently this is also Ridley Scott. Got it because the preview looked good.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Black Friday DVD purchases

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:As is my custom, I buy a lot of new movies this time of year. Here's this year's haul. Most of them were $2 or $4.

Black Panther - One of only 2 MCU movies I haven't seen yet, and one of only a few that I didn't own. Really looking forward to seeing this.
It's good.
Avengers: Infinity War - Saw it in theaters, really looking forward to seeing it again.
Meh.
The Shape of Water - Just because of the hype. And because of del Toro.
Yeah it's pretty good.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - Wanted to see this ever since seeing the preview.
Decent.
The Greatest Showman - Heard really good things.
Haven't seen it but I also picked up a copy during Black Friday.
Hacksaw Ridge - Looks interesting.
It's okay. Silence is the superior movie from 2016 about Andrew Garfield having his religious faith tested by violence in Japan.
After Earth - I really wanted to see this when it was coming out. Then I heard it was horrible. Also one of the few Shyamalan movies I didn't have. Only got it because it was $2 though.
I didn't love this but it wasn't the worst thing ever or anything. I think it's an average film that the hate for is a bit hyperbolic.
Darkest Hour - Really looking forward to this.
Lol why? It's got little going for it.
Pacific Rim Uprising - Just because I like the first one. I heard this one isn't so good.
I liked this one quite a bit though considering its a bunch of Gundam and Evangelion references crammed together it's basically made for me.
It (2017) - As a fan of the cheesy miniseries, and of King in general, I'm looking forward to this.
It's better than the miniseries.
Justice League - I'm glad I got the bare-bones nothing edition for $4 instead of anything fancy. I just wanted to see it.
Haven't seen it yet but I like the DC movies. Shame about what happened during the production that lead to Whedon coming on board though.
Game Night - My wife said I'd like this one.
It's pretty fun for what it is.
Annihilation - Some people on this forum said it was good. Looks interesting.
It's not.
Night at the Museum Collection - So I had the first, and just recently got the second for my wife. This was $4 for all 3 films; and now we can try to get rid of the first 2. Save a little shelf space; and maybe even get our $4 back.
They're not great movies but I have a bit of a soft spot for them.
Alien: Covenant - I'm not a huge fan of the franchise as a whole, but I like them ok. Ridley Scott is hit or miss with me.
I liked it. I'm also not a huge Alien guy either, but I felt like Covenant had a lot of the strengths of Prometheus while not having the flaws of that film to the same degree.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I like a grand total of one movie there.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Silence
I didn't realize Silence was Andrew Garfield. We read the book in an Asian Studies class in college.
Lol why? It's got little going for it.
That's not what it looks like from the previews. I mean, Gary Oldman; sold. Reviews look good.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I didn't care too much Hacksaw Ridge, Rax. I've always found pro-war movies to be offensive.

Deadpool 2 was a snooze too. I had kinda enjoyed the first one. Maybe watching it on the airplane screen wasn't the 'right' way to experience it though. But then I also watched Black Panther like that and I liked it.

Coco was great! Seen it twice now, and both times someone started to cut onions in the film's final moments.

Didn't care for Baby Driver.

The Greatest Showman is an overly sentimental feel-good musical but dammit if it didn't somehow reel me in.

This list reminds me I need to see Dunkirk.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I didn't care too much Hacksaw Ridge, Rax. I've always found pro-war movies to be offensive.
Eh I dunno that it's really a pro-war movie though, especially when the guy its glorifying is specifically a medic who helped both sides.

Personally speaking I found it way less troubling than something like Saving Private Ryan, and I'm someone who is generally way more biased in favor of Spielberg than I am for Mel Gibson.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris