Zelda

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Zelda

Post by Gendo »

Zelda has been discussed in a few various threads. But starting a thread for it because I play a lot of Zelda.

So BOTW was discussed in the Switch thread, but never got it's own topic. I played BOTW throughout most of 2017; spending far more time on it than I have on any other video game ever. About 250 hours total. Like all Zelda games, I played it together with my wife.

I got 100% of everything, about as much as you can. All koroks, shrines, side quests, map locations, etc. All armor and full armor upgrades. All DLC stuff. Except Amiibo-only stuff.

Anyway, it's my favorite video game of all time, at least in terms of how good of an experience it was playing it. It might not be as replayable as some other Zeldas, because the best part about it was the exploration and discovery. Now that I know everything the map has to offer, it's not as exciting.

However, I did recently start playing a Master Mode game; having been almost a year since finishing the game. It is fun to start over; and Master Mode is ridiculously difficult. For this playthrough, I basically plan on getting strong enough that I can defeat Ganon without the help of the divine beasts; so I'll avoid beating them just to get to experience that version of the Ganon fight. I'm about 28 Shrines in.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Zelda

Post by Gendo »

So, aside from playing BOTW again, I've started Twilight Princess HD. Played through Twilight Princess a couple times, but not the remake before. Turns out it's really difficult to switch back and forth between BOTW and TP; which I've been doing a bunch; even multiple back and forths within the same day. They look similar, and have just enough similarities that I can feel like I'm playing the same thing. But the playstyle and controls are completely different. Even a different button for sword swing, which isn't customizable. I keep trying to climb up walls in TP, or jump, etc. I keep using items accidentally because the sword button in BOTW is an item in TP. It's weird.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I have pretty mixed feelings about Zelda. Twilight Princess was so bland that it legit killed my interest in the franchise for the longest time, I couldn't even get past the prologue of Skyward Sword without falling asleep, and while I didn't hate it I found Breath of the Wild to be fairly underwhelming.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to make another Zelda even half as ambitious as Majora's Mask (Which in my book is one of the ten or so best games ever made) was but it doesn't look like it'll ever happen again.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64, so my Zelda experience ends with that. It's honestly the one franchise that could tempt me to pick up a Nintendo as I loved most all the games in the series up until then and it seems from the reviews that the series hasn't dipped any in quality since. Ocarina of Time still stands as probably my favorite gaming experience (along with the original Metal Gear Solid).
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Well I beat BOTW master mode. Without doing any Divine Beasts. That makes for an insanely difficult boss fight.

So in Master Mode, enemies will start to regenerate their health if they go too long without taking damage. In the second phase of the Ganon fight, he goes into an invincible mode, where you have to wait until he attacks an a way that you can counter to make him vulnerable again to get a few hits in. So basically, you do a little damage, then he goes invincible. Based on RNG, he will eventually do an attack that you can counter... you have to hope that he does this soon enough before he has regained all of his health back. Then, you have to counter... if you miss a counter, it's almost definite that he will get back to full health again before you get another chance. And countering isn't easy.

You basically can't die either if you come prepared. So the first time I tried, I spend over an hour locked in a single battle... both of us constantly regaining all our health back whenever damage was dealt. I managed to do it the second time. A lot of fun, but super frustrating. a great boss fight.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Did some more on BOTW, but now done with it again. Should finish up Twilight Princess soon.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Link's Awakening is getting a remake. [gonemad]
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah; another one I'll be getting at some point. I remember liking Link's Awakening well enough; though I don't have huge nostalgia for it or anything. I like the improved graphics though; and my wife will enjoy it with me; that's one of the few Zelda's she's never played; and probably never would if not for the remake.

Not as exciting as a new Zelda game announcement, but it's something!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I never beat Link's Awakening back in the day but it was one I remember enjoying a lot from what I played of it.

Now I'm wondering if I should dig out my old GBC cart and beat the old version properly and then the new one, or just wait for the new one. Hard to tell if its the same game but with a facelift or not.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So speaking of portable Zelda titles... we finished Twilight Princess HD (100%) and have now started Spirit Tracks. One of the very few Zelda games left that I haven't played.

So far, it's fun, but a little too similar to Phantom Hourglass. Just because it's also a touchscreen game shouldn't automatically mean that so many other game elements are the same as well.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Close to the end of Spirit Tracks... I really like it! It gets better as you get further. It's really exploration-based; where you can run around the world and suddenly find things that you didn't know would be there. Some difficult challenges if you want to get the highest ranking in the various minigames.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Woah. I was there plenty, but never noticed!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Been replaying BOTW for the past month or so. Just randomly felt like it. It doesn't live up to the magic I felt when playing it for the first time, but that was inevitable when the best part about it was finding new things for the first time. But there's a lot I don't remember off-hand, so I'll find stuff and it's fun to suddenly remember it. I've also found a couple little things that I'm pretty sure I never found the first time around.

Doing all shrines, all memories, all divine beasts. Just 12 Shrines left to find and then I go win.