Finger Eleven

Gendo
Site Admin

Finger Eleven

Post by Gendo »

So "One Thing" is an awesome song:

The other day I was listening to it and thought "oh, I wonder what else Finger Eleven has done? So I went and looked up a bunch of their stuff. And wow... they aren't at all the same genre as "One Thing". Even all of the other songs on the same album as "One Thing" are completely different. And I really don't like any of their stuff. They sound kind of like Hoobastank, except not as good.

Hard to believe that they did "One Thing".
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Finger Eleven

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Are you aware that it's a cover?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Are you aware that it's a cover?

Not according to anything I can find! There seems to be an unrelated song by the same title, by One Directon. But the internet says that One Thing was written by Finger Eleven, and that's the only version I can find.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Oh. Lol, I guess not. Nevermind.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I remember this one. It sounds very, VERY late-90s/early-00s alternative rock ballad. There were plenty of these types of songs around that time in that genre, though this one's still pretty good. But, yeah, it was a common occurrence during this era that you had these hard/alternative rock bands that would mostly play loud/heavy stuff, but then they'd have one "hit" that ended up being a ballad that sounded nothing like their other stuff. Perhaps the most infamous case was The Goo Goo Dolls who started out as a kind of punk/rock band, but then they released Iris, which was such a massive hit that afterwards they completely changed their sound/style and started writing almost nothing but ballads like that one.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

That's cool about the Goo Goo Dolls, I didn't know that. I mean, I knew they had some harder stuff; but didn't know they made a switch after Iris.

Fun fact... you know the baby on the cover of "A Boy Named Goo"?

That was one of my best friends in college. He went by the nickname "Goo".
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Yeah, and it sucks because I really enjoyed GGD early stuff. Superstar Car Wash was especially a favorite of mine and it's a shame (and mystery!) why it was such a flop. One of my favorite riffs of the 90s is on Falling Down (though it sounds kinda 80s):

That's awesome that you knew the guy on the cover ABNG! I'm sure he was too young to remember it, but did he have any story about how that cover/photoshoot came about?
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah, his dad was an semi-professional photographer and had published a book of photos he took; including that one. Someone from the Goo Goo Dolls came across the book, and thought the picture would book good for their album; contacted him about using it.

Hey cool, just came across this article about it: http://www.mtv.com/news/1567107/iconic- ... thers-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Cool story and article. Years ago I briefly got into photography/photographers and started noticing how often the covers of albums were often either photographs I knew or by photographers I knew. First that springs to mind is the Jan Saudek work on the cover of Soul Asylum's Grave Dancers Union. I always loved that image, too.