Evangelion on Netflix

Gendo
Site Admin

Evangelion on Netflix

Post by Gendo »

I assume you guys heard about this? They re-did all the dubs with new voice actors.

Also, check out the awesome new opening theme!

https://twitter.com/PyrOMG/status/1142132063748816896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Evangelion on Netflix

Post by Raxivace »

They redid the translation of the subs too, and IMO made a lot of stupid changes (I.e. going with First Children instead of First Child even in the dub) and some that are outright offensive (Trying to degay Kaworu which just feels like calculated shittyness). GameSpot of all sites actually has a pretty decent breakdown of some what they changed.

Netflix is basically the worst thing to happen to Evangelion since the manga's dumb as fuck ending IMHO. If we we ever get a proper blu-ray release of Eva now in America it'll probably be based on this Netflix release which is just maddening.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

As someone who only ever watches original language stuff; "First Children" is what I'm used to. Interesting article, though.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I would say "Children" is a pretty poor bit of Engrish to leave intact. FWIW the Platinum DVD's (Which are probably the best release of NGE overall) had enough sense to localize "Children" as "Child" for the subtitles.

I'd have to double check but I'm fairly certain the official Rebuild subs go for "Child" instead of "Children" as well despite other minor loclization differences (I know those use "Gendoh" instead of "Gendo" for instance).
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

"Gendoh" is weird... Gendou would be the more proper romanization of the actual Hirigana.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Huh, looking more into it seems 3.33 uses "Gendoh" but 1.11 and 2.22 both use "Gendou". Odd discrepancy I never noticed before.

The English release of 3.33 was pretty bizarre as it was, maybe that has something to do with it.

EDIT: Huh, for a point of comparison it seems the English version of Super Robot Wars V goes for "Gendo" even though its specifically adapting the Rebuild plot with its Eva stages.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »