Black Friday DVD purchases; 2019 edition

Gendo
Site Admin

Black Friday DVD purchases; 2019 edition

Post by Gendo »

Freaky Friday - The original, of course.

The Nice Guys - Been wanting to see this for a while; because Shane Black.

Chaplin - I've never actually seen a Charlie Chaplin movie; I should do something about that.

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part - Big fan of the first one, and of Lego Batman.

South Park Season 22 - I haven't actually watched Season 21 yet.

Captain Marvel - It was ok; I'm still missing a couple of MCU movies in the middle; but I have the rest.

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Great movie; Jake Gyllenhaal is the best.

War for the Planet of the Apes - I didn't really like this movie that much. But I pretty much had to get it because I already had the other 8 Planet of the Apes movies. And it was a 3D for really cheap.

Creed II - The first one was great.

A Star is Born - A lot of people were talking about how this was good; hopefully it is.

Aquaman - At least it's not Zack Snyder.

The Post - Another movie that looked interesting; good cast.

Family Guy Season 16 - This show definitely has gotten repetitive and somewhat forgettable; but I still found myself somewhat enjoying Season 15 as a whole.

Minions - I liked Despicable Me, so I bought this one.

Green Book - Looks very Oscar-baity.

Crazy Rich Asians - I've heard good stuff. Doesn't seem like my kind of movie; but it was cheap.

Us - Really looking forward to this one.

Hereditary - Great horror movie.

A Quiet Place - Ok horror movie.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - I already had the other 5.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - I still haven't seen the first one.

Wonder - I've heard good stuff.

Escape Room - The 2019 one. There's also 2 different movies with the exact same title from 2017 that I want to see.

Avengers: Endgame - I don't care what Scorsese or you movie buffs around here say; this was a great film.

Glass - Looking forward to this; even though I heard it was disappointing.

The Mule - Clint Eastwood is hit or miss with me; this looked interesting.

Bad Times at the El Royale - Seems like something I'll enjoy.

Yesterday - Always glad to see new concepts and plots in movies.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Of course.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - I bet this is going to be terrible. Still; I already had the other 4.

BlacKkKlansman - I still have a few other Spike Lee things I need to watch; but looking forward to this.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Black Friday DVD purchases; 2019 edition

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:Chaplin - I've never actually seen a Charlie Chaplin movie; I should do something about that.
Is this a boxset? Or the Robert Downey Jr. movie? But yeah you should be watching Chaplin's movies. Also Buster Keaton.

I can take or leave Harold Lloyd.
Captain Marvel - It was ok; I'm still missing a couple of MCU movies in the middle; but I have the rest.
I thought this was pretty blah and certainly a contender for the worst MCU film.
Creed II - The first one was great.
I haven't seen this yet but I also grabbed it while it was cheap.
A Star is Born - A lot of people were talking about how this was good; hopefully it is.
I thought it was pretty solid, though the 50's version is probably the best overall IMO.
The Post - Another movie that looked interesting; good cast.
I liked it when I watched it but I've really cooled on it over time.
Green Book - Looks very Oscar-baity.
It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, and its not quite as regressive as Driving Miss Daisy but it does feel like an update on it in some ways.
Crazy Rich Asians - I've heard good stuff. Doesn't seem like my kind of movie; but it was cheap.
I thought about picking this one up too but I still have it on my DVR at the moment. Still haven't watched it yet.
Us - Really looking forward to this one.
I thought it was interesting though a bit more mysterious with what its doing than Get Out was.
Hereditary - Great horror movie.
I thought it was super bleh all around. Rosemary's Baby is superior version of Hereditary, and The Seventh Victim is the superior version of Rosemary's Baby.
A Quiet Place - Ok horror movie.
This on the other hand I very much disagree with you on. It's pretty good IMO, if not a bit too video gamey in its logic, though I wonder what the upcoming sequel could add to the story.
Escape Room - The 2019 one. There's also 2 different movies with the exact same title from 2017 that I want to see.
I saw one of the 2017 versions and thought that was okay.
Avengers: Endgame - I don't care what Scorsese or you movie buffs around here say; this was a great film.
It's alright though hardly any great accomplishment in any department except marketing. I don't think it will be remembered in 30 years, maybe even less if the trajectory of something like Cameron's Avatar is any indication- though even that looks imaginative next to most of these Marvel movies.
Glass - Looking forward to this; even though I heard it was disappointing.
I also have this one waiting on my DVR.
The Mule - Clint Eastwood is hit or miss with me; this looked interesting.
I liked it well enough.
Bad Times at the El Royale - Seems like something I'll enjoy.
I haven't written a post about it yet but I watched it the other night and enjoyed it well enough.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Of course.
Much more impressive than Avengers Endgame IMO.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - I bet this is going to be terrible. Still; I already had the other 4.
It's not terrible, it's just not exactly good either. Certainly far from the heights of the original Jurassic Park.
BlacKkKlansman - I still have a few other Spike Lee things I need to watch; but looking forward to this.
It's good IMO.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Besides both featuring demon cults I'm not sure what Rosemary's Baby and Hereditary have to do with each other.

I think Infinity War is far and away the worst MCU film I've seen in terms of story. Captain Marvel is blah but at least it doesn't have glaring overwhelming problems.

Avengers: Endgame isn't even remembered now. It was the biggest movie of all time and it seems like everyone just stopped talking or thinking about three weeks after it came out. I barely see it discussed anymore. Avatar is mocked for having "no cultural impact" for such a big movie, but I think Endgame is gonna beat it there.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:
Gendo wrote:Chaplin - I've never actually seen a Charlie Chaplin movie; I should do something about that.
Is this a boxset? Or the Robert Downey Jr. movie?
The RDJ movie.