The Endless

Faustus5
Super Poster

The Endless

Post by Faustus5 »

I would recommend this extremely low budget indie flick if you liked movies such as The Triangle and Coherence. The less said, the better. That is all.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: The Endless

Post by Raxivace »

I saw this movie last year and quite liked it. I would recommend watching the movie Resolution from the same directors first though for reasons that will become obvious partway through The Endless.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

There's a few movies by the name “Triangle". Do you mean the 2009 with Melissa George? If so; I'm in.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote:There's a few movies by the name “Triangle". Do you mean the 2009 with Melissa George? If so; I'm in.
That's the one. I believe you are the one who brought it to my attention, so I'm returning the favor!
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I clicked on this thread expecting there was finally going to be a Sandman adaptation. I am dissapoint.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just got this for Christmas; looking forward to watching it soon!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:Just got this for Christmas; looking forward to watching it soon!
Watch Resolution first!!!!!!!!
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:
Gendo wrote:Just got this for Christmas; looking forward to watching it soon!
Watch Resolution first!!!!!!!!
I missed that when you mentioned it originally; so hadn't even heard of Resolution. Luckily, the blu-ray was a reasonable price on Amazon (unlike The Endless, which is why it sat on my wish list until I got it as a gift), so I just ordered it.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote: I missed that when you mentioned it originally; so hadn't even heard of Resolution. Luckily, the blu-ray was a reasonable price on Amazon (unlike The Endless, which is why it sat on my wish list until I got it as a gift), so I just ordered it.
So I never knew The Endless and Resolution were set in the same "universe" and didn't have the benefit of seeing Resolution first. Well, I just watched it now and definitely wish I had watched them in the "right" order. I'm sure I would have liked The Endless even more if I had.

So Gendo, given what I assume is a quarantine for you, have you had a chance to watch these yet?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Not yet, but maybe Resolution tonight.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Maybe it's just me enjoying clichéd horror twists; but I found myself wanting more concrete explanations of the events in both films. Especially Resolution; where you really have to watch The Endless in order to know what happened. I think Resolution could have even gone as far as showing the start of a new loop at the very end, to make it clear that this was their fate. I don't know for sure if we're supposed to assume that the events of Resolution were the very first loop for them; or perhaps it could have just been any 1 random loop. If the latter; they could have shown something to make it clear that they'd already been through this before.

I do really like the tie-in between the two. Maybe it's just because I really liked the characters from Resolution; but the crossover scene in The Endless was probably my favorite part.

I also wonder to what degree are people able to know that they're in a loop? It's clear that they do know; Mike and Chris are sure of it (when we see them in The Endless), and all the people in the camp seem to know it. Even Aaron and Justin know for sure that they will be if they don't leave the camp. Yet it's really never explained how any of them would know that. From the little we see, I guess that they retain all of their memories from each loop? But if this is the case, then why does Mike and Chris's new loop start with them having the exact same conversation they they did at the start of Resolution? Were they just acting it out, or do they automatically start out exactly the same, only to realize at some point into it that it's all repeating?

Assuming that they do actually retain all memories, and thus Chris and Mike just chose to start with the same conversation in order to try and appease "it", this still doesn't explain how Aaron and Justin seemed to have a completely clear idea of what would happen if they stayed. They didn't just piece together a vague concept that there was something involving looping happening; they make clear statements that the choice is either leave now or stay and loop forever.

I also would have liked to see more about Mike and Chris's second though twentieth loops; their discovery that they were stuck in a loop; when they presumably were trying everything they can to just leave the area as fast as possible to get free. Rather than skipping ahead to their 250th or so time when they were just trying to play out different stories for the monster.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote:Maybe it's just me enjoying clichéd horror twists; but I found myself wanting more concrete explanations of the events in both films. Especially Resolution; where you really have to watch The Endless in order to know what happened. I think Resolution could have even gone as far as showing the start of a new loop at the very end, to make it clear that this was their fate. I don't know for sure if we're supposed to assume that the events of Resolution were the very first loop for them; or perhaps it could have just been any 1 random loop. If the latter; they could have shown something to make it clear that they'd already been through this before.

I do really like the tie-in between the two. Maybe it's just because I really liked the characters from Resolution; but the crossover scene in The Endless was probably my favorite part.

I also wonder to what degree are people able to know that they're in a loop? It's clear that they do know; Mike and Chris are sure of it (when we see them in The Endless), and all the people in the camp seem to know it. Even Aaron and Justin know for sure that they will be if they don't leave the camp. Yet it's really never explained how any of them would know that. From the little we see, I guess that they retain all of their memories from each loop? But if this is the case, then why does Mike and Chris's new loop start with them having the exact same conversation they they did at the start of Resolution? Were they just acting it out, or do they automatically start out exactly the same, only to realize at some point into it that it's all repeating?

Assuming that they do actually retain all memories, and thus Chris and Mike just chose to start with the same conversation in order to try and appease "it", this still doesn't explain how Aaron and Justin seemed to have a completely clear idea of what would happen if they stayed. They didn't just piece together a vague concept that there was something involving looping happening; they make clear statements that the choice is either leave now or stay and loop forever.

I also would have liked to see more about Mike and Chris's second though twentieth loops; their discovery that they were stuck in a loop; when they presumably were trying everything they can to just leave the area as fast as possible to get free. Rather than skipping ahead to their 250th or so time when they were just trying to play out different stories for the monster.
Glad you enjoyed these.

Did you notice the long shot in The Endless over the landscape showing various bubbles scattered around? The implication is that there are different little "universes" or time/dimension traps scattered all over. The filmmakers could keep on making more movies, each one set in a different bubble with different characters. I hope they do so long as they can keep being inventive.