Unvoiced 2020 Movies - Theatrical Viewings

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Unvoiced 2020 Movies - Theatrical Viewings

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

The Invisible Man - Great psychological thriller. You can really feel the tension. I've seen this twice now and well worth it. The cinematography really helps in making you think there's something there. Great acting by the cast, because without that, it can look ridiculous. Instead, you can still "feel" the weight of the Invisible Man and his attacks.

Onward - And now for something a little different. Newest Pixar movie about two brothers who try to bring back their deceased father for one day through a spell but it fails. They go on a grand quest to find a component to complete the spell but only have 24 hours. And did I forget to mention this is a fantasy world set in modern times, and magic has been all but lost & replaced by technology? It was yet another fun; emotional story from Pixar that goes in a slightly different direction that you're expecting. There's a weighty decision for one character but it's a very emotional one that shows his development. Also tons of D&D references as in this movie the game is essentially based on history.

I highly recommend both movies.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Unvoiced 2020 Movies - Theatrical Viewings

Post by Raxivace »

Invisible Man is that good? The trailers looked kind of blah to me, but the positive buzz I've been hearing has me curious.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Raxivace wrote:Invisible Man is that good? The trailers looked kind of blah to me, but the positive buzz I've been hearing has me curious.
I don't want to overhype it, but I really appreciate the little surprises that did come and that couldn't have been done without consideration for how it's shot. Couple that with the acting and it's a damn good thriller.

The director is Lee Whannelll, who directed Saw and Upgrade. It's pretty clear he puts a lot of consideration behind his movies.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Well I'm going to go check out Invisible Man today then. I'll let you know what I think.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I have to admit to still kind of having low expectations going in, but Invisible Man was very, very good. Definitely one of my most pleasant surprises in a while.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Where do you go? Though I rarely go to theaters; it's always the Cinemark Raleigh Grande.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Gendo wrote:Where do you go? Though I rarely go to theaters; it's always the Cinemark Raleigh Grande.
AMC DINE-IN Holly Springs 9. Its not a very good theater at all tbh but its pretty close to where I live.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Where do you go? Though I rarely go to theaters; it's always the Cinemark Raleigh Grande.
I have two theaters in my area. Alamo is my favorite of the two. Generally they have a no tolerance policy cell phones, talking, and even infants in theaters. But I try to go to the Alamo as much as possible whenever they have special screenings because they have nice little souvenirs. I just saw Cats (which is delightfully horrifying) and we had cat ears, name tags for our Jellicle name, glowsticks, and wands. But I've also been to things like their Spacells quote along, Clue movie party, and Army of Darkness movie party. They're all a lot of fun and gives a different vibe to movies.

However, I actually usually go to AMC Potomac because I like their Stubs A-list program (3 movies per week, any format, $21 a month).
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:
AMC DINE-IN Holly Springs 9. Its not a very good theater at all tbh but its pretty close to where I live.
Ah, you aren't quite as close to me as I had been thinking; thought maybe you went to the same theater even.
However, I actually usually go to AMC Potomac because I like their Stubs A-list program (3 movies per week, any format, $21 a month).
We used to go to Patomac Mills sometimes for a movie; because it was much nicer than the ones actually in DC itself (other than the Uptown).
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Raxivace wrote:
Ah, you aren't quite as close to me as I had been thinking; thought maybe you went to the same theater even.
We used to go to Patomac Mills sometimes for a movie; because it was much nicer than the ones actually in DC itself (other than the Uptown).

Unfortunately, if it weren't for the Stubs subscription, I would be making the change to Alamo as my main theater. The theaters in AMC are hardly ever clean. The food they have is just a sad attempt to update their concessions. Alamo is like a theater with full menu & wait staff.

If I didn't like going to premium formats like Dolby or IMAX and Alamo's season pass would let me buy tickets longer than a week in advance, Alamo would be getting all my money.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

We have an Alamo here too; though I've never actually been. The fact that it has a full staff and menu makes me think of it as other theaters I have been to that's half restaurant and half theater; which makes the theater part itself not as good for movies. Like there's a difference between a restaurant that shows a movie, and a movie theater that has good food.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:We have an Alamo here too; though I've never actually been. The fact that it has a full staff and menu makes me think of it as other theaters I have been to that's half restaurant and half theater; which makes the theater part itself not as good for movies. Like there's a difference between a restaurant that shows a movie, and a movie theater that has good food.
I would encourage you to try it. The pre show they have isn't cheap commercials. But rather content themed to the movie you're about to see (well some might technically be commercials but more because they're old or international ones that don't really have no promotional value here). I would argue the theater experience is just as good if not better due to their general no tolerance policy of talking, cell phone use, & kids under 3. However, they do have "Alamo for All" that has screenings for consideration of new parents and guests with special needs.

It's still more movie theater that has a full menu than a restaurant that shows movies IMHO.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cool. But are staff bringing out food/drinks in the middle of the show; people ordering more; etc? Is that not a distraction?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Cool. But are staff bringing out food/drinks in the middle of the show; people ordering more; etc? Is that not a distraction?
There are some people that order more food but the staff do a pretty good job of getting in & out. It's no more noticeable than the people who have to get up to pee in the middle of the movie. My first visit to Alamo (in Loudoun) I found to be a slight distraction but I've gotten used to it. And I'll take that slight distraction over theaters who refuse to enforce their no talking & no cell phone policies.

And food orders are taken by writing them down and placing the order card in a spot for staff to see. So no talking or lingering necessary while ordering.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ok cool. My wife has actually gone a few times; I just haven't yet. I have been to one of those pub/cinema places near here; but that really is more of a restaurant/pub feel that also is showing a movie. Fine for some things; depending on the type of movie.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

The Hunt - entertaining but as a satire, I don't think it quite hits the message it's trying send. But the characters and action are still entertaining.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm morbidly curious about The Hunt but I'm not sure Damon Lindelof and political satire is a mix I really want.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Raxivace wrote:I'm morbidly curious about The Hunt but I'm not sure Damon Lindelof and political satire is a mix I really want.
If you're looking for smart political satire, I wouldn't recommend it. If you're looking for a fun movie with a political bent that doesn't really go anywhere, you'll enjoy it. I will say Damon Lindelof being involved really explains the incomplete execution of the message.