Long movies

Gendo
Site Admin

Long movies

Post by Gendo »

I'm starting to struggle to figure out what to watch on a given evening. A lot of the ones I have left that I own but haven't seen fall into 2 categories: Ones my wife wants to watch with me, and ones that are 3 hours long or longer.

On nights when I'm free to watch a movie alone (like tonight); I put my son to bed around 8:00, and I'm generally pretty tired by that point. Even though I'm going to be up past midnight anyway; if I start a 3 hour movie that late, I feel like I'm likely to have trouble staying awake during it.

I'll try for Patton tonight, but we'll see how it goes.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Long movies

Post by Raxivace »

You could always try splitting longer movies over a few nights I guess. That's what I have to do sometimes anyways- its not ideal, but its better than nothing.

I thought Patton was only alright btw. The most interesting about it is probably that Francis Ford Coppola was a writer on the screenplay, and it basically kicked off his string of 70's successes. Its also kind of interesting that he bookends that decade with a WWII film and a Vietnam film at the end in Apocalypse Now.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I agree with Raxi, but I'd add that many long movies had "intermissions" that make for a natural stopping place. IIRC, Patton had one. Of course, by my standards we aren't talking "long movies" until we get to something like the 7.5 hour Satantango, which I actually did watch in a single night... somehow.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Thanks for the input. Didn't work out last night; got son to bed a bit late so didn't want to try for a longer one after that.