13 Years Ago Today

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Faustus5
Super Poster

13 Years Ago Today

Post by Faustus5 »

It was board game night at my place. Two of my buddies had arrived and we were engaged in aimless banter when the power flicked off, then on, then off and on. Weird, we thought. The sound of the air conditioning would have masked the rumbling in the background.

A few minutes later, the phone rings. I answer and it is my best friend, who breathlessly tells me that just as he was about to drive onto it, the I-35 bridge collapsed in front of him and fell into the river.

Once he arrived, it took a while for him to settle down enough to start playing. Don't remember what we played. . .our game collections were a lot, lot smaller back then. I mean, we didn't even have Dominion at that time, which wouldn't be published until the next year.

The parking lot of the place where I worked became ground zero for the recovery effort, so life was strange for a while. . .but at least I still had my best friend!
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: 13 Years Ago Today

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Good story. The only one I have that's similar also happened 13 years ago. We had a severe ice storm that knocked out power for 60 hours and over 400k people in the state/city were affected. I don't think we played games because everyone was too worried about trying to stay warm (this happened in January IIRC) and helping with the cleanup. It's hard to describe if you've never been through one, but literally everything was encased in ice. Huge trees had so much weight on them from the ice that branches were constantly falling and shattering to pieces on the ground. Some trees split literally down the middle so that they looked like the peel of an unpeeled banana. I actually went out on the day after and snapped some pics. I posted them on EvaGeeks years ago but unfortunately they're gone by now. I know I still have them somewhere, but I have no idea where. Maybe on my old computer or some backup hard drive.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Man I remember that collapse. I went to college in Minnesota so I had a lot of friends who lived right there.

I didn't realize you were into board games; or I just forgot. Dominion is my all-time favorite; I'm super active at the Dominion Strategy Forums.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote: I didn't realize you were into board games; or I just forgot. Dominion is my all-time favorite; I'm super active at the Dominion Strategy Forums.
Hell, my registered collection of board games on BGG is up to 156, so I'm beyond being into board games! You may remember that I started a thread on Wingspan last year, which remains my group's favorite and is still the most played thing in my collection.

We played Dominion a lot when it first came out, got a little burned out on it, and then suddenly the hobby began to explode with variety and all of our collections grew like crazy, so we started playing different games. Basically, at least one person was introducing a new game every time we got together. I still have about half a dozen that have never been brought to the table for one reason or another.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Faustus5 wrote:
Gendo wrote: I didn't realize you were into board games; or I just forgot. Dominion is my all-time favorite; I'm super active at the Dominion Strategy Forums.
Hell, my registered collection of board games on BGG is up to 156, so I'm beyond being into board games!
Amateur. https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/GendoIkari_82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may remember that I started a thread on Wingspan last year, which remains my group's favorite and is still the most played thing in my collection.
Ah yes. I still need to give that a second try.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote: Amateur.
Damn, and I thought I'd impress you with my count! That'll learn me.