Election night

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Gendo
Site Admin

Election night

Post by Gendo »

So what's everyone doing to stay mentally healthy tonight? Watching results as they come in, avoiding it all-together until later, etc? I'll probably watch something while keeping an eye on results in the background.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Election night

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Wait, there's an election today?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I've been following election coverage on the news. Lmao I'm not confident.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

CNN and CNBC are calling Biden as President-Elect now.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Looks like basically everyone is. I'll feel comfortable when I see him sworn in.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Man I can't even be mildly thrilled by this anymore. My grandfather called today and told us his wife has the fuckin' covid. He's in pretty poor condition himself and if he gets it (Or even the stress of losing her), that's probably it then.

That's just great, one last "fuck you" from this shitty fucking presidency's handling of this mess and this shitty fucking year. God damn.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I'm very sorry to hear that, Rax. I hope it turns out all right.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I'm very sorry to hear that, Rax. I hope it turns out all right.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm just hoping for the best for the both of them now.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

So I just heard that Trump might run again in 2024.

Here I thought some ghoul like Tucker Carlson or Tom Cotton or Ted Cruz or whatever would be most likely to be the R nominee next, and I didn't even think of the possibility of fucking Trump running again. Why wouldn't he? He's likely to run again. And if he does, it's likely he'll win the nomination again, depending on how competent the Republican establishment is at stopping him. Republicans love him and they think he was cheated. They'll nominate him again. I can't really imagine at this point them rejecting him if he runs again. And if he is the nominee, how likely is it he'll win... again? Maybe not very. But if Biden turns out to be as horrible as progressives are predicting, I think the chance is significant.

Is a four-years-older Biden going to do a good job at fending off Trump again? I guess we'll find out!
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I started out fine on Tuesday. Biden losing FL so quickly and easily was a bit of a surprise, but you know....Florida. North Carolina and Georgia also weren't looking great (GA had some weird issues going on so votes from Atlanta got delayed), but I was still optimistic. But then results in TX were a lot redder than expected, and later eastern Ohio that borders PA, and I was just about convinced Trump was going to win again. It wasn't until AZ (lol) and NE-02 were called that I started thinking Biden might pull it off. I didn't sleep that much that night
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I shut everything off after Texas came in, I think. For the rest of the night I was fully convinced Trump was actually going to win again. It was a sickening, nauseating, unbelieving feeling. I felt sort of how I felt in 2016. Anxiety and nausea. Even taking into account the fact of the "red mirage", Tuesday still looked extremely, extremely bad. Then I checked in at midnight or one or whatever and Biden still looked safe even after all that, and my heart slowed down a bit.

But yeah if it wasn't for COVID Trump would have won in a landslide. Even with COVID, if Trump had just bothered to give off the impression that he was reacting to it responsibly (advocating masks, supporting lockdowns, listening to the scientists, performing some empathy, and so on), he probably would have won.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Derived Absurdity wrote:
But yeah if it wasn't for COVID Trump would have won in a landslide. Even with COVID, if Trump had just bothered to give off the impression that he was reacting to it responsibly (advocating masks, supporting lockdowns, listening to the scientists, performing some empathy, and so on), he probably would have won.

Not really sure I believe this. I think Trump would have won in a landslide had he actually responded properly to the pandemic. But if you look at places like Wisconsin, which was in the midst of a horrible surge in cases right at the time of the election, Trump beat his polls by like 5-6 points.