FFVII

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

FFVII

Post by Gendo »

The original, not the remake. We just started playing this last week. I couldn't help but notice that the back story is basically Evangelion. Government research team finds an ancient being during an archeological dig (Jenova/Adam), they use that being to create their own beings (Sephiroth, Rei, Evangelions, Angels). They keep the original stored in a secret place within their headquarters.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: FFVII

Post by Raxivace »

Sephiroth isn't created exactly, but that might be something of a translation error still retained in the original game or you just not being far enough in the game.

FF7 definitely took some inspiration from Evangelion though, but there's probably a bit of Carpenter's The Thing in there as well with some of what you mention.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Right; where I am (pretty early; most of what I know is from the long flashback scene where Cloud and Sephiroth are together at Mt. Nibel and Sephiroth discovers the truth about Jenova and the Ancients), I guess it gives the impression that they used Jenova to enhance Soldiers in some way. And then there's the fact that Jenova is also the name of Sephiroth's mother; which I'm assuming means in one way or another; he came from Jenova. It's definitely a bit confusing; and I think it's supposed to be. No spoilers though.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah FF7 is definitely part of that post-Eva trend of anime and Japanese games that let themselves willingly be less than straightforward.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I mean FF8 is one of my all-time favorite games and I think it has a great story, but it's also really out there and has parts that basically can't be followed.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I liked Triple Triad and generally the first disc of FF8, but the rest never did much for me.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Defeated Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon!

Fun but also annoying battles, quite difficult. I don't like that there's basically no choice but to use Knights of the Round a lot; practically nothing else hurts them enough to matter.

So for Emerald Weapon, it was a particularly crazy ending. After a long battle, I was down to 1 character left alive (not Cloud), at low health. I had no clue how much damage I had dealt out of his starting 1,000,000 HP. Bringing someone else back to life would have been pointless; Emerald would have just done an attack that killed all party members at once. So I did the strongest attack I could, a quad-cast Ultima which would deal about 12,000 damage. Knowing that if it didn't kill him, I was dead and I would have to start all over. I needed to have already done about 988,000 damage in order to win. And it worked; it killed him.

Ruby took a few tries, but he's a bit more cheesable so it wasn't quite as hard.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »