GOT characters

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

GOT characters

Post by Cassius Clay »

Been thinking about game of thrones recently since I brought up that Cersei walk of shame scene. It's wild how nobody gives a damn anymore about a show that held much of pop culture hostage for the past decade or so. And a similar thing happened with the recent Star Wars trilogy...because the producers/writers/showrunners executed the conclusions so poorly that no one wants to be associated with them even as fans. I can't comprehend how that embarrassing level of incompetence was even allowed....with a show/movie so beloved worldwide. Tbh I still refuse to watch Season 8 because I saw where it was going, and I knew it was going to be bad. But from what I've heard about the conclusions of some character arcs, I actually didn't expect it to be that bad.

Anyways, I'm starting to go on a rant when I wanted to ask a simple question:

Is if fair the say that Cersei, Jaime, and the hound are the most interesting characters on that show by far?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: GOT characters

Post by Raxivace »

I didn't find season 8 to be particularly bad tbh or any of the character arcs to have particularly unreasonable conclusions. I do think the White Walker stuff was written in a weak a way ultimately since the Night King is only a character on like a technicality but fixing that isn't really a season 8 problem as much as a problem with the show as a whole.

Like I think I found 7 to be the worst season of the show overall, and that's mostly because of the weird plotting around Littlefinger in that season.

Jaime and Cersei were very good characters, yeah. I thought the Hound was funny (The chicken scene is a highlight of the show IMO), but I dunno if he was a particularly deep character really. Brann is actually the character I'd be most interesting in paying attention to on a rewatch, since I'm not exactly sure how much you're supposed to actually buy what he's going on about in those final seasons.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I honestly think Rax is the only person on the internet, and perhaps even the entire world, who doesn't hate Season 8 of Game of Thrones. Seriously if there's one thing in the world that unites everyone online it's the opinion that Season 8 of Game of Thrones sucked.

Since I've only seen half the show, my opinion on it only counts for half as much. But Cersei and Jaime were indeed two of the most interesting and layered characters. Theon and Sansa were also just as interesting.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Like most geniuses I'm doomed not to be appreciated in my own time...

Actually I think Maz and...Bruce, IIRC, were generally fine with season 8 as well. There might have been a fourth among us.

I think Sansa got interesting eventually but some of that early stuff (Particularly season 1 where she's at her most sheltered) was a bit rough. Theonn was kind of the opposite for me, where I found him pretty interesting in the beginning but "Reek" was fairly hit or miss for me.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I think Theon's arc in the second book is one of the most compelling and well-constructed in the series, and IIRC the show did it justice.

Sansa was very interesting in Season 2 imo, which is impressive when considered what she was up against. Season 2 of GOT was basically a smorgasbord of extremely interesting and dense individually isolated character arcs/storylines - Tyrion, Arya, Theon, Sansa, Catelyn, Jon Snow (Bran and Daenerys less so) - and she held her own. I thought all the palace intrigue, having to navigate a cruel and dangerous environment she doesn't belong in, her emotional struggle in attempting to balance her inherent idealism/romanticism with the brutal empty ugly reality she's trapped in, and her complicated relationship with the Hound were all very interesting. Not sure what happened to her after the fourth season or so.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

You know I forgot that particular Sansa stuff started that early so I'll amend my comment to say its really only season 1 Sansa I find frustrating (Which is by design I suppose). I think after season 5ish she becomes something of a mix of her mother and Littlefinger- though whether that's ultimately positive or not I think is somewhat ambiguous in the show at least.

Theon in season 2 and book 2 I like because he's got that that great mix of like, both horrifying and pathetic. That's just interesting in its own right but also something that feels increasingly relevant in modern times.

BTW I only ever read the first two books myself. Someday I'll go back to the others, and by time that happens the sixth book will finally be published.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Derived Absurdity wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:52 pm I honestly think Rax is the only person on the internet, and perhaps even the entire world, who doesn't hate Season 8 of Game of Thrones. Seriously if there's one thing in the world that unites everyone online it's the opinion that Season 8 of Game of Thrones sucked.
I'm another who didn't hate season 8 though I have some sympathy for those that do. I didn't love it, and I don't like the writers very much, but I didn't hate it.

Part of this comes from the fact that I was late to the game--I thought the books were boring and stopped reading them after the first few and couldn't be bothered to watch the show. Then as season 8 hit, everyone in the office was talking about it and the hype train sucked me in so I started watching the show starting around where I stopped reading the books somewhere in season 3 or 4. By the time the last few episodes where airing, I was finally caught up.

Thing is, because I had been binging the show for the last week, the actions of a certain dragon riding character, which pissed everyone else off, had been foretold and warned about practically every season before, so of course what she did came as zero surprise to me and struck me as perfectly in line with what every season I had just watched, freshly in my mind, had told me she would do when she arrived at her destination. Did I like it? Course not. But I think the way I watched the show made me perceive the end of the show differently than others.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Faustus we should gather the rest of us that didn't hate S8 and form a rock band or something.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I would think there are more people who liked S8 than you would imagine. Our voices get drowned out by all of the negativity.
Faustus5 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:06 pm Thing is, because I had been binging the show for the last week, the actions of a certain dragon riding character, which pissed everyone else off, had been foretold and warned about practically every season before, so of course what she did came as zero surprise to me and struck me as perfectly in line with what every season I had just watched, freshly in my mind, had told me she would do when she arrived at her destination. Did I like it? Course not. But I think the way I watched the show made me perceive the end of the show differently than others.
Curious, given that you saw it coming, why didn't you like it (other than for the obvious reason that you don't like watching innocent people get murdered)?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

maz89 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:44 pm Curious, given that you saw it coming, why didn't you like it (other than for the obvious reason that you don't like watching innocent people get murdered)?
In context, her actions no longer made any sense for her character.