We're back!

This sub forum is for discussion about the forum itself. FAQs, rules, issues, suggestions, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

We're back!

Post by Gendo »

Seriously GoDaddy is the worst. The absolute worst. The site just randomly goes down every once in a while, and then when you try to get support it's insane... super long wait times that are somehow always "longer than normal" (pretty sure that if it keeps happening, then it IS the "normal"). Then connected with someone who has no idea how websites work or anything. Then they make a ticket to have other people look into it... the next day, the ticket is updated with comments saying that the issue has been fixed. Except it's still broken. So I contact another support person who says the issue should be fixed but I need to give it a few more hours before I see it working again. 8 hours later I contact them AGAIN, and get connected with someone who, after 30 minutes of waiting and answering questions about the issue, resets the app pool and now it works. No reason given for why it was broken in the first place, and no reason given why someone couldn't have reset the app pool 36 hours ago when the site first broke.

Also a log of the automated messages I was getting while waiting. The first time:

Info at 15:48, Jan 5:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 9 minutes

Info at 15:55, Jan 5:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 7 minutes

Info at 16:02, Jan 5:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 9 minutes

Info at 16:13, Jan 5:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 20 minutes

Another time:

Info at 13:57, Jan 6:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 11 minutes

Info at 14:04, Jan 6:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 7 minutes

Info at 14:15, Jan 6:
Thank you for messaging GoDaddy. We are experiencing higher than normal volume. Hang in there, your estimated wait time is 3 minutes

Info at 14:23, Jan 6:

Ok rant over. I'm working on getting things moved over to Azure. I got some stuff set up today, the good news is I already got my other domain to be pointing there instead of to the GoDaddy site without too much trouble. But some of the subsites don't work; the ones that actually are running .Net. Not sure what's going on with that yet. If I have time I'll try to get the forum subsite moved over there this weekend.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: We're back!

Post by Raxivace »

Are we going to lose recent posts or anything like that once the site moves?
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: We're back!

Post by Gendo »

No. When I'm ready to actually cut over (after everything is set and working on the new hosting), I'll turn off the old site so nothing new could go there, copy all the data to the new site, then update the DNS to point to the new site. It can take an hour or more sometimes for DNS changes to show up everywhere, so some people could get a "site not available" message for a bit longer than others. The good news is that I cut over the DNS from my other domain yesterday, which used to point to this same site but now points to my new hosting, and it was easy to do and worked right away.