Apart from Gendo

Islandmur
Global Moderator

Apart from Gendo

Post by Islandmur »

Does anyone here hold any kind of beliefs ? spiritual wise that is?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: Apart from Gendo

Post by CashRules »

Yes
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

wow thanks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

[/thread]
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

The only reason I wanted to know was to know if it was worth it to start certain discussions , if there would be anyone else to talk with about things.

Nevermind.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Sorry Mur. I wasn't trying to be rude. I'm not an atheist and I have things I believe but I don't ever discuss very often.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

I was thinking about discussing certain things I believe in also, but honestly i'm a bit scared to discuss them here, because well everything is taken to such a level. I wanted people with at least some beliefs because I don't want debates or negative input as to my mental health. I thought it might help bring some life around. I don't mind contradictions by the way.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

If it's any help, while people here may make the occasional joke about my Christianity, I've never really felt like I've needed to hide things in order to keep my friends here. I don't believe that people will respect you less or make fun of you for sharing what you believe.

And I really do appreciate trying to start more discussions. It is indeed somewhat difficult when such a vast majority agree on so many things. From a quick look at the members list though, I see 4 other posters whom I think are Christians if I remember right: no_simple_highway, ampi, Anakin, and MrsO. But aside from Anakin, the others aren't really active.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

It's not the losing friendship that concerns me it's the negative input into the discussions. And they may make the jokes about YOUR Christianity, but they are very down on Christianity as a whole let alone discussing something with supernatural tones.

The one time I tried to discuss something back on IMDB I was asked if I was certain I didn't have hallucinations. That's not the kind of discussion that I want to have really lol.

It's just I tend to stick to one forum (i can't seem to keep up on two forums) so i'd like to be able to discuss everything where I hang. and I mean discussions and I think i would get negative comebacks in any forum, but here it's just we have more non believers then the average board.

And I don't mean christians only.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

No_simple_highway, Anakin, and Mrs. O are Christian. Ampi is spiritual and not an atheist, but I don't think she's Christian. Could be wrong though.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

DISCUSS IT.

Wherever you want. I give you permission.

Who cares what that Calvinist Gendo thinks anyway? [none]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I used to be super Catholic(I was even an altar boy for 5 years...not molested [none])...then I became super atheist and anti-religion. Then I began to distance myself from the atheist community because of how misogynistic and racist they are and realized that religion isn't the true cause of the world's problems, but merely a tool. Now, I have nothing against religion or spirituality....and might be somewhat spiritual myself.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Yeah, I have zero time for most atheist groups or movements or whatever because it's just a bunch of straight white boys calling all religious people idiots and saying that anyone who gets upset with the common thread of bigotry they manifest (i.e. minorities) is simply over-emotional and incapable of viewing the world with reason and logic (i.e. agreeing with straight white boys). They're all my sister's boyfriend, is what I'm saying [none]
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

I'm into spirituality, I meditate and do yoga and other stuff, it's a mixture of things i like from different disciplines.

I believe all things are connected. A few things have happened in my life for which I have no explanation for at this time.

I think I might expand of some of them in the future, I feel more comfortable now.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Islandmur wrote:It's not the losing friendship that concerns me it's the negative input into the discussions. And they may make the jokes about YOUR Christianity, but they are very down on Christianity as a whole let alone discussing something with supernatural tones.

The one time I tried to discuss something back on IMDB I was asked if I was certain I didn't have hallucinations. That's not the kind of discussion that I want to have really lol.

It's just I tend to stick to one forum (i can't seem to keep up on two forums) so i'd like to be able to discuss everything where I hang. and I mean discussions and I think i would get negative comebacks in any forum, but here it's just we have more non believers then the average board.

And I don't mean christians only.
If you don't want negative input into discussions about your beliefs then a forum with a lot of non-believers might not be the best place for them. I think most of us on here would try not to be a dick about it, but different people have different ideas about what constitutes being a dick. We might take the piss out of Gendo but it's because we know he has a sense of humour and can not only take it but give it back. Or maybe he just pretends to so he can hang out with us and cries himself to sleep every night. [none]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

aels wrote:They're all my sister's boyfriend, is what I'm saying [none]
[sad]
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I also have beliefs I've never discussed here. I'm open to everything and would love to have discussions about it all. One could describe me as "spiritual", I suppose. I tend toward Taoist things but very strangely I appreciate the culture of Islam. (I've recently been reading a lot about Chinese Muslims and some literature on how one can be a Muslim and a Taoist at the same time. It's been extremely helpful in convincing me that everything I believe is "ok". [smile])

So please do share!
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Lol, bunch of religious fools. You're just not using reason and logic.

[none]
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

I consider myself a Christian, though I'm not quite sure how much further I can define my beliefs as I don't exactly subscribe to any one church or sect at the moment.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Dr_Liszt wrote:Who cares what that Calvinist Gendo thinks anyway? [none]
Mrs Gendo.

Even then, not so much.
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

I'm an ordained priest in the Church of the Dude.

http://dudeism.com/

I'm from a deeply religious background, and I have no issue with the religious in general outside of areas wherein religious values trod on the values of others, and I love talking about religion whatever the case.

And I'm a big fan of the Mur, who always says sweet things about mah baby posts on FB. :)
Even I find my avatar disturbing.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

I just don't know where to start, because things have happened in my life that while I would like to believe there is just this life and then nothing I can't because I've experienced a couple of things I still have no explanations for.

I'm glad for all the support on this post and glad (so glad) to see that you guys are not as opposed to beliefs as I thought.

Thanks
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

We aren't Chx, I promise. [yes] I can't think of anyone here that would ever be an ass about religious discussions! I don't recall any religious discussions period on any of our non IMDB boards to be honest. The only place we were dickish was IMDB but we were surrounded by the likes of Erjens and Ada's who are really nasty people saying really nasty things.

Discuss away!
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I would probably take up Chx's mantle in terms of being very scoffy and snotty about religious and spiritual experiences, though I generally try not to be a dick about it...generally [none]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Blade Azaezel wrote:I generally try not to be a dick
Try harder.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Blade Azaezel wrote:I generally try not to be a dick
Try harder.
Fuck no. Douche.
ampi
Regular

Post by ampi »

I have a spiritual practice that is unconventional. I've been in it for 30 years now.

I would love to discuss anything with you Mur.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Islandmur wrote:Does anyone here hold any kind of beliefs ? spiritual wise that is?

Not me,

Raised super catholic but decided a long time ago that any formalised set of beliefs didn't work for me at all ... Spent a bit of my youth considering myself "spiritual" until I decided that I was really just adverse to considering myself an atheist by way of a Catholic hang over.. Now, I'm pretty sure I am a strong atheist in so much as I am not really on the fence with my disbelief, I'm pretty damn comfortable saying that there is no god.