GTA V

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Monk
Ultra Poster

GTA V

Post by Monk »

Finally got around to playing it. I enjoyed it, but I think (for me) the series is getting a little stale. The game is certainly more remarkable than previous installments, and the city is absolutely gorgeous with an unbelievable amount of detail. That being said, I was kind of "meh" over the story and the main characters. I found all of them pretty annoying, though Franklin the least. Trevor was just a little too ridiculous, even by GTA standards, and Michael was just flat-out annoying most of the time. There were some great missions, though, that reminded me back to the San Andreas days.
Whitey

Re: GTA V

Post by Whitey »

I think it's the best one yet though that's because the graphics and gameplay shit all over the first few entries into the franchise, and the story is much better than GTA IV.

I happen to like the 3 main characters though.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I had a hate-love relationship with Trevor. I flat out don't like Michael, and Franklin I'm mostly neutral. I agree that it's the best of the series, but I just didn't really get the same amount of enjoyment I used to get. Maybe upon a replay
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

When I say 'like', I mean I find them entertaining or interesting. Franklin is the only likeable one in terms of personality. The other two are varying degrees of asshole.

I find the multiplayer to be very satisfying to play.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I haven't tried multiplayer yet - maybe I'll give it a try. I've heard they recently added Heists, which sounds interesting.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Yeah, just added today. Better late than never, it's been a year and a half since the game was released. Looking forward to them, though you need 4 people to do them.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

The first heist only requires 2 people, but right now there's a fucking shit-ton of server issues, which is shitty.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I'm presently staring at a solid white screen because what the fuck, Rockstar?!
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Trevor was fun, especially the Rampages. Fuck you, hipsters!!

Best of the series, obviously. Very reminiscent of San Andreas, which I loved. [yes]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
ultron-2

Post by ultron-2 »

I like it, but if you've played any of the other ones, it gets stale quick enough. Theres only so much entertainment in running around blowing sh-t up and killing civilians.

I kind of miss the idea of gangs throughout the city liking or disliking you. It was interesting when if you wanted to go to the custom garage in the north side of town you'd have to be cautious because that area was controlled by the italians, whom you have been at war with.

The 2nd GTA did the gang thing the best i think, but those graphics and gameplay were obviously flawed and dated by now.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I do kind of miss the mayhem of the older games. If I recall correctly, you used to have to go crazy with shooting and explosions to get a wanted level. In GTA V, I would get a wanted star even if I was in the middle of the friggin desert and used a silencer to kill one person. It was ridiculous.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I think GTA IV made it the most fun to run from the cops. They introduced the line of sight and search area thing, and you could actually gun down cops to open up a window to escape, but you had to be careful not to be spotted before getting out of the search area. Switching vehicles while you were out of sight was a great tactic.

In GTA V, you shoot 5 cops, and 10 more instantly spawn. Your only hope of escaping a high scale chase is to just run to a tunnel or the ocean or a bush and sit there, which is no fun.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

In V the cops have their little range triangles that show up on the map. All you have to do is avoid the scope and you're golden. Theoretically you could literally be right behind a cop and they wouldn't see you if their triangle is facing the other way. That was fun.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yeah, but when you have 4 or 5 stars the fuckers are everywhere. You might get out of their cone but so many of them spawn all over the damn place, they'll see you sooner or later unless you sit in a tunnel or something, and that's not as fun as blasting a path through them, finding an empty vehicle and jacking it when no one's looking. When you've swapped cars without the cops seeing you, you can drive right by them and they won't know it's you, even while you're still wanted. This is true in both IV and V, but it served more of a purpose in IV.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I see what you're saying. Perhaps it was a deliberate attempt on the game makers' part to showcase that the LAPD is more zealous in their copness than the NYPD.