Somewhat depressing movie night

Gendo
Site Admin

Somewhat depressing movie night

Post by Gendo »

So I watched 3 movies back-to-back today... didn't know much about any of them going into it; and just happened to pick 3 that were so completely the opposite of feelgood movies.

Ghost World - I had no idea what this was about at all, but it had been highly recommended to me. So I guess I liked it. The main characters reminded me a lot of Daria and Jane (been watching a lot of Daria lately too). But it seemed a little too "Wes Anderson" for my taste.

Election - No idea why, but I thought that this was a light-hearted comedy. I guess just because of Matthew Broderick. Yeah, anything but. Starts out telling about how a high school teacher got involved with one of his students and goes from there. Pretty much no protagonist in the movie; so I wasn't sure whom I was supposed to root for, if anyone. Not a bad movie or anything, just not what I was expecting. Pretty funny.

Monster's Ball - I knew it was about racism, so I wasn't expecting anything happy-go-lucky. Great drama, suspense, and acting. Not so sure about the story though. Very slow, and not quite believable. The guy goes from racist to not racist almost instantly; no slow transition that was seen. Although, I'm amused that he basically stops being a racist when he quits being a cop, lol.