The Walking Dead - Telltale game

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Whitey

The Walking Dead - Telltale game

Post by Whitey »

Finished Season 2 of it, after leaving it for a while.

I love these games even if I feel for a couple of episodes in season 2 the writing was a little poor. That your choices don't matter.

It's interesting how they make you reflect on yourself and how you see things, how you justify your actions. In season 1 you play Lee, who finds a 9 year old girl alone near the start of the zombie apocalypse. You'll meet people, how you act can affect things later, who you side with in a fight or argument. Some people will play Lee as a dick, others as a kind caring soul. You might find that you agree with a character almost all the time, but they hate your guts if you disagree with them once. Some might be more reasonable. Your end goal is getting Clementine out of this alive. If any of you can play this without caring about Clementine you're a robot.

Season 1 Spoilers
I played Lee as a good man, trying to do what's right but sometimes was more realistic and harsh. I usually sided with Kenny but there were times he looked like he was going off the deep end. Some of my decisions - Saved Duck, Carley. Tried to save Larry even thought he was a giant douche and the group would be better without him.

I let the unknown girl get eaten rather than shooting her, she was already gonna die, we got time to do our thing by using her as a distraction. I'd have saved her given the chance. I left Lily to die, I killed Duck after he was bit.

I let Ben die as he was dragging the group down and he'd put us at risk too often, even running off and letting Clem fend for herself. I showed my bit when bitten. We chopped off my arm, and in the end, I made sure Clem killed Lee

Season 2 Spoilers
In this, you play as Clementine. You start off with Omid and Christa. Obviously stuff happens. My choices were as follows, the key ones anyway.

Tried to help Christa, killed the dog, saved Nick as Pete was bitten already. I took the blame for Sarah. I sat with Kenny at dinner, told Walter the truth, went to find Kenny rather than give myself up.

At Carvers camp I let Sarah do her own work as I was getting sick of how useless she is(I guess she's a test of your own ethics and morals, I tended to think in that world if they're not willing to help themselves or work hard, I can't mollycoddle them). I stood and watched as Kenny killed Carver, he deserved it and Clem has been hardened by this world anyway. I killed the walker biting Sarita rather than chopping off her arm as I didn't think it was the right place to deal with massive blood loss.

I saved Sarah at the trailer park as I'd hope she'd snap out of it and start to learn, though I nearly left her there and then. I robbed Arvo as I didn't believe his story and we needed those supplies for Becca. I crawled through the ticket booth, and killed Becca as soon as I thought she might eat her baby as a walker

I covered Luke like he asked me to do knowing there was no way the ice would take my extra weight if it could barely take is, fuck you Bonnie blaming me for that shit, saying I don't do enough because my character is a little girl, I do twice as much as you and you fucking worked for the enemy at one point! I didn't ask to leave with Mike as Bonnie was going with them, at this point I wasn't going anywhere without Jane. Also, fuck you Arvo.

I ended up shooting Kenny in the fight, before he could kill Jane. Kenny was my friend but he was gone mentally, he was trying to be a dictator but was getting more and more unhinged. I couldn't let him kill her, as Jane was sane, was doing the right things, was looking out for me and the baby, whereas I felt Kenny had a mental break. I forgave her for tricking Kenny as I knew it was coming to a head at some point.

Ended up at Howe's Hardware with her and we turned away the family. As far as I'm concerned for now it's me, Jane and AJ. That's it. Anyone else is a threat and nobody is fucking with any of them.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: The Walking Dead - Telltale game

Post by Raxivace »

Anyone been following season 3?

I'm enjoying it so far but I feel like its just a repeat of the "Oh no an evil group of survivors" plotlines of the Michonne sidegame and season 2 yet again.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Anyone been following season 3?

I'm enjoying it so far but I feel like its just a repeat of the "Oh no an evil group of survivors" plotlines of the Michonne sidegame and season 2 yet again.
I've downloaded Season 2 and the available episodes of Season 3. Need to get crackin'.

On a side note, isn't that what The Walking Dead has always been about? In a world full of ravenous zombies, humans will still remain the evil pieces of shit they always were. [blah] But I'm kidding - I agree that some innovation within that specific framework is required for sure; it's why the series sucks. (Sorry if we've had this conversation before.)
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I think we did discuss this back at IMDb but I don't mind talking about it again, particularly once you play seasons 2 and 3.

What kind of gets me is that Crawford in season 1 probably was the best spin on the idea in the games (And the way it plays into the big choice about Ben at the end of episode 4 is super good).
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Okay, so I've played until the third episode of season 2. I thought I was the only sick fuck to let Clementine watch Kenny mutilate Carver but then I realize that's what 50% of the players have done, including you. [laugh]

Other decisions: Also saved Nick since Pete was already bit, told Walter the truth, helped out Sarah with her chores (since I felt bad for her getting bitch slapped by her dad), and fuck blood loss, I cut off Sarita's arm because I figured she'd rather have a shot to live than surefire death.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I love how season 2 handles Kenny. Even though I kind of hated him at times in season 1 I was glad to finally see him again and couldn't remember why I ever was mad at him.

Then like 20 minutes later when he starts immediately losing it again I was like "Oh yeah, that's why".

Looking forward to what you think of Episodes 4 and 5.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Also one thing I never mentioned as a positive between all seasons is that I love a lot of the folkish/country music they use at the end of episodes. It kind of fits with the zombie post-apocalyptic setting really well.

These are probably my three favorites.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

^I love the combination of the folk music as well; it does indeed gel in quite well with the setting. I don't know if I have a favorite, but I do like the first one that you shared quite a lot.

Okay, so I'm done with season 2. That was quite a ride there in the end. The good kind. I'm still a bit surprised by the sheer gutsiness of the writers to engineer that brutal, terrifying, horrific Kenny vs Jane showdown. Poor, poor Clementine (me). I saw it coming, of course, but to see it play out in such fashion... Let's rewind a bit: I guess I was pretty stupid to chop off Sarita's arm. Like the OP said, I didn't even consider the blood loss, and Sarita was in such sheer pain/shock, there was no simply no saving her. But hey, that's the decision one makes in the heat of the moment, right? The other thing I felt bad about in Season 4 was Sarah's demise. I kept tagging her along, trying to help her as much as I could, but when that observation deck collapses and it's a choice between Jane and Sarah, I had to go for the "greater good". Sorry, Sarah. I wonder if anyone else took care of her for as long as I did. [sad] Also, Nick's death was treated as somewhat of an afterthought, but then, that's how it is in this world. At least, he lasted longer than Pete would have. Then again, I don't think Pete would have idiotically killed poor Matthew.

The season 4 climax was also thrilling, with my decision to delay the group's departure turning out to be a shitty one (loved the cold, brutal, wintery landscapes), although not sure what happened between that and the season 5 opening... didn't everyone already have the guns aimed at each other in a Mexican standoff? Shouldn't all of them have bitten bullets? Minor niggle, I suppose, since that whole scene with people screaming over each other while ignoring the real, pressing problem was a great dramatization of Walking Dead's central theme... Luke's death was tragic; I obviously tried to help him but it was to no avail. Bonnie and Mike double-crossing the rest of the group was also completely unexpected, along with Clementine actually getting shot. I half-expected it to be a dream since Clementine does wake up in a daze; turns out it was her sixth sense telling her something was wrong. Well rendered sequence, along with the dream that follows in which she sees Lee and expresses her fear of having to kill someone one day - laying the groundwork for the finale.

And then, of course, came that disturbing battle between Kenny and Jane. I shot Kenny. He was losing it. Although if it was Jane that was about to kill Kenny in that exact moment, I'd have shot Jane. But I'm glad it wasn't, and I had to shoot Kenny instead of her, since he was the prime reason the group fractured the way it did. In a way, he had died thrice already - once when his family died, second time was when Sarita died, and now, finally with AJ's apparent death. Considering that, it's hard to blame him for his volatile behaviour towards Jane... but she had to be saved. While her trick to lure ugly Kenny out of his shell was a combination of stupid and evil, I forgave her. Apparently, I'm only with 20% of the people who made this decision.

All in all, a solid season. I keep thinking the reason why the games work so well, apart from (the illusion of) free choice of course, is that the writing is good enough to quickly set up convincing, believable characters, make you/Clementine care about them, and then, in turn, make you feel their loss. It's like a serial killer movie, where the serial killers are actually the writers, daring you to care for the pregnant woman or loner chick as they whittle down the group one by one through any means possible - humans, zombies, disease, food, drowning, weather, etc. I don't know if this formula will feel old in the Michonne sidegame or season 3 but looking forward to finding out... I also hope they find a way to improve the decisions/outcome system, especially reducing those instances in which the outcome is is the same, irrespective of your choice. This is fine sometimes, but not always. I understand the writers are constrained; they have a story to tell and can only pass off so much to the player without sacrificing their story's broader direction, but I'm hoping they can put in that kind of work to offer an even richer experience. It's a tricky balance to maintain for sure.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah that bit at the end was super rough. I ended up saving Kenny. The thing with AJ was just too far for me, and made me question if Jane would ever do something like that again to Clem and him. Kenny, for all of his faults, would never purposefully endanger the children.

My playthrough ended up giving Kenny a fairly interesting redemptive arc. Back in season 1, he was the only one of the group that did not travel with Lee to find Clementine after she was kidnapped in episode 4. After saving him at the end of season 2, he successfully gets her and AJ to Wellington...only to find out that there's no room for the three of them. You then have two options- you can stay with Kenny and the three of you go out into the wilderness together. The other option, the one I chose, has Kenny talk Wellington into accepting only Clementine and AJ while he stays behind. He also says some stuff about he thinks he's too far gone to take care of them and how Wellington will give the two of them a better life.

It gives him and Clementine and AJ a believably bittersweet ending IMO.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

^Okay, wow. That seriously has me question my decision-making skills, especially considering your ending is surprisingly poignant. But... I just couldn't let Kenny kill Jane. She came back for Clem. And I don't believe she endangered AJ's life exactly - he was (relatively) safe. Of course, there's no right decision to make here and perhaps I am an asshole for not letting Kenny redeem himself (I never even thought redemption was on the cards in Walking Dead!) but Jane did have a point: if she indeed had accidentally gotten AJ killed, this is exactly what Kenny's reaction would have been.

But yeah, my ending is a bit devoid of affection and poignancy. I mean, Jane cares for Clem for sure, but there's an air of melancholy. The sight of Howe's, a wasteland strewn with corpses, isn't a pleasant one. And when a new, (seemingly) harmless family approaches and asks for food and shelter, Clem can just proceed to reject them under the guidance of the distrustful Jane. No, Clem doesn't reject them (because I'm still calling the fucking shots), but when the young boy compliments her hat (THAT'S LEE'S HAT) while she's cradling baby AJ, she shrugs it off with a world-weary "thanks". He's her age but she has already lived a life beyond anything he can imagine. And she's had enough of it. [sad]

Season 3, for me, will pick up where I left off, right?! It should be that way. I don't want them to reset my choices.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Your choices should carry over to season 3 fine if you're on the same system.

If you're jumping, say, from season 2 on the PS3 to season 3 on the PS4 there's a bit of a convoluted process you need to go through to carry your choices over.

Nothing from Michonne carries over btw.

As far as Jane goes even if she was right that Kenny would kill her that would still mean AJ was actually in danger since nobody would know where he was if Jane was killed. Even so...I dunno, I think most people would react the way Kenny did if goaded into it, particularly if they had ever been parents. IIRC Jane didn't tell Clementine where AJ even was either...at least in my playthrough. Not sure if that is different for others.

That kind of actually makes these games hard to talk about since those smaller, subtler differences really build up over time and can really change how one feels about characters.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Oh, I'm playing on the PC so I shouldn't have a problem with transferring the choices.

Regarding Jane: She does hint to Clementine to "stay out of it" as she knew things would "get messy" when Kenny is out of earshot... which could mean anything. I don't think she ever considered that Kenny would actually try to kill her. Scream, shout, hurt but kill? But, then again, she had drawn comparisons to Carver earlier, so who knows. Maybe this was what she had been itching to do from the start. Hard to know if it was naivety/stupidity or evil scheming, but in saving her, I hoped it was the former.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Finished the Michonne episodes too. The first episode was quite underwhelming (with the set-up machinations feeling a bit tedious), and while the pace picked up in the second and third, I can't help that there's a heavy been-there-done-that vibe to the whole thing. I liked how Michonne whiplashed between reality and her nightmarish memories (the design of the background, and the way her surroundings changed shape was well done) but the character felt a bit thin and frankly, I got tired of Michonne's daughters lurking in every corner. I don't know. Michonne definitely ranks below Season 1 and Season 2. Will give Season 3 a shot, but I hope it's on the level of Season 2.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I didn't really like the Michonne game too much. I don't know if its because I never saw the show or read the comic, but I never connected with her and the stuff with her kids never quite worked for me.

Dat song in episode 1 tho.

Season 3 Episode 3 released about a week or two ago too. I'm not really sure how to feel about it yet- I know one of the big things people have been complaining about in the season hasn't actually happened in my game at all so I'm not sure what's going on.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Finished episode 1 of season 3. Poor Mariana.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Heads up: Season 3 Episode 4 drops today.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Oh man, I want to catch up. Still need to start the second one... damn work deadlines.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Dude just call in sick. Say you have "the infection".

If your boss is cool, they'll understand.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Dude just call in sick. Say you have "the infection".

If your boss is cool, they'll understand.
[laugh]

That can be my trump card for when I really badly need a day off (...like when Red Dead Redemption 2 drops).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I finished Episode 4 today.

I can comfortably say that it was the fourth episode of season 3 of Telltale's The Walking Dead.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I finished Episode 4 today.

I can comfortably say that it was the fourth episode of season 3 of Telltale's The Walking Dead.
Ah that's cool! Sounds like it was certainly the second last outing of this series.

[laugh]
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Finished episodes 2 and 3. I loved that, in episode 2, 90%+ of the total players trusted Jesus, shot Conrad and capitulated to Max's demands in the end. We all seem to have one idea of how this story is going to play out (and of course, no one was going to accept Conrad's plan given how much we've grown to care for Clementine). The twist was a bit soap opera-ish, but set up cool stakes for episode three. I decided not to abandon David in the ending of episode 3, because he was going to confront Joan for his family's sake and Kate was just unreasonably rude in her "this is not our war" tirade. She may have been right, though, given that the Doctor and Farmer do not stick up for David.

BTW, Joan's policy of raiding and profiting off other, weaker, poorer communities for their own survival is, of course, a pretty accurate reflection of the real world, particularly how people prefer to be ignorant about the source of their prosperity because either they don't really care to know or they know they might not like the answer... reminded me a little bit of that movie called Snowpiercer. Of course, our protagonists are noble and heroic in their rejection of the status quo, even if they're naive to think there could be any other solution. Anyway, I'm glad that this group of baddies feels different from the brutal, intense insanity of Carver from season 2; gotta give these writers props for keeping this season interesting. (Also, I really hope that Clem can find AJ. If David lied about him being alive, I'm going to regret not listening to Kate.)
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I've had more negative reactions to season 3 overall, but your Snowpiercer comparison is really making me rethink my reading of The New Frontier overall.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Episode 4 was a bit of a letdown. After commending the writers for offering a different kind of villain this season, they made Joan go from politically astute to batshit-Carver-crazy and stage murders for her community. WTF happened? For the sake of a thrilling climax - and the satisfying opportunity to kill Joan, which I happily took because she was being a bore - the writers compromised on character development... sounds an awful lot like what happened on that TV show. Anyway, hoping that Episode 5 can match season 2's climax and re-capture the momentum from the first 3 episodes.

BTW, there was another flashback with Clementine-Jane-AJ in this episode (before Jane commits suicide, which was revealed in a flashback in episode 2). This one was about Clementine's role as doting mother to AJ, and it was a well done reminder of the kind of life this world has to offer (with a shout-out to a mutilated Carver). It's sometimes hard to believe how much life Clementine has experienced already - the episode reminds you that she experienced motherhood before her first period, and that's kind of tragic. Still no sign of AJ though, so let's see if she will further lose her faith in humanity and become jaded (and maybe become the villain in some future season?) or if she will find her child.

Do you experience flashbacks with Kenny? What happens to Wellington? I assume it is overrun by zombies, and the New Frontier group take AJ, like in my story. For all the choices we make in this game - and that touted replayability value - the game is rather confined to its broad narrative and feels familiar in all its iterations.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Okay, so about the flashbacks. Other people have reported getting flashbacks with Kenny, but no one who got the "Kenny leaves Clem and AJ at Wellington" ending specifically seems to be getting them AFAIK. People that have been getting say that apparently Kenny dies in a car crash in a flashback or something, I dunno. I certainly haven't gotten any flashbacks with Kenny or Jane at all. I'm not sure what this means- Kenny might make a triumphant return in Episode 5 for all I know. He may also just be eternally gone a la Christa.

And yeah in my S2 ending Wellington got overrun by zombies. There's like, half a scene dedicated to it and I feel it really cheapens the s2 ending I got overall.

The scene where Clem talks about her period was my favorite overall, and that would have been an easy one for the writers to really mess up.

I have some broader thoughts about s3 I'll try and write up later.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I think the thing that's been bothering me about season 3 (Other than the stuff about the direction the plot took that you mention) is that its been trying to tell two stories that are fundamentally at odds with each other- Javi's struggle with maintaining his family, and the player's attachment to Clementine.

There's an attempt at combining these two narratives, by having Clem be someone that Javi is also interested in protecting...however the game often makes Javi choose between wanting to help Clem and wanting to help his family. The problem is that the player has that attachment to Clem but there's no real reason for Javi to be as attached as we are- it creates this weird, almost pedophilic dissonance in the narrative that kind of reminds me of something like the Brad Bird/Damon Lindelof film Tomorrowland. We also don't get nearly as much attachment to Javi's own family (His brother is kind of an ass (At least in my playthrough), and with the cousin they actively try to have him annoy the player (In a way I find kind of realistic but not endearing)), and because there are significantly less moments where people are sitting down and just talking about shit we don't get quite as much of a probe into their personalities in the same way we did someone like any given S1 character or the better S2 characters.

I think this tension between choosing Clem or Javi's family just doesn't work. Maybe it would have worked better if Clem hadn't come in until significantly later into the season, but that still might cause her small self to overshadow the rest of the narrative. I almost think she shouldn't have been in the season at all, allowing everything else to be more developed instead.

Like to put things in perspective, was Mariana even mentioned in Episode 4? I'm not sure she was.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Hm, I largely agree with your thoughts on this, even if I think the dilemma of having to choose between your family or a young teenage girl is interesting in theory. It's just that, like you said, the odds are stacked against Javi's family in the beginning (despite those flashbacks, which I think work for the most part, but they come in bits and pieces so there isn't any time for layered character development akin to S1 or S2). However, that being said, I think Kate has gotten her fair share of screen-time now, as has David's annoying son, so I don't think I would still feel a choice to choose between Clem and Javi's family would be as easy as it was in Episode 1. Ah, who am I kidding? Clem all the way! But I think your larger point about less compelling characters still stands - I didn't really care for Ava or Tripp, even though we spent quite a bit of time with them. Not a good sign, because good character work was precisely what I praised in S2.

TBH, I don't know if I would have liked a season completely devoid of Clem. Her devastating flashbacks have been highlights of this season. She can't catch a break. The Clem-AJ thread is really the most interesting right now.

I don't know if your question was rhetorical but I think Mariana was mentioned in Kate and Javi's conversation in the van, when the two kids were chilling in the back - an echo of the old times.

Really though, I think the error of season 4's climax really casts a shade on all of the other flaws. Hoping that the final episode can somehow salvage something great out of the mess.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

May 30th is the date.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:May 30th is the date.
Little sooner than I expected. Here's hoping its good and that this video becomes canon.

maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Little sooner than I expected. Here's hoping its good and that this video becomes canon.

HAHAHA. WTF?!?!

THAT is an entirely different level of genius. I lost it when I saw the black guy having a seizure behind Kenny. And the less said about that creepy wide-eyed Clementine face, the better. [laugh]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

The black guy is Lee lol.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Lol I knew he looked familiar! He was twitching so vigorously I couldn't be 100% sure... [laugh]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Last episode should drop today. Let's see how this ends...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Season 3 has been a pretty bumpy ride but I think Episode 5 was pretty solid.

While the actual New Frontier plotline got kind of bad in Episode 4, this did allow Episode 5 to focus more on the feud between Javier and David, their general characters etc. and worked pretty well. I beat the shit out of David, decided to save Richmond, David died, I shot Gabe myself, decided to lead Richmond in the end, and Clem went off to find AJ. Kenny never showed up even once in my playthrough, interestingly enough, though my ending stats screen pointed out Clem interfering in Javier and David's fight was "like a fight she had seen before", or words to that effect.

The ending has some Marvel-ish line like "Clementine will return", and I really hope that in Season 4 they just wrap her story up. They could have done it here too I guess, but there have been some dangling plot threads from as far back as Season 2 Episode 1 that I wish would get picked up, like Christa's fate, or those guys that stole the car at the end of the season- supposedly they must matter, since in the initial release of the game Clem could kill them but that option was patched out.

EDIT: There's Molly too I guess, and she's from as far back as Season 1 Episode 4. Her character was one of the weaker parts of Season 1 to me though.
Last edited by Raxivace on Wed May 31, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Will play it tonight...
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

You're right. Episode 5 took the focus away from the problematic elements of Episode 4, and found some success in zeroing in on the dysfunctional family dynamics of the Garcia clan.

Well, that's what the ending stats told me. That my relationship with David was dysfunctional, especially after I didn't want to stand up on the ledge with him for a heart to heart chat (apparently, I am with only 7% of other players who chickened out, lol). [none] I regret not admitting to David that I didn't love Kate (went for the 'I had feelings for her... once' option), and no, I didn't beat the shit out of him, allowing for the sappy repeated "I love you"s to come from Javi's mouth (hey, at least, I kept my promise to the father) until Clem strategically shoots David to stop him. The rest of our choices are the same though - decided to save Richmond, David and Gabe die (in what surprisingly turned out to be a poignant scene, thanks to the inclusion of a sobbing Clementine. Poignant because we hardly see her exhibiting such emotions anymore - although I kinda did cringe at the earnestness of her "then I met you" line, a cliche I could have done without), and Clem learns the whereabouts of AJ from Dr Lingaard and begins her journey.

I like Clementine so I don't mind another season with her. And if they can continue to do her story justice, I honestly wouldn't mind another few seasons with her (that is plural).

Tripp's death felt like a perfunctory requirement, and he especially told us he would die before he died. He was basically asking for it. I didn't care too much for his departure despite how much the writers wanted us to like him towards the end, what with his whole, on-point "I don't know what I would have done to Conrad if I was in your shoes"/"I should not judge" monologue. Good stuff Tripp, but you're basically telling me you're going to die so thanks for the heads up.

I forgot who Molly is. But yeah, I liked Christa. I wonder if they will show up in Season 4 though. Might just add a dose of realism to never know what happened to them.

So when does Season 4 release? [blah]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Haha I also got "Dysfunctional". The game pushing you to try and make good with a dude who constantly being a real self-absorbed prick towards you was a nice dynamic. I got on the ledge with him too, thinking I might get the prompt to push him off.

I'll add an amendment that I wouldn't mind multiple more seasons of Clem if we don't have to wait 3-4 years between each one.

I honestly had forgotten about Tripp and largely agree with your criticism. It seems like after the big choice involving him in Ep 4 and they didn't have much of an idea of what to do with him.

Molly was the girl with Spider-Man powers you meet at the Crawford colony. Crawford gets overrun at the end, and zombies swarm after her. You can shoot your gun to save her, though what exactly happens if she lives remains uncertain. Part of me appreciates that its realistic to just never learn what happens to some people (Eva_Yojimbo :( ), but still it would be nice to know what happens with some more of them other than Kenny who at least seemed to initially actually be dead in Season 1's ending.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I got on the ledge with him too, thinking I might get the prompt to push him off.
I seriously laughed out loud at this.
Raxivace wrote:I'll add an amendment that I wouldn't mind multiple more seasons of Clem if we don't have to wait 3-4 years between each one.
Wait, so the next season will come after 3 years?
Raxivace wrote:Molly was the girl with Spider-Man powers you meet at the Crawford colony. Crawford gets overrun at the end, and zombies swarm after her. You can shoot your gun to save her, though what exactly happens if she lives remains uncertain.
I had to check a fan wiki page on her character but honestly, I don't remember much of season 1 at all apart from the main players.
Raxivace wrote:Part of me appreciates that its realistic to just never learn what happens to some people (Eva_Yojimbo :( ),
You're on a roll, mate. [laugh]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote: Wait, so the next season will come after 3 years?
I mean, Season 2 came out in 2013 and Season 3 didn't start until December 2016. Some of that delay may have been because of the Michonne game, but I just hope we don't have to wait such a long time again. They haven't said anything for sure.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I missed this news story earlier in the year, but apparently season 4 will be the final season of Telltale's The Walking Dead.

I'm really curious to see if this means they'll tie up some of these loose ends or not, particularly in regards to that weirdness with Kenny not showing up in my season 3 playthrough.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Well, that's good new. We felt a dip in quality in season 3 compared to the previous ones, so it is best to go out with a bang unless one wants a show that repeats storylines (not to say that's not already happened) and outstays its welcome (don't think this has happened yet).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I think there's still more storylines that could be done and done well with The Walking Dead beyond "evil group of survivors attack the protagonists". Like the actual New Frontier storyline of season 3 was pretty whatever, but the Cain and Abel story was way stronger.

If Season 4 has Clem rescuing AJ, that could be a good way to explore motherhood (A topic that like, is never really explored much in games in any depths) and also a nice bookend to the fatherhood themes of Season 1.

I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

It's only after making this last post do I realize the the Michonne game tried to explore motherhood.

I uh, don't know what to make of the fact that I completely forgot that it even existed.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Well I played Episode 1 of THE FINAL SEASON. I thought it was a bit slow but I liked it. Not a huge fan of the collectables.

I gotta say I'm still pretty sick of "lol this group of survivors has an insane leader too!!!!" as a premise in these games though the ending I got had AJ just fuckin' murder the dude in cold blood which was different, leaving me wondering how the rest of the season will go now.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I'm going to wait for all of them to release so I can binge.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I'm going to wait for all of them to release so I can binge.
Well I guess I'll see you on December 18th at the earliest then.

If they keep to it that's actually a pretty solid release schedule.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report ... s-canceled

And now Walking Dead: The Final Season is canceled. Wtf.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

OMG, that's terrible news! Okay the games weren't amazing but I'd still have thought they were selling enough to turn a profit for the makers. Damn.

So... what now? Close this thread too?