The Walking Dead - Telltale game

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: The Walking Dead - Telltale game

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:OMG, that's terrible news! Okay the games weren't amazing but I'd still have thought they were selling enough to turn a profit for the makers. Damn.

So... what now? Close this thread too?
Episode 2 is out so I'll at least play that at some point, post some thoughts, and then wonder what could have been...

Apparently Telltale is looking to farm out Episodes 3 and 4 to someone else to finish...which is good in the sense that it could allow the story to be completed.

OTOH everyone they just fired is (Rightfully) pissed and is currently in the process of suing them in a class-action lawsuit.

It sure is some drama.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Damn, well I hope they find work soon enough because I don't know if the lawsuit will help them much. Wouldn't the legal department have made sure the company's ass was covered before the dismissals?

But yes, glad to hear they're letting someone else do Episodes 3 and 4. I guess this means the writing is all done, and they just need someone to put it together according to the designs/plans?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-walking-dea ... -pcgamertw
maz89 wrote:Damn, well I hope they find work soon enough because I don't know if the lawsuit will help them much. Wouldn't the legal department have made sure the company's ass was covered before the dismissals?
I mean, they didn't even give these people severance pay. Presumably the legal department's advice would have been "pay people what they're legally owed" lol.

I'm pretty torn on this because while I'm glad S4 is being completed now, Telltale itself I think is in the wrong here with how this all went down.
But yes, glad to hear they're letting someone else do Episodes 3 and 4. I guess this means the writing is all done, and they just need someone to put it together according to the designs/plans?
Yeah that's what it more or less is sounding like.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

So I'm catching up on THE FINAL SEASON since all of the episodes are finished now.

As of Episode 3 Clem has a pet dog, I mercy killed Abel, Louis had his fucking tongue cut out what the fuck, AJ saved Violet from getting her finger cut off, poor James got stabbed in the back fuck you Lilly, and most important of all we played Jazz music.

Will do Episode 4 tomorrow...weird to think of this entire franchise finally coming to an end.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I have to say though I have some complaints about this season so far.

-Some Trophies are tied to specific choices you make, meaning you have to play entire sections multiple times...and that's presuming you know to fuddle around with saves ahead of time, since there's no chapter select of any kind nor anyway to speed through dialogue like you might in a visual novel like Steins;Gate or even a game like The Witcher 3.

-Even if you know that, some missable Trophies are tied to obnoxious QTE sections that are kind of hard and that you can't immediately retry since you have to reload a save and sit through up to five minutes of cutscene to even get a second shot at. The fucking fishing section in Episode 1 is awful, and that's presuming you even get on the fucking ROUTE to end up at the fishing section. The dumb Trophy in Episode 3 for learning the password from Abel is even worse since there's no logical way that I can tell to even know you can get that information from that character at that point in time and not even know you could have after the fact until the near of the episode.

-Did I mention there are missable collectables tied to Trophies? Because there are. Six in each episode.

-This is all to say that I really feel like with The Final Season I'm having to "gamify" my choices far more than I did with the first three seasons, which outside of the 400 Days DLC there were no missable Trophies and, in what is apparently counter-intuitive to the ashes of what was once Telltale, made my decisions feel like they have more weight if I'm only considering what my morals are when I make choices, and not for Trophies or anything.

-Also the game seems to ignore A New Frontier almost entirely except for a few throwaway lines and the general backstory of "Clem went to a farm to rescue AJ" that A New Frontier talked about Clem wanting to do a few times. The entire premise of this season is predicated on Clem and AJ not having a home to go to and its like...my buddy Javier is running an entire colony, why the hell would they just have NOT gone back there instead of roaming the countryside as scavengers because....?????????

That being said I have enjoyed The Final Season so far, it just doesn't seem to follow well from A New Frontier and the Trophy thing bugs me. The general thrust of one of the problems Lee left unresolved all the way back in season 1 coming back to haunt Clementine in a major way is really great though and I think the dynamic with the new characters and Clem and AJ is interesting. It also does the motherhood thing way better than the Michonne game did, though that might because I never read the comics or watched the show.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I've been sitting on the ending of THE FINAL SEASON for a few days and am a bit torn on it. While the fakeout with Clementine dying got me and I think it wouldn't really fit the story to have her pointlessly die anyways...AJ ending up with more or less the same ending no matter what doesn't really sit well with me.

In general I kind of feel like Season 2 was the better ending for both him and Clem, if only because your choices seem to actually reflect the decisions about how the kind of life you think is worth living. Season 1 gating everyone onto the same ending more or less actually works I think since it was so open (Especially before season 2 came out and there was genuine debate about whether the two figures approaching Clem were walkers or Omid and Christa). Even Season 3 I think works pretty well as an ending for the various Garcia family members, though it does not work as an ending for Clem at all (Nor was it intended to). Season 4 always ends with you secure at Wellington though it seems- that certainly should be an option but not the only one.

Speaking of Christa I am a little surprised she never ever shows up again after Season 2 Episode 1. Fucking Eddie from 400 Days of all characters shows up in the final episode of the franchise (I didn't even realize who it was at first myself), but Christa is just gone I guess. It kind of makes sense that you would just lose track of someone in a world gone to hell like that, I guess, but I always thought they would do something with her.

Maz I hope you play THE FINAL SEASON at some point so I can have your thoughts on it.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I will! I don't even remember when I stopped playing btw. Do you remember what I last discussed with you? Did I start the final season?

What's your non-spoilery verdict?

Yesterday I started playing RDR2 Online and it was kinda enjoyable... getting my ass handed to me every few seconds. Now I know why I prefer single player games. Lol.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

IIRC you said you were waiting for the full version of THE FINAL SEASON to come out before starting it but then the whole drama with Episodes 3 and 4 getting canceled and Telltale going under happened.

I liked season 4 overall and think its worth playing. There's a pretty important element of the ending I'm not sure is handled super well though.

EDIT: The last thing I should add is that it very much seems like the definitive end of Clementine's story.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Went through the thread to refresh my memory and caught this funny exchange. Deserves to be called out now that he's back:
maz89 wrote:I forgot who Molly is. But yeah, I liked Christa. I wonder if they will show up in Season 4 though. Might just add a dose of realism to never know what happened to them.
Raxivace wrote: Part of me appreciates that its realistic to just never learn what happens to some people (Eva_Yojimbo :( ), but still it would be nice to know what happens with some more of them...
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Finished the first episode, and I liked it. Thematically in line with the typical themes of the series - there is dark human cost to peaceful and stable governance. The ending was brutal with AJ's fucked up sense of right and wrong blowing up in Clem's face. The scene in the basement was well done - the light from the flashlight turning red with Brody's blood was harrowing..
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Glad to see that after a hundred years of waiting you're playing this. I'm looking forward to your takes on Eps 2-4.

And yeah that ending to Ep 1 is good.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I've been sitting on the ending of THE FINAL SEASON for a few days and am a bit torn on it. While the fakeout with Clementine dying got me and I think it wouldn't really fit the story to have her pointlessly die anyways...AJ ending up with more or less the same ending no matter what doesn't really sit well with me.

In general I kind of feel like Season 2 was the better ending for both him and Clem, if only because your choices seem to actually reflect the decisions about how the kind of life you think is worth living. Season 1 gating everyone onto the same ending more or less actually works I think since it was so open (Especially before season 2 came out and there was genuine debate about whether the two figures approaching Clem were walkers or Omid and Christa). Even Season 3 I think works pretty well as an ending for the various Garcia family members, though it does not work as an ending for Clem at all (Nor was it intended to). Season 4 always ends with you secure at Wellington though it seems- that certainly should be an option but not the only one.

Speaking of Christa I am a little surprised she never ever shows up again after Season 2 Episode 1. Fucking Eddie from 400 Days of all characters shows up in the final episode of the franchise (I didn't even realize who it was at first myself), but Christa is just gone I guess. It kind of makes sense that you would just lose track of someone in a world gone to hell like that, I guess, but I always thought they would do something with her.

Maz I hope you play THE FINAL SEASON at some point so I can have your thoughts on it.
So, I liked it. The ending got to me and hit me right in the feels, but I had made my peace with it until I realized it was a fake-out. My initial gut reaction was to celebrate her survival (at first I couldn't believe it and thought AJ was dreaming), but I'm wondering if it might have been more powerful to have actually let the same fate befall her as her adult savior, Lee. I don't know how AJ managed to keep the blood from spurting out of her leg, but the entire time she was dragging her bitten leg across the forest, all I could think of was why the two weren't more seriously contemplating cutting it off - because it has worked in the past, right? Or was that on the TV show? I can't remember. I'm glad AJ gave it a shot, and hell, Clem survived miraculously so I'm not going to nitpick.

Tbh, it didn't bother me so much that my actions didn't completely change the final moments of the story. I mean, my beloved Viola died because I didn't want AJ to ever feel too comfortable about killing and told him to not take any chances (jeez, there's no point in trying to do the right thing in this world, is there? Poor James got mauled because I didn't let AJ pull the trigger), and that was enough of a consequence for me. I guess I'm indifferent, unlike you and some other critics. But to take a step back from the final episode in particular, I guess there was still plenty of room to have this whole story pan out in many different directions to improve replayability (this isn't true of just S4 though, and a more common problem with the entire series). I really, really, really think you should play Detroit Become Human now. You might hate it (in particular, one of the three stories), but at its best, it's really impressive and compelling. No, seriously, I played this to talk to you about it. You need to play that for me now. [razz]

When we are led to believe that she has died, I loved the flashback to the intense scene in which Clem saves AJ from that burning, apocalyptic fort. When she kills AJ's caretaker and AJ sobs uncontrollably in the locker, the whole scene really hits home (moreso because you think that Clem is also dead). It really shows you just how fucked up this world has become that both women try to kill each other even though they both only want the protection of a child- amidst the fire and death and blood that surrounds them. It blurs the line between the dead woman and Clem, who has clearly done some not-so-wholesome things to protect AJ. The whole thing is a nightmare, but it ends with something pure and hopeful in Clem and AJ's interaction in the car.

I'm fine with the loose ends, tbh. I can't believe that the returning antagonist here (I forget her name... Susan?) slipped away at the end, shoulda killed her when I had the chance. I wouldn't have known that was Eddie until you pointed it out. I can barely remember 400 Days.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:So, I liked it. The ending got to me and hit me right in the feels, but I had made my peace with it until I realized it was a fake-out. My initial gut reaction was to celebrate her survival (at first I couldn't believe it and thought AJ was dreaming), but I'm wondering if it might have been more powerful to have actually let the same fate befall her as her adult savior, Lee. I don't know how AJ managed to keep the blood from spurting out of her leg, but the entire time she was dragging her bitten leg across the forest, all I could think of was why the two weren't more seriously contemplating cutting it off - because it has worked in the past, right? Or was that on the TV show? I can't remember. I'm glad AJ gave it a shot, and hell, Clem survived miraculously so I'm not going to nitpick.
Yeah I dunno if Clem should have died or not- I can see arguments both ways. I kind of like the middle ground of her living, but no longer being the ninja or whatever she's been since like season 2.

In a way it kind of undermines whatever decision you had Lee make back in season 1 at the end too, and perhaps works as a criticism of the Telltale model in general- that there is in fact other ways these problems could have been solved, that out understanding of situations might not be perfect etc.

Cutting limbs is something that has at the very been discussed in the Telltale games before at least- even back in season 1 you could have a Lee cut his arm off in an attempt to buy more time before his turn, though obv. it doesn't work. I think there's someone in season 2 you can cut off the hand off of but that fails too IIRC.
Tbh, it didn't bother me so much that my actions didn't completely change the final moments of the story. I mean, my beloved Viola died because I didn't want AJ to ever feel too comfortable about killing and told him to not take any chances (jeez, there's no point in trying to do the right thing in this world, is there? Poor James got mauled because I didn't let AJ pull the trigger),
Same thing happened to me.

It just seems odd to me that AJ would end up in the same place whether you raise him to be a pacifistic or not.
and that was enough of a consequence for me. I guess I'm indifferent, unlike you and some other critics. But to take a step back from the final episode in particular, I guess there was still plenty of room to have this whole story pan out in many different directions to improve replayability (this isn't true of just S4 though, and a more common problem with the entire series).
I think for me I only really want more variety in the endings.
I really, really, really think you should play Detroit Become Human now. You might hate it (in particular, one of the three stories), but at its best, it's really impressive and compelling. No, seriously, I played this to talk to you about it. You need to play that for me now. [razz]
Tbh if you want me to play any David Cage game you're gonna have to give me a pretty good reason, because you're literally the only person I've ever known to say literally anything positive at all about anything he's done in the last 10~ years. I realize that sounds hyperbolic but I'm not exaggerating- most people I know consider him one of if not the biggest hacks in gaming.

Like its hard for me to be particularly interested in a game that upfront you think I'll still probably hate at least 33% of.
When we are led to believe that she has died, I loved the flashback to the intense scene in which Clem saves AJ from that burning, apocalyptic fort. When she kills AJ's caretaker and AJ sobs uncontrollably in the locker, the whole scene really hits home (moreso because you think that Clem is also dead). It really shows you just how fucked up this world has become that both women try to kill each other even though they both only want the protection of a child- amidst the fire and death and blood that surrounds them. It blurs the line between the dead woman and Clem, who has clearly done some not-so-wholesome things to protect AJ. The whole thing is a nightmare, but it ends with something pure and hopeful in Clem and AJ's interaction in the car.
Yeah that whole segment was really good.
I'm fine with the loose ends, tbh. I can't believe that the returning antagonist here (I forget her name... Susan?) slipped away at the end, shoulda killed her when I had the chance. I wouldn't have known that was Eddie until you pointed it out. I can barely remember 400 Days.
How could you forget Lilly? [sad]

I gotta say I really liked her as the antagonist. I never realized it before but even in season 1 she was kind of a dark reflection of (Or perhaps, a possible future for) Clementine, what with the dead father angle and all.

Perhaps another way to look at it is that she's who AJ could become should he continue with the violence.