How often do you go to sporting events?

sikax
Ultimate Poster

How often do you go to sporting events?

Post by sikax »

I probably go to a dozen professional games a year between the local/Bay Area teams and sometimes I'll take the trip down to LA to see a Dodgers home game. And then there's the odd vacation to wherever, and I always make it a priority to see a game. A couple years ago I took a trip to New York City and caught a Yankees game and a Mets game. That was a blast. And family in Chicago always treat me to all kinds of things. In a given year I'll see at least one home game for every local team (Kings, Warriors, A's, Giants [only if Dodgers are in town], Raiders, Niners).

Then there's college sports. Not a lot of big-name college teams around here. Cal Bears football is probably the closest. I do go to high school games a lot. The state high school basketball championships are held here in the Kings' arena. Those are more fun than NBA games.

Other than Bruce, who is a Yankees fan, and I think Gendo...Redskins? I can't remember...I don't know anyone else's affiliations... Do you all go out to games?
Last edited by sikax on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
aels
Global Moderator

Re: How often do you go to sporting events?

Post by aels »

hahahahahahahahahahahaha no
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

They don't have real sports in England---er---Cornwall. Or wherever the fuck.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Hey, we have, like, hurling and Cornish wrestling. And our most important sport, which is making fun of tourists.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I Googled Cornish wrestling.... it's defined by wearing a jacket and you're only allowed to grab your opponent's jacket. [none]

"I'm gonna take your jacket off!"
"No, I'm gonna take YOUR jacket off!"
"Grrrr!"
"Erg!"
Last edited by sikax on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I grew up on the Redskins, but am now more of a Panthers and Patriots fan. For me, it's all about the home-team / supporting your city type thing, so when I moved, so did my sports loyalties.

Anyway, I rarely go to events these days. In the last few years, just went to one, a Hurricains/Bruins hockey game. In high school, we had season tickets to the Redskins; I went to almost every single home game for all 4 years.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Gendo wrote:In high school, we had season tickets to the Redskins; I went to almost every single home game for all 4 years.
That's awesome. The most Raiders games I've been to in one year was four. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm getting season tickets. [yes]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

sikax wrote:I Googled Cornish wrestling.... it's defined by wearing a jacket and you're only allowed to grab your opponent's jacket. [none]

"I'm gonna take your jacket off!"
"No, I'm gonna take YOUR jacket off!"
"Grrrr!"
"Erg!"
I said we had proud and noble traditions, I didn't say that our proud and noble traditions aren't fucking stupid.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Pretty much never. I'm much happier watching a game on TV or via a stream on my PC. No crowds, I can do what I want, it's quieter.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

What if it's hot out? Do they use t-shirts? Do the wrestlers provide their own jacket? Are they dry clean only? Are the jackets functional? Can they pass as formal wear?
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

sikax wrote:What if it's hot out? Do they use t-shirts? Do the wrestlers provide their own jacket? Are they dry clean only? Are the jackets functional? Can they pass as formal wear?
I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you. Also, I don't know. Please bear in mind that as a region, we have a festival where two people dress as horses and then chase young women about, and absolutely no one knows why we do this but we do it anyway. As Terry Pratchett says, if you stop upholding traditions just because they don't make any sense, then you're basically a foreigner.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

The horse thing sounds fun.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I've been to a few Predators home games in their first few years in the NHL, at first because a friend of mine, Mindy McCready, insisted I go. Then I started dating a girl who was a hockey fan and she insisted I go to a few more. I've been to one Titans home game (vs. the Cowboys) and maybe 10 or 12 Tennessee Vols football home games. Neyland Stadium holds more people than should be legally allowed to congregate in one place at one time. Of course, that limit is actually eight so that's most buildings, but Neyland Stadium is way over the limit. I used to go to my niece's softball games because of duty. I've also been to several NAIA women's national basketball tournaments because I lived in the town where the tournament was held at the time and some people I knew always got free tickets for the entire tournament. A women's basketball tournament = more lesbians than should be allowed to congregate in one place at one time and they're up to something.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've been to so many baseball games(let's go Orioles!), yet I hate baseball(let's go Cal Ripken! [none])...and I've only been to one nba game in my life. My life makes no sense.

I do enjoy drinking beer and looking/acting like a douchebag in my shades at baseball games though. I like the atmosphere...I don't pay much attention to the games.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

And I used to love football, but lost interest as I grew older(I only really start following what's going on during the playoffs). I frequently played quarterback when I played "backyard football" with the neighborhood boys growing up...'cause I had a decent arm and accuracy(I was also a sharp shooter when I played basketball...so something about that precision translated to quarterbacking). I wish I tried out in high school. I was late for try outs my freshman year, and I just never followed through.

I also can't get into college basketball(even though I love and know everything about basketball), and I think it's the same reason I lost interest in football...something about the cultural hype turns me off. All these assholes going crazy over it, and I feel they don't really know shit about the game. They can name players and stats, but they don't know how basketball is really played. I dunno. Yeah, I get that people get different things from sports entertainment. Some people just follow playoff brackets, some people just follow stats for their fantasy leagues, etc...which can be fun. But, it just seems like such a superficial approach to enjoyment of the game to me...and that it doesn't warrant the kind of insanity expressed over it.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've been to a Raiders Cardinals game in Phoenix when Rich Gannon shredded the poor fuckers with Jerry Rice and Tim Brown, and the Raiders went on to lose the Super Bowl to the Bucs. Years later I went to a Bills Cardinals game in Phoenix when the Bills were 4-0 and I think the Cards were 1-3 or some shit, and the Cards destroyed the Bills, and the Bills' season fell apart while the Cardinals went on to lose the Super Bowl to Pittsburgh (I think it was Pittsburgh).

I've seen two Yankee games in Arlington. First one we won, second one not so much. I went to a Chihuahuas game last year and plan on going to one this year. Oh, and I went to a Padres game when I was like three, and I barely remember it.

Also used to go to roller hockey and ice hockey games when El Paso had minor league teams, but I'm not a fan of hockey. I just went cuz I was a kid and my parents took me.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Man, El Paso's got to be the largest and most isolated city in the country without a professional team. Good that you can get to Phoenix or mainland Texas every so often. I don't know how I'd fare without being able to go see a game whenever I please.
Last edited by sikax on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Sporting events are a thing I'd like to go to but find my money better spent elsewhere. I only went to a Nats game because it was an office event, so my seat & food was paid for.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Grrr....to live in a town with multiple teams and not be interested! Grrrr!

Every pre-season prediction and ranking this year says the Nats are the best team in the league and will win the World Series. I think that's bullshit, but the hype around them right now would be enough to make me intrigued if I was a DC-er.