Somebody say something wrong

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Somebody say something wrong

Post by CashRules »

I mean besides DA and Liszt. The board needs controversy.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Re: Somebody say something wrong

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Perhaps we could discuss setting up a board for moderators only again? I personally really liked the idea.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Ed Milliband was a better choice for the Labour leadership than his brother.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Labour
Stop adding extra letters to words for no good reason. The worst I've seen so far is Marlborough, why do you add three silent letters to the end of a perfectly good word?
__
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

OurGloriousLeader wrote:Perhaps we could discuss setting up a board for moderators only again? I personally really liked the idea.
It's already there, but I've been demoted so I'm not supposed to know about it. But I have inside information.
__
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

There is in fact a subforum that only I can see. It has 2 threads; which I used to test out some stuff when I was first setting up the board.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Something wrong.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Blade Azaezel wrote:Ed Milliband was a better choice for the Labour leadership than his brother.
All the people who don't want to see Labour win the election firmly agree with that one actually.

Ed has managed to convince my wife - who has faithfully voted Labour and decried the Tories her entire voting life - that David Cameron would make a better Prime Minister and as such the Conservative candidate here will be getting her vote. This is something that neither she nor I ever thought we'd see.

To put it bluntly - he's a fucking liability.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

You should revise your definition of controversial!
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:
Blade Azaezel wrote:Ed Milliband was a better choice for the Labour leadership than his brother.
All the people who don't want to see Labour win the election firmly agree with that one actually.

Ed has managed to convince my wife - who has faithfully voted Labour and decried the Tories her entire voting life - that David Cameron would make a better Prime Minister and as such the Conservative candidate here will be getting her vote. This is something that neither she nor I ever thought we'd see.

I'm almost glad I'm in a safe seat, it means that I don't actually have to make a difficult decision over who to vote for, my vote is useless as it will never be for Labour and I live in a very safe labour seat. I simply won't vote or I'll vote for someone not UKIP/Labour.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Whitey wrote:I'm almost glad I'm in a safe seat, it means that I don't actually have to make a difficult decision over who to vote for, my vote is useless as it will never be for Labour and I live in a very safe labour seat. I simply won't vote or I'll vote for someone not UKIP/Labour.
Why will you never vote for Labour?
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:

I just don't understand that. If you've voted for a party all your life, surely it's because you agree with their policies and not whether or not their leader would make a better PM [odd]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Especially when one of them has already proven himself to be a terrible Prime Minister.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Blade Azaezel wrote:
OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:

I just don't understand that. If you've voted for a party all your life, surely it's because you agree with their policies and not whether or not their leader would make a better PM [odd]
I dunno, if I strongly believed in a party, but I felt the leader was a terrible statesman and would be weak and unable to lead effectively, I'd consider voting for someone else.
Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Whitey wrote:I'm almost glad I'm in a safe seat, it means that I don't actually have to make a difficult decision over who to vote for, my vote is useless as it will never be for Labour and I live in a very safe labour seat. I simply won't vote or I'll vote for someone not UKIP/Labour.
Why will you never vote for Labour?
Because I think they ruined the country, and I fundamentally have an issue with a party that allows trade unions so much relative power. It's heading the way that I don't know if I can vote for any of the major parties anymore but I just hate the Labour party.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Muslims are an oppressed minority.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I wouldn't give the opposition with an effective leader, 5 years to screw up even more, rather than the people I agree with, with a potentially weak leader, 5 years to try and improve things.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Blade Azaezel wrote:
OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:

The whole electoral system is completely fucked.

I can see your point and I can see the point 'er indoors is making too.

My problem with it is the First Past The Post system which effectively means that if I don't vote Labour or Conservative (neither of which are parties that I want to vote for) then I may as well tear up my vote because they're the only two parties that have any chance of winning here.

So - do you choose the lesser of two evils? Or do you stand by your principles and "waste your vote"?

And as for voting for Labour because you agree with their policies even though you don't like/trust/respect their leader... yeah... kind of. If you were expecting them to get a majority I could almost live with that, but knowing they will need to run a government in compromise with either the Lib Dems or the SNP then the personal traits of the leader suddenly do become more relevant than they would perhaps normally be, and I don't blame her for thinking that Ed just isn't up to the job.

(Incidentally - I shall be "wasting my vote" and voting for the party I would actually like to see win, even though I know they won't)
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.