Is it sad that I watch people play D&D?

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Is it sad that I watch people play D&D?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Seriously, I've found this show on geek & sundry called "Critical Role" where these voice actors get together and play D&D. Those of you that play video games might recognize some of their names or enjoy discovering what voices they've done in your games. I find it pretty fun to watch them and use it for inspiration for my own game (that's right, I'm a grown ass man running his own D&D game with friends he wouldn't have if he wasn't running a game...).

Here's a link in case anyone's interested:

http://geekandsundry.com/?s=critical+role" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Is it sad that I watch people play D&D?

Post by aels »

No, back when my sister used to bother to call me, she used to tell me everything that happened in her roleplay and LARP sessions. It was rad.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:No, back when my sister used to bother to call me, she used to tell me everything that happened in her roleplay and LARP sessions. It was rad.

Ah LARP...for those people that want to pretend to be athletes while hanging out with a bunch of weirdos in the woods (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)

I tried it a couple of times, but it wasn't fun since everyone had been playing for years and I was well behind in power and couldn't stand up to any of the combat encounters.

The show itself is pretty cool and a lot of what they do and say as their characters is pretty funny. And Mercer is great at doing the voices for his NPCs.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

I always wanted to get into d&d, none of my friends ever seemed to interested though. [sad]
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Boomer wrote:I always wanted to get into d&d, none of my friends ever seemed to interested though. [sad]
It can be very hard to find someone to run a game and I think there's still a stigma that tabletop rpgs are for social misfits, though that perception is a lot weaker than it once was. I

If they're into video games or anime, I would suggest watching the show I posted a link to. The voice actors that are playing have been cast in several video games and shows. And the women playing aren't hard to look at (yes, they do exist).

If you have a game shop in your area, you can probably find a group there and there's oftem "official games" being run at the store itself in which you can build a character, progress it, and jump into another official game with that progressed character after the other campaign is complete.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Boomer wrote:I always wanted to get into d&d, none of my friends ever seemed to interested though. [sad]
Snap.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

aels wrote:
Snap.

That means Ditto, for anyone who isn't cool [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:
Snap.
I don't understand why that warrants a "snap".
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
aels wrote:
Snap.
I don't understand why that warrants a "snap".
Snap, meaning 'same', not like the "Oh snap!" yank expression.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Blade Azaezel wrote:Snap, meaning 'same', not like the "Oh snap!" yank expression.
Ah, ok.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

I used to do pencil and paper RPG's all the time, running sessions almost every week for years. Heck, I was even involved with the hobby professionally as a playtester and designer--I wrote and published an adventure module for the James Bond RPG that financed my move out of my parent's house after I graduated from high school.

Alas, now that I and all my friends have hit middle age, no one has time for it any more. We just play Euro board games once a month or so. So now I'm in the same boat as you are.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I have no idea what this thread is about but it seems to be an attempt to make social misfits seem normal.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

CashRules wrote:I have no idea what this thread is about but it seems to be an attempt to make social misfits seem normal.
Damn, you caught me. I still think anyone into video games or animation (particularly animes), you should watch the show I linked to see how a bunch of nerdy voice actors unwind (thought, many of them don't look like the typical nerds).
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I used to play D&D (or to be pedantic AD&D) when I was at school and then when I went to uni I joined both the gaming societies and a massive variety of RPG's opened up to me. AD&D remained my favourite though, but I spent four years doing more RPG'ing than studying.

And then I finished and we all went our separate ways and it's hard to find a significant enough group of people to meet up and run one of these games. And as you get a bit older and have family commitments, and work commitments, it also becomes harder to find the time.

When you're a student you're money-poor but time-rich. And RPG's are great because they are cheap, fun and take up a lot of time. As you get older you still want to play them but it becomes a lot less practical...
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:I used to play D&D (or to be pedantic AD&D) when I was at school and then when I went to uni I joined both the gaming societies and a massive variety of RPG's opened up to me. AD&D remained my favourite though, but I spent four years doing more RPG'ing than studying.

And then I finished and we all went our separate ways and it's hard to find a significant enough group of people to meet up and run one of these games. And as you get a bit older and have family commitments, and work commitments, it also becomes harder to find the time.

When you're a student you're money-poor but time-rich. And RPG's are great because they are cheap, fun and take up a lot of time. As you get older you still want to play them but it becomes a lot less practical...
That's why I consider myself lucky to have both the friends and the time. The only thing I'm not liking is that I'm currently the DM, and it's a difficult position to be in, at least in the storytelling aspect. I'm definitely more the type that prefers to be a player character. On the plus side, DM'ing has helped me be a little more creative and imaginative. I never in a million years would've come up with the idea that Corona (from Tangled) was once Bald Mountain. I think there's a fun campaign in the idea of Chernabog being revived and the players meeting/facing of against various Disney icons. I think DM'ing has really helped my player skills as well. One of my players, who was usually the guy running a campaign, recently ran a one shot while some of my other players were unavailable. There was a noticeable difference in my playing, and I think that had a lot to do with the DM'ing. I finally had a character that wasn't just rolling dice, but a character that had a well-defined background and personality that was actually involved in the world. It's not something I was able to do even for a long-running campaign

Of course it helped that the DM gave me a little leeway and reflavor a death goddess so I could be a paladin of Wee Jas. [biggrin]. But even that took some creativity to match up ideals.