Cities: Skylines

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Cities: Skylines

Post by Anakin McFly »

Great city builder, though I don't have much basis for comparison; I think the last one I played was Sim City 3, and this one feels more satisfying than that. Apparently it was developed in response to the flop of Sim City 4.

This guide gives a sense of how intense it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ideModal=1

Though that was written by a traffic engineer who does that sort of thing for a living, so he probably made it seem more complex than necessary. But I had to start and stop a few times because my traffic kept running into issues.
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by aels »

Oh God, that looks way too complicated for me.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It isn't, I swear! That guy was just complicating things because he wanted the perfect traffic system. You could always just plunk stuff randomly all over the map, or stalk citizens, or do things like build a dam and back up the sewage system so the entire city gets flooded with literal shit, which someone actually did.

(off topically - I just looked up Mark Ruffalo and saw stuff he said on feminism. He's awesome. I did not know this.)
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

It's not too complicated. Put out your roads. Zone them for Residential/Commercial/Industry. Connect essential services and you're sorted.

I can never do the sort of organic looking layouts that guy has done though. I'm all about the repeating grid sort of layout.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Yeah, Mark Ruffalo is a delight. He's a 9/11 truther though :/
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN