Mocking people for their musical tastes

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Mocking people for their musical tastes

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

I'm sick to my balls of this attitude that it's not okay to mock people for listening to certain types of music. If you can't mock people for listening to shit they'll never learn.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Re: Mocking people for their musical tastes

Post by sikax »

If you walk into my bar and change the jukebox to Avenged Sevenfold or Lil Wayne (both these happened last night), you're liable to get your ass kicked. Or at least garner stares of contempt.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I only mock people for their film tastes.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

[none]
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

[none]
__
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Why is she licking her fingers and then acting like a bug flew into her eye?
__
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

That's how women do sexy. You didn't know that?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Chicks are weird.
__
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I can literally do this all day, I don't have work.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

^Wants me.
__
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I love Taylor Swift's music. [none]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

As shitty as Taylor Swift's music is, you've got to admire the way she's gone from being a target of ridicule for women everywhere to a feminist icon. And she did it by taking on Tina Fey and Amy Poehler of all people. Ballsy. I mean...ovarian?
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

'Ovarian' totally needs to become a term.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:As shitty as Taylor Swift's music is, you've got to admire the way she's gone from being a target of ridicule for women everywhere to a feminist icon. And she did it by taking on Tina Fey and Amy Poehler of all people. Ballsy. I mean...ovarian?
I'm actually not a die-hard fan of her music - I really like everything I've heard but I've probably heard fewer than ten songs. I mostly started supporting her because she got so much (usually gendered) shit for being young and female and singing songs that appeal to young female people and I don't hold with that shit. And the more people are like 'Ugh, Taylor Swift, ugh', the more I'm like 'HAIL QUEEN TAY'.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I don't really mind her now that she's stopped pretending to be a country singer. Although that might actually be a loss considering the generic pop-shit that passes for country nowadays. At least every song she sings doesn't sound just like the last one. But there is no denying the lady is talented.
__
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I don't like any of her new songs except for blank space. And I always thought she was pop. Because she always was.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:I'm sick to my balls of this attitude that it's not okay to mock people for listening to certain types of music. If you can't mock people for listening to shit they'll never learn.
My experience: People who mock people for listening to certain types of music usually don't know much about music. So the mockers are entitled to their opinion, but I don't have to take it seriously.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

phe_de wrote:
Ptolemy_Banana wrote:I'm sick to my balls of this attitude that it's not okay to mock people for listening to certain types of music. If you can't mock people for listening to shit they'll never learn.
My experience: People who mock people for listening to certain types of music usually don't know much about music. So the mockers are entitled to their opinion, but I don't have to take it seriously.
That's exactly the kind of thing someone who listens to shit music would say.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
phe_de wrote:
And this is the kind of thing someone who knows something about music would not say.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

That is why you should listen to both shit music and queen. Add a little van halen and roxette and there you go. You compensate.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

phe_de wrote:
Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
phe_de wrote:My experience: People who mock people for listening to certain types of music usually don't know much about music. So the mockers are entitled to their opinion, but I don't have to take it seriously.
And this is the kind of thing someone who knows something about music would not say.
This is not not the kind of thing that a person who knows not nothing about humour would say not.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Dr_Liszt wrote:That is why you should listen to both shit music and queen. Add a little van halen and roxette and there you go. You compensate.
I listen to plenty of music. But there is no music I would qualify as "shit music".
There is plenty of music I don't enjoy listening to; but this does not mean that the music is without merit.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Unless I am actually forced to listen to it, I honestly have no opinion on other peoples musical tastes or lack there of .. if I am forced to listen to something I don't like, I'll either recognise when I have input into the selection or if I don't, then just shut up and silently not enjoy it.

Mocking someone for their musical tastes seems to be a celebration of pointless arrogance or some desperate need to demonstrate your superiority .. and I've never met a person who thought someone else was superior to them because they don't like what they like.

It has about as much value as arguing cheesecake is superior to crème brulee
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I sometimes mock people's musical tastes in jest, which I think is what the participants in this thread are discussing (at least those defending the practice), although I'm sure there are some that do it due to some sort of superiority complex.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I don't care what kind of music someone listens to on their own time, but when there's an obvious discernible atmosphere to a place (like a bar) and a definite theme to the music being enjoyed, don't come in with your bro friends and change the jukebox to something only you and three other people will enjoy! It's rude! This is when I mock.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

sikax wrote:If you walk into my bar and change the jukebox to Avenged Sevenfold or Lil Wayne (both these happened last night), you're liable to get your ass kicked. Or at least garner stares of contempt.

Anyone else remember when the Avenged Sevenfold member posted on the Pit back before they had their big break? I think he was one of the guitarists. That guy was a complete douche.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Monk wrote:
sikax wrote:If you walk into my bar and change the jukebox to Avenged Sevenfold or Lil Wayne (both these happened last night), you're liable to get your ass kicked. Or at least garner stares of contempt.

Anyone else remember when the Avenged Sevenfold member posted on the Pit back before they had their big break? I think he was one of the guitarists. That guy was a complete douche.
That might have been before my time. But every picture of those guys just screams "douchebags" and "posers". It wasn't the one who died, was it?

EDIT: My mistake, it was the original drummer who died.
__
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

CashRules wrote:
Monk wrote:

That might have been before my time. But every picture of those guys just screams "douchebags" and "posers". It wasn't the one who died, was it?

It's possible he was lying - they were known at the time (though I never had heard of them), but they weren't really "big" yet. His IMDB name was something like "Avenged_Sevenfold." I remember he posted a picture of himself, and I'm pretty sure holding a guitar (though it could have been a bass) and he had tattoos all up his arms. But apparently they all do, so I can't figure out which one it was. I think it was Synyster Gates.

I do remember he had a hissy fit and left after people called him on something stupid he said.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Monk wrote:
CashRules wrote:
Monk wrote:Anyone else remember when the Avenged Sevenfold member posted on the Pit back before they had their big break? I think he was one of the guitarists. That guy was a complete douche.

It's possible he was lying - they were known at the time (though I never had heard of them), but they weren't really "big" yet. His IMDB name was something like "Avenged_Sevenfold." I remember he posted a picture of himself, and I'm pretty sure holding a guitar (though it could have been a bass) and he had tattoos all up his arms. But apparently they all do, so I can't figure out which one it was. I think it was Synyster Gates.

I do remember he had a hissy fit and left after people called him on something stupid he said.
I remember the name and I remember he was a dick but that's about it...
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I sometimes mock people's musical tastes in jest, which I think is what the participants in this thread are discussing (at least those defending the practice), although I'm sure there are some that do it due to some sort of superiority complex.
I'm always deadly serious.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Monk wrote: It's possible he was lying - they were known at the time (though I never had heard of them), but they weren't really "big" yet. His IMDB name was something like "Avenged_Sevenfold." I remember he posted a picture of himself, and I'm pretty sure holding a guitar (though it could have been a bass) and he had tattoos all up his arms. But apparently they all do, so I can't figure out which one it was. I think it was Synyster Gates.

There wasn't much more to him than that. I know he was conservative and I think pretty strongly pro-life, which he got into a lot of arguments over.
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

Meh. I get what you're saying, but the older I've gotten, as my tastes have changed, I've come more and more to realize that it's a matter of taste - you can point out all day long that bubblegum pop is tripe, or that Mumford and Sons pens lyrics on a third grade reading level, you can use charts, graphs, electro-shock, tasers... but, at the end of the day, if that music gives the person a good feeling, what else is there? That's the whole reason one listens to music.

That said, I'm all for letting them know it's still shit. [wink]
Even I find my avatar disturbing.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Monk wrote:
Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Monk wrote: It's possible he was lying - they were known at the time (though I never had heard of them), but they weren't really "big" yet. His IMDB name was something like "Avenged_Sevenfold." I remember he posted a picture of himself, and I'm pretty sure holding a guitar (though it could have been a bass) and he had tattoos all up his arms. But apparently they all do, so I can't figure out which one it was. I think it was Synyster Gates.

There wasn't much more to him than that. I know he was conservative and I think pretty strongly pro-life, which he got into a lot of arguments over.
A poser heavy metal conservative, that's just wrong.
__
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I remember the screename. Don't remember anything else. Must be incompetent shit music since I don't know who they are. [none]
vnufeld
Frequenter

Post by vnufeld »

I honestly can't think of a style of music I've heard and don't like anything in it. Heck, at work, the music they've been playing has included a lot of Taylor Swift's stuff and I had to admit that it was pretty catchy.

Oh, and to post this to see just how many minds are blown by it.

Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I find it as difficult to believe that Avenged_Sevenfold was one of the band members as I do that worov is Jeremy Northam [none]

People say all sorts of dumb shit online. Remember Tinkerbell? she posted a picture of herself that turned out to be Adriana Lima when she was younger. Tink was actually a fat, middle aged, black lady. Let's also not forget Simon [roll]