Evil Within - XBONE

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Evil Within - XBONE

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Started playing this about a week ago and - kinda really like it .
Story is kinda silly - essentially you are a police man and have been called in to investigate a series of inexplicable murders in a psychiatric hospital when a bizarre apparition appears and transports you into a world of spooky madness. You need to fumble your way thru a the dark inner psyche of some deranged supernaturally enhanced patient.. which gives the developers free reign over creating a pretty disturbing world with equally disturbing bosses - some which you can't really kill but just have to run away from.
Ammo is sparse, the bosses are smart and the environment is dark and confusing - so all in all its challenging but not impossibly so.
Kinda feels like a poor mans "Last of us" in so much as most of the killing is stealth and if you screw that up - its just minutes of pure terror running around trying not to be killed and getting the hell out of whatever situation you have been plonked in.
Graphics - are fine, still not feeling a huge uplift in this whole "Next Gen" thing - which may be in part due to this being released for Xbox 360, PS3 as well as the new gen of consoles and PC .. Ports always seem to suffer in their tech brilliance but that's very much the way of it so far I've found.

So - the first bits of the game stressed me out to the point where I had to leave my pitch black surround sound room for a bit of a breather, but past the first few challenges it all quickly turns into a pretty standard third person shooter.

Verdict - good, not brilliant but enormously playable and fun, few tech issues (texture pop in and the like) .. 7.5/10 so far
LSK
Frequenter

Re: Evil Within - XBONE

Post by LSK »

I've seen this advertised, and I'm interested in it. Have you played any of the Resident Evil games? Is it comparable to them at all? I think the game's director is the same fellow who created the Resident Evil series.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Hey Jordan,.

Nope, never plated resident evil (past for a couple of minutes at a stretch) .. From what I understand, they're reasonably similar but I can't really comment meaningfully.
This definitely isn't an "All guns blazing" type of game, its very much about conserving ammo and running away wherever possible. Enormous scope for tailoring your experience according to your personal sense of game play by using the upgrade system .. the general feel is creepy ala last of us (kinda - without the emotional depth or investment) ..

Worth getting given its been out for a while now and is pretty cheap.

Do you have an Xbox one?.. if you do - then did you get the remastered GOW?.. cos I did (not really worth it but was looking for a split screen game to play with my mates - surprisingly hard to find these days) .. and now am looking for people to play Versus online with
LSK
Frequenter

Post by LSK »

Hey there John. I don't have an Xbox; I'm a PS3 owner. I'm not particularly a Sony loyalist; I just tend to like their game libraries better. Haven't made the transition to the PS4 yet, but I plan on.

The game sounds right up my alley actually. The Last of Us was very much a flashbulb kind of gaming moment -- it made a distinct impression and is definitely a highlight. I really like games that successfully incorporate light RPG elements too. I don't tend to last very long with more full-fledged RPGs, with the one exception of the Fallout series. (Are you familiar with it?)
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

I pretty firmly camped in the Xbox world for much the same reasons - the kids were mad keen halo fans while I've always been a huge Gears boy.
Got a PS3 because it had a bluRay player built in and it really didn't cost much more to buy the console as a stared alone bluRay ..
The Last of Us is still possibly the best game I've ever played - or rather its a toss up between that and Bioshock.. both very different games but both did what they did amazingly well.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the similarities - much of what I really liked about the Last of Us was the story telling - which is much thinner in "The evil within" .. the similarities are in how you go about surviving the game which is more stealthy given the lack of automatic weapons. What impressed me at first was (once you get over the intro and a few cut scenes) was how creepy the whole game feels and the relatively good AI the enemies have - which all sort of becomes a bit more generic once you get into the game proper.

I have played fallout 3 - which was ok, but I found the pacing way too slow for my likes, and while it looked nice, I didn't really like the look and feel of the engine they used for the game play. People seem to like Fallout a great deal tho so I am prepared to accept its just not for me.