Impending UK visit

thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Impending UK visit

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Huzzah for me.

Just been told that I should be heading off to the UK for some meeting in early September - possibly from the week of the 7th till the 11th.
This is particularly good news for a few reasons:

1) - Miles, airline miles that is. My life is almost entirely dedicated to keeping up my frequent flyer status these days for a couple of reasons. The most important of which is that with loads of miles you can buy loads of stuff which I normally use for Xmas presents and such and such.
Etihad have an offer on at the moment which triples your miles for bookings made between 27th August thru till the end of October, and they share their program with Virgin who I am already Gold with .. so work trip = business class travel = extra miles *3 .. which would give me a fuck ton of points plus make me platinum = happy me.

2) It's Europe which means its close to Malta and my parents have been back in Malta staying at the villa for the next couple of months. So, its a relatively simple, cheap matter for me to get sometime off and go on a side trip to the old country with the added bonus of meeting my folks over there! .. Given our kick off was in the States earlier this year and we normally do this in Europe, I was gutted that I couldn't make my annual trip to Malta - this remedies that !

3) Etihad Business class is the absolute bomb - I mean, business class is the bomb but Etihad have just revamped all their classes and their business is about as good as it gets.. Check the link out!

http://www.etihad.com/en-au/experience- ... ss-studio/

So - executive summary. If anyone is in the area of Guilford (head office) in early September - Look me up and we'll get a pint.
Also - if anyone wants to visit Malta in late August - early September, give me a hoy and I'll show you round.
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Impending UK visit

Post by aels »

Ugh, how dare you visit a part of the UK that is not the part of the UK I specifically live in. You are very rude.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

aels wrote:Ugh, how dare you visit a part of the UK that is not the part of the UK I specifically live in. You are very rude.
Lol -- yeah, you know I was seriously considering taking some extra time off to do a bit of a look around the UK but, on reflection, decided that I would rather spend a European summer (By way of a change from this hideous fucking Melbourne winter thing) on home soil (rock) slowly transforming into a sun kissed water nymph while getting my parents to pay for everything.

A quick visit to Cornwall did cross my mind cos I really do love Cornwall, and naturally I really do love you - But, Sun, beaches and folks wallet beckon..

You could always book yourself on a cheap flight to Malta and stay with me at the Villa! .. It's pretty darn amazing, perched right atop of a huge cliff with views over the entire north end of the island!

This is it - pics all taken in April so, little bit up and down weather wise but - if this don't tempt you onto a plane, nothing will!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

brb flying to Malta
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

aels wrote:brb flying to Malta

That is the correct response .. Foods pretty good too and of course, you get to be chaperoned by moi.

See ya there - bring summer clothes cos, seriously warm there right now, especially for an English type like youse
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:an English type like youse
how fuckin dare u, sir [none]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78725.html
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

aels wrote:
thesalmonofdoubt wrote:an English type like youse
how fuckin dare u, sir [none]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78725.html

My Bad - Naturally I meant Cornish types like you and any of our board English oppressors that care to join in as well !

I actually didn't know there was a an actual Cornish language tho, do you speak it?. Is it like Welsh?
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

No, I don't speak it, although I keep meaning to learn. I know a few phrases but that's about it. There are (last I heard) about 3,000 speakers and about 300 of them are effectively bilingual. The language was almost completely wiped out (*cough* deliberate suppression by the English *cough*) so what is spoken now is a kind of reconstruction, as far as I know. There's a growing revival movement, which is nice. And yeah, it's very similar to Welsh, they share the same roots and my sister's ex-boyfriend, a Welsh speaker, could understand a reasonable amount of the Cornish that he saw. It also means that I can't make fun of Welsh for being weird and inscrutable because the Official Language of My Forefathers is also fucking weird and inscrutable.

Here is the Lord's Prayer in Cornish:

PADER AGAN ARLOEDH
(THE LORD'S PRAYER)

Agan Tas ni, eus yn nev, bennigys re bo Dha Hanow,
(Our Father that art in heaven, hallowed be thy name)

re dheffo Dha wlaskor, Dha vodh re bo gwrys y'n nor kepar hag y'n nev.
(Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven)

Ro dhyn ni hedhyw agan bara pub dydh oll;
(Give us this day our daily bread)

ha gav dhyn agan kammweyth, kepar dell aven nyni dhe'n re na eus ow kammwul
er agan pynn ni;
(and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;)

ha na wra agan gorra yn temptashyon, mes deliv ni diworth drog.
(lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.)

Rag Dhiso jy yw an wlaskor,
For Thine is the kingdom,)

ha'n galloes, ha'n gordhyans, bys vykken ha bynari. Amen.
(the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen)
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

So, what you are saying is that people actually speak middle earth round your parts right?

I mean, we have our own weird language, but ours just sounds like you are angry all the time and got a fur ball lodged in the back of your throat..

Is that pronounced like its written .. cos it looks just awesome

On another note - looks like its just you and me round these parts at the moment! .. So, how you doin?
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

What I love most about this video is that I can really, really hear her accent.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Got people round me at the moment so, I'm pretend working .. Will play this in a more private, less "you should be working" Moment
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Aha, the first minute of this is what the Lord's Prayer sounds like.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

He IS speaking middle earth ..

I really like the sound of that language - you should learn it
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I think on a list of my favourite fiction languages, Cornish comes in just behind Dothraki.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Never trust people who think w is a vowel.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Crazy dead language, just like French.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Leun a sylli yw ow skath bargesi.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

^ suddenly become dyslexic.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

You mean 'became', you tense-meddling ninnyhammer [none]
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

[has] suddenly become dyslexic. Right all along. Epic Cornish fail [none]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

You can't omit a word in a manner that makes your syntax ambiguous and then complain when it's misinterpreted SO THERE.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I can. It's English, mother hubbard! Pretty much designed to be awkward [none]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

And yet you mock the intensely ridiculous tongue of my people [none]
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Only for as long as you pretend it's a real language [none]
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

So - by way of an update.

All is confirmed - flights are all booked .. I will be landing in the UK on the 28th August, then shooting off directly to Malta till the 7th September, then back to the UK till the 12th .. Be awesome to get out of this winter for a bit.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

You do realise our summer is currently colder than your winter, right?
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Blade Azaezel wrote:You do realise our summer is currently colder than your winter, right?
Lol - yeah, I've seen loads of pics on FB from some friends rugging up against the summer .. there were a few "can't believe I have the heater on, IN JULY" type posts, figured it was cool.. here, we have been getting an average low of around 3 to 6 and a high of maybe 10 to 14... windy as a windy thing tho and the wind here comes from Antarctica - with Tasmania only just taking the edge off it... I'm a complete winter pussy, much rather it be too hot than too cold and all sunlight deprived ..

Either way - I'm in Malta for a week and a half - where I've just been told is supposed to hit 40 next week .. I'll have a pool and the entire Mediterranean sea to get me over the mid winter blues.. And its still a couple of weeks away, so hopefully a chance for things to improve in the UK
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

HA! I have a feeling the UK weather can only get worse from here. I think by the time August draws to a close we'll be setting up for an early Autumn, leading into a ridiculously long winter. Our seasons don't really divide into nice 3 month segments anymore. It's all basically fucked except for 2 weeks in the middle of the year [biggrin]

Still, I love the cold far more than the heat. I spend about 6 weeks grumbling about how damn hot I am, how I can't sleep and I wish winter would get here already.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Seems you are correct - weather in Malta was glorious to too fucking hot .. around mid 30's all week and humid .. did manage to tan up and swim every day ..

Here - fucking cold as shite - cloudy .. didn't bring very many "warm weather" clothes so finding myself depressingly unprepared. I believe its colder her than back home..
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:Seems you are correct - weather in Malta was glorious to too fucking hot .. around mid 30's all week and humid .. did manage to tan up and swim every day ..

Here - fucking cold as shite - cloudy .. didn't bring very many "warm weather" clothes so finding myself depressingly unprepared. I believe its colder her than back home..

30's is hot? I thought you were from Australia, not Alaska! [none]
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

30's is hot? I thought you were from Australia, not Alaska
Not sure whether you are making a Fahrenheit reference or just outright calling me a pussy. If its the former, then given no civilised country in the real world uses Fahrenheit .. I never accommodate for the savages that default to this interpretation and just assume people have already abandoned this system at least, intellectually, even if their society demands it in practice.

IF its a reference to me being a pussy - in my defence, 30's is warm, even for Australia, but I wouldn't find it distressingly hot - except that it was humid as fuck in Malta (something I am not used to) and relentless .. no cool wind at night, no cool change to break up the week - every sigle day was 35 and every single night was 27..

I'm in maidenhead at the moment and have been freezing my tits off at night .. I'm not sure where I was happiest, at least in Malta I got to swim and tan
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Welcome to the UK...where happiness goes to die [none]
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Blade Azaezel wrote:Welcome to the UK...where happiness goes to die [none]
:) - Back now. I actually had a really good time in the UK (A much better one in Malta naturally) ..
The weather held up ok which I was happy about given the dire warnings. I mean, it wasn't a summery paradise and the nights were freezing, but it didn't rain and was pleasant during the day.
We stayed in Maidenhead which was actually - pretty fucking gorgeous. Clearly relatively wealthy with some gorgeous country vistas. Ate at one of the nicest (Prettiest) pub/restaurant's I've been to in an age (can't remember the name of the joint but it was a big place right on the Thames) .. even the food was good!
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

ah shiiettt didn't see this, should've organised something!!
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

OurGloriousLeader wrote:ah shiiettt didn't see this, should've organised something!!

Damn shame, are you close to Maidenhead? .. From the sounds of how my company is now conducting itself, It seems like I will be heading over to the UK more often from now on - we used to organise everything from the States (Detroit) .. where I used to report into, but now I report into EMEA - our base in EMEA is either Amsterdam or Maidenhead depending on what it is I am going over for.

So - if you're close by, I'll let you know the next time I am over!
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

No I'm nowhere near xD But we should organise something anyway.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

All good - next time I'm heading over that way I'll create another post.
In all my years on these boards I have met exactly one person from them - and I can't even remember his Name, was a chap from IMDB hundreds of years ago who lived in Adelaide - IRL his name was John but I can't remember what his screen name was!
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

OGL is a wildling that lives beyond the wall. Michael lives in Winterfell and Azzy lives in Harrenhaal. [none]

I don't think I live in Dorne, but that's like where my people supposedly live, so I guess I'm from Dorne.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I live in King's Landing. Or maybe Lannisport.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

I have no idea where I would fit in with this analogy - Dolthraki?