Resting heart rate

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Resting heart rate

Post by Cassius Clay »

I recently started playing a lot of one-on-one with a friend of mine. We used to play years ago, but haven't played in a while. I used to win most of the games back in the day, but now the tables seemed to have turned. And not because he's gotten so much better, but because he is in incredible shape(and partially because I developed a bit of a back issue over the years). I can't keep up with him. We might play up to 5 or 6 games, and I might win the first couple games, then lose the rest terribly because I can't keep up with his relentless energy.

So, I decided that I need to get in really good shape so I'll at least give myself a good chance of winning more games, and I started doing intense cardio workouts. I was in alright shape before I started the workouts(my resting heart rate was 66), and after about a month or so, my resting rate dropped to 56. And I was like, "fuck yes, now I'll get this bastard!". We met up to play some games and I still couldn't keep up with his energy(though I played much better). Then I finally asked him what his resting heart rate was, and he didn't even know what I was talking about. He checked it and it turns out it's 42. Forty-fucking-two...that's like Olympic athlete level. Wtf?

So, for the past month I increased the intensity of my cardio workouts just to keep up with this guy, but there hasn't been much of a change in my fitness and heart rate. How hard do I have to go to keep up, goddamit?
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Resting heart rate

Post by aels »

Is he dead. Is he actually like a vampire and his actual resting heart rate is zero and he's laughing at your puny mortal shell. Have you seen him in daylight.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I have seen him in daylight. But, he looks a little like Wesley Snipes, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a daywalker.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I never realized that the name sounds like it belongs to an old and comically evil British man.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Wesley is also one of those guy's names that's not quite a guy's name.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Yeah, it's not the most masculine of names. I think it's the 'ey' sound on the end, too similar to names like Sophie, Julie, Hayley... I ran out of other examples [uhoh]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Charlie, Tommy, Bobby...
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Wesley was the man in black, the manliest man to ever man.

And I've never heard of a resting heart rate, but mine's probably awful. I get tired walking around Walmart.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

My resting heart rate is about 56-60. I am very out of shape. Been wanting to get back to the gym, but I just can't bring myself to go alone.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Okay I just checked. My resting heart rate is 88. That sounds good. I think I'll smoke another cigarette now and chow down on a plate full of bacon.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Mine was like 80 and then I realised that I was taking it while my dad is getting ready to go out and hearing him stomp around the house like Godzilla is just about the most stressful thing ever and nothing is more likely to make my heart rate go through the roof. Will try again when he has shut up and fucked off because I love him but oh my God.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I tested mine now and it was 72, but it wasn't resting, so it might be a few BPM lower. I'll try and test it another time when I am actually 'resting'

It's not something I pay much attention to though, my focus is more on strength than cardio anyway.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Mine usually varies from 56-66, though I've gotten to as low as 52 and as high as 70.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

After more than a month my rate has dropped to 54.

Dear God...
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Just clocked my rate at 52. I'll be a vampire soon enough!
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I just checked mine and it's around 63-64, which is actually higher than normal for me. Last time I checked I was around 58/59. Could be the coffee I just drank an hour ago, or I'm not in quite the shape I was a year or two ago. I'm similar to whitey though - I mostly do strength training (though I'm not exactly that muscular). However, strength training also helps with resting heart rate, and doing only cardio will result in muscle loss. I believe the best way to lower your resting heart rate is a combination of interval training and strength training.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I just checked mine, it was 55bpm.

I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in so it makes sense. Cardio still is a weak point for me but it's getting better, though strength is my main focus. Quite a few workouts recently have had some running in them, and my general ability to push myself through a whole workout is improving. I'm managing lately to beat my coach in quite a few things(though his arm strength blows mine out the water).
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

After a month, my rate is still 52. Fuck!

I was derailed for a while and didn't do any cardio for almost 2 weeks. But, based on how my cardio work outs are going, I think I'm in better shape than I was a month ago(burning more calories in less time).
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Just checked it again and it's 50. I knew something wasn't right.

I'm almost there bitches!
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cassius Clay wrote:Just checked it again and it's 50. I knew something wasn't right.

I'm almost there bitches!
Clearly don't have enough stress in your life.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

These nuts are clearly resting on your chin.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

So, my heart rate was 46 this morning. I think I'm dying.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

From WebMD: "Recent studies suggest a heart rate higher than 76 beats per minute when you're resting may be linked to a higher risk of heart attack."

damn.

My blood pressure and cholesterol levels are excellent, though. My doc said people would kill to have my amazing cholesterol levels.