Windows 10

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Windows 10

Post by Monk »

Anyone upgrade to Windows 10? I just did the other night, and have played around with it. So far, it's pretty damn nice compared to Windows 8/8.1. I really like how the "metro/modern" apps are no longer prohibitively full-screen only, and the interface between the more modern apps and the traditional desktop is a lot more fluid. It's basically what Windows 8 should have been 3 years ago. I think it potentially is the best OS Microsoft has released.

I haven't experienced too many bugs, thankfully. However, I have noticed my computer has been a lot slower on startup. I think this might be because my SSD cache needs to adapt to the new OS, but I'm not sure. I don't think it's a driver issue...
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Re: Windows 10

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Monk wrote:Anyone upgrade to Windows 10? I just did the other night, and have played around with it. So far, it's pretty damn nice compared to Windows 8/8.1.
I haven't bothered as yet, I decided to wait until they iron out any kinks that arise.
Monk wrote:I really like how the "metro/modern" apps are no longer prohibitively full-screen only, and the interface between the more modern apps and the traditional desktop is a lot more fluid. It's basically what Windows 8 should have been 3 years ago. I think it potentially is the best OS Microsoft has released.
I'd love to know are there people in Microsoft pissed off because they still think those full screen apps were a good idea.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'm still on Windows 7, which is awesome. Should I upgrade?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

My download has completed but I didn't want to install it just yet. I've heard nothing but good stuff so far though; so I might go with it. My biggest concern is losing any stuff related to installed programs, especially with browsers. My 8.1 crashed recently and when I refreshed from the restore partition, even though it saved all my personal documents, I lost all browser-saved stuff, even though I thought it was saved in the user folder which was intact. Stuff like save files for online games and such.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

My dad updated and he lost all of the apps and sites he uses. Amazon, bill paying, etc. all gone. He managed to get them back after reverting to 8.1
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

I upgraded a couple of days ago - was initially hesitant simply because I use this computer for work and so was worried about stability as well as compatibility with our intranet - but thought - bugger it, will give it a go.

So far, I'm more than pleased - takes a while to reorient myself with the new format and was fucking around and ended up back in a metro style presentation layer which took me a while to work out how to revert .. but I did work it out and am progressively becoming more conversant with 10 ..

Love the start button - love the metro tiles on the start button.. search panel on the bottom pane is much better than the previous side swipe ..the task view is a huge improvement on the previous way of finding running tasks - Ive had no stability or comparability issues so far - its a winner

{quote]My dad updated and he lost all of the apps and sites he uses. Amazon, bill paying, etc. all gone. He managed to get them back after reverting to 8.1{quote]
I have several downloaded apps and didn't lose any of them .. I did lose my bookmarks initially - but then discovered that you can import them from the tool bar
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

He tried importing.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I didn't lose anything when I upgraded, as far as I can tell. It set Edge browser as default, but all of my favorites and saved passwords remained in Chrome/Firefox.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

So I guess the problem is he thought saving his websites to the start page meant they would be ported over to the desktop/start page/ w/e page that is the default on Windows 10.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I have no idea what anybody in this thread is saying, but I'll probably eventually get this Windows 10 thing. Windows 8 sucks donkey dick.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I upgraded this week.
So far everything runs smoothly. And I like that all Windows devices are connected (Computers, Xbox, OneDrive...).
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

phe_de wrote:I upgraded this week.
So far everything runs smoothly. And I like that all Windows devices are connected (Computers, Xbox, OneDrive...).
The connectivity side of 10 is amazing - didn't have to do anything to get all my drives available on my Xbone, which, while I could do this thru windows 8.1, it was never very reliable. I used to have all sorts of issues streaming from my computer to my TV .. and still have a few issues with this (no idea why, sometimes the device appears and sometimes it doesn't) but overall, windows 10 seems to be working much better with my TV than 8.1 did.

Haven't tried this yet, but am interested in connecting to the XBONE from my laptop to stream playing games - assuming this means that two of us can use the Xbox at the same time from different devices - probably a bit of a gimmick that I won't use much but will give it a go .