Trump

BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Trump

Post by BruceSmith78 »

CNN ran a headline saying Trump pwned at the GOP debates the other day and I thought, "Jesus, how inept can the Republican Party be?" I don't watch the news and I didn't watch these ass clowns argue with each other, but maybe someone here did? Was this washed up reality TV star really the star of the show?
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Trump

Post by aels »

I have been reading some of the coverage on Jezebel and Gawker and the overriding consensus has been 'Ahahahaha, this fuckin' ninny'. So I don't think he pwned shit, unless someone who watched the debate says otherwise.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
vnufeld
Frequenter

Post by vnufeld »

aels wrote:I have been reading some of the coverage on Jezebel and Gawker and the overriding consensus has been 'Ahahahaha, this fuckin' ninny'. So I don't think he pwned shit, unless someone who watched the debate says otherwise.
To be fair, he doesn't have to be actually be good to beat out most of the other Republicans running...
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

They obviously didn't use the word pwned, and the headline might have been slightly ambiguous, like Trump wows at GOP debates (I don't think it was "wows" either, I think it was something like shines), which could be interpreted as Trump was so spectacularly absurd everyone was amazed, but I took it to mean he dominated, which would surprise me, even for our outrageously hysterical right-wingers.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I watched a small part of it because who doesn't like a good clown show? Okay, I hate clowns but something about this bunch just intrigues me. Trump says all the things he needs to say to impress a following comprised of bigots, morons and asshats. In my opinion, based on what I watched, he won the debate simply because he will say whatever the fuck is on his mind while the others at least try to show some restraint. Jeb Bush just looked uncomfortable when he should have the experience to do better, Carson is obviously a token and the rest just looked like they already know it's going to be a battle between Trump and Bush with Trump currently holding the lead. Other than Trump, Bush and Carson I don't think any of the rest of them really believe they have a chance at winning, they are just using this election as a platform to gain name recognition on a national scale so they can make a more serious attempt in four or eight years. So Trump won the debate and is still the frontrunner because he's the leader of a legion of asshats. It's downright frightening to think the general election could come down to Trump and Hillary. But this is what the two-party system has gotten us, not a single deserving candidate in the bunch. But those two are the worst of two bad groups of people. Jesus Christ, the people in this country love voting for the garbage of society.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Trump is like Hillary in that he seems to be in the lead despite me having never seen a single person say that they would support him/her. It's really weird.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I did watch the entire thing, because I slow down to watch car crashes like everyone else, and Trump pwned in the sense that he got the biggest reaction out of the crowd every time he spoke, both positive and negative. He was applauded quite a lot, but he was also booed a lot, and many comments which were critical of him from the moderators were applauded too. But according to online polls most people thought he "won", whatever the fuck that's even supposed to mean, so I don't know.

Basically the "highlights" were he refused to pledge support to the Republican nominee if he lost, unlike all the others; he criticized "political correctness" when he had to defend sexist remarks; he defended his shitty business record basically by saying other people have been terrible too; he defended his past liberal beliefs (pro-choice, anti-Iraq War) by saying Reagan evolved too; and he bragged that he gave a lot of money to Democratic politicians so they would do favors for him later. Also he bitched out Rand Paul a couple times. So a bunch of people liked all that.

I'm assuming a big reason why so many people like Trump, besides the obvious racism and xenophobia, is that he presents himself as outside the political establishment, even though he obviously isn't, sort of like Bernie Sanders. The rationale seems to go that no matter how awful he would be, at least he would different. He at least spoke like he was a human who legitimately believed in things, while everyone else up there spoke in empty platitudes and robotic bromides. He was by far the most "real", for what that's worth.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

This is it basically:
Corruption and transparency:
When you don't like corruption, pork spending, government BS, you tend to have two choices, vote for the one who takes the bribes, assigns the spending and writes the laws; or you can chose the guy who is paying the bribes, has to deal with government inneficiency (while being forced to pay for it), and does not have incentive to keep the status quo.
Logically you would vote for the second one.
Does that mean all would change? No, but as opposed to the first choice, this one actually has a chance to fix crap.
What does this mean? That trump supporters when it comes to economics and government finances are more logical than say Hillary or Jeb Bush voters.
Besides the xenophobia and racism.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

All I know is I'm really tempted to vote for Trump in Virginia's primary.