Unplugging

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Unplugging

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've recently been preparing for an exam, but was a bit distracted. So, I decided to experiment with "unplugging" myself from media stimulation/consumption: no tv, internet, video games, movies, nada...(I even cut out sugar and alcohol just to go full monk with it [none]). I wanted to see if that would help me focus. I did this for about a week...I broke a few times to check on the news or just watch a quick video, but overall I drastically minimized my consumption of all these things. Part of the reason I did this was realizing that some of the most eerily focused and clear-headed times in my life were in situations where I had very limited or no access to some of these things. A time I visited my estranged father in Nigeria, and a time when my scholarship program forced me to spend my summer with the other scholars in my program, with no phone, internet, tv, etc(which turned out to be a life-changing experience).

Instead of filling my break times with the internet, I decided to get some books from the library('cause even though reading is also an "escape", it's a healthy kind of escape that encourages focus and empathy). And when not reading, just sitting/being with myself, or making more efforts to connect with family and friends.

This was incredibly difficult and boring at first(I find it peculiar how agonizing just sitting with yourself can be...like my mind is addicted to constant stimulation and going through withdrawal), but I did notice a few subtle changes happening after just a few days. One of the first things I noticed was that the lack of stimulation made me more outgoing in public than usual...'cause I suspect it made me crave more human connection. Little things like making jokes with the cashier at my local grocery store, rather than the usual "how're you doing? thanks. have a good day." I also felt a bit more self-aware(in a good way)...more present and focused....and had some incredibly serene moments I haven't had in a long time. I've also felt a little more creative.

So, I'm going to incorporate "unplugging" from all these into my weekly activities/schedule. Maybe once a week, maybe every weekend...maybe 3 days a week. I used to shake my head at parents who never let their children watch tv...or let them watch 2 hours a week or some shit like that....as if it was child abuse. Maybe it's a bit extreme, but I think I get where they're coming from now.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Unplugging

Post by Cassius Clay »

The other thing I noticed was my that my patience seemed to improve. Issues with my girlfriend that would normally result in a stupid, prolonged argument or a fight where dealt with more effectively.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yeah, fuck that shit.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Don't be a pussy.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

BruceSmith78 wrote:Yeah, fuck that shit.
^
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cassius Clay wrote:Don't be a pussy.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Good. [smile]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Back when I was finishing up my degree, I made the decision to cut out cable tv as it was a distraction. This meant DVDs only as I got no rabbit ear reception where I lived.

It worked. I was able to come home and pay attention to my schoolwork and get things done.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Just saw this: