For those that think animation=children's entertainment

CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: For those that think animation=children's entertainment

Post by CashRules »

What that boils down to is adults who still like cartoons think they need excuses for being adults who still like cartoons. They just need to admit they're adults who still like cartoons. I'd rather watch an old Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck/Road Runner/Elmer Fudd/Foghorn Leghorn cartoon I've seen a hundred times than 95% of what passes for entertainment today. Nothing beats Foghorn Leghorn convincing a chicken hawk that a dog is a chicken or Bugs and Daffy taking turns rapidly pulling off hunting signs one after the other "Duck season, Rabbit season, Duck season, Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Rabbit Season until BAM! ELMER SEASON!". "Shhh, be vewy quiet. We're hunting Elmers." I know every word to almost every one of those cartoons ever made and I'll still watch four or five hours of it at a time until a stuttering pig says Th-th-th-th-That's All Folks." because I can and I don't need to pretend it was ever made for adults.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

CashRules wrote:What that boils down to is adults who still like cartoons think they need excuses for being adults who still like cartoons. They just need to admit they're adults who still like cartoons. I'd rather watch an old Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck/Road Runner/Elmer Fudd/Foghorn Leghorn cartoon I've seen a hundred times than 95% of what passes for entertainment today. Nothing beats Foghorn Leghorn convincing a chicken hawk that a dog is a chicken or Bugs and Daffy taking turns rapidly pulling off hunting signs one after the other "Duck season, Rabbit season, Duck season, Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Rabbit Season until BAM! ELMER SEASON!". "Shhh, be vewy quiet. We're hunting Elmers." I know every word to almost every one of those cartoons ever made and I'll still watch four or five hours of it at a time until a stuttering pig says Th-th-th-th-That's All Folks." because I can and I don't need to pretend it was ever made for adults.
I like Looney Tunes as well, and The Looney Tunes Show was actually pretty good at keeping the spirit of the old while putting the characters in a new situation (unlike the godawful live action Looney Tunes movies). That said, .
I'm not sure the shorts were simply made for kids considering how violent many of them were for that time.

That said my argument has never been cartoons were made for adults. My argument has been that well-made Western animated TV shows & movies are for both kids and adults, much like Doctor Who is for both. It stems from people who think being an adult that enjoys media accessible to kids makes them childish. I think those that make such judgments are missing out on great tv shows and movies just because there's this stigma regarding the medium.

I do, however, recommend you watch Grave of the Fireflies and the upcoming Anomalisa and challenge you to tell me those are kids' movies.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Most of the cartoons on that era were made for adults. I think Looney Tunes were made for adult audiences and remember some of them had a lot of anti-nazi propaganda which were aired in theaters, again, for adult audiences.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Dr_Liszt wrote:Most of the cartoons on that era were made for adults. I think Looney Tunes were made for adult audiences and remember some of them had a lot of anti-nazi propaganda which were aired in theaters, again, for adult audiences.
I actually don't think Looney Tunes had that much anti-nazi propaganda, unless they just didn't air them often. They did have a lot of "join up" or "support the cause" cartoons. I remember Daffy trying to dodge the draft and many cartoons asking "is this trip necessary?" referencing trying to conserve oil & gas to fuel military vehicles. I'm sure there were a few that encouraging donating rubber tires & such for military use.

Now Disney on the other hand had a lot of anti-Axis propaganda (Donald having a nightmare anout being a Nazi is the one I remember).
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Now Disney on the other hand had a lot of anti-Axis propaganda (Donald having a nightmare a out being a Nazi us the one I remember).
Yeah and it was hilarious!
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Dr_Liszt wrote:
Now Disney on the other hand had a lot of anti-Axis propaganda (Donald having a nightmare a out being a Nazi us the one I remember).
Yeah and it was hilarious!
I think it was shown in one of my history classes.
vnufeld
Frequenter

Post by vnufeld »

Some of my favorite shows and movies are animated. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm childish for that. I also eat Fruit Loops for breakfast.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I think most normal people would regard Disney and Pixar releases as just for kids. I mean shit, I went and saw Tarzan by myself when Disney released it.

But this opinion is based solely on speculation.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I'm currently working my way through a load of the anime series on Netflix at the moment. Animation =/= Children's entertainment
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:I think most normal people would regard Disney and Pixar releases as just for kids. I mean shit, I went and saw Tarzan by myself when Disney released it.

But this opinion is based solely on speculation.
True, but even those have appeal for adults. Don't get me wrong, Disney does have more of a kiddie bent than Pixar, but both know how to still appeal to adults without loading it with immature innuendo (I'm lookng at you Dreamworks)

I'd say of the major studios that appeal to both kids and adults in terms of maturity and the ones Westerners are most familiar with are...

Studio Ghibli
Pixar
Disney
Dreamworks (Exceptions: How to Train Your Dragon & Kung Fu Panda franchises. Rise of the Guardians was pretty good too.)

Blue Sky & Illumination are relatively new as are Sony's & Fox's respective anmation departments so I don't feel right labeling them quite yet.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

Uh...I forgot a rather important couple of letters in my comment. Should say "I think most normal people wouldn't regard Disney and Pixar releases as just for kids".

that kind of changes the entire intent of my post. [biggrin]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:Uh...I forgot a rather important couple of letters in my comment. Should say "I think most normal people wouldn't regard Disney and Pixar releases as just for kids".

that kind of changes the entire intent of my post. [biggrin]
I used to be one that regarded animation as kids' stuff. What made me realize it isn't simply for kids (though Western animation tends to make them the target audience) are the MCU movies, which I enjoy When you get down to it, they're pretty much well made kids' movies. The only difference is that 13 next to the PG.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I think when Pixar came into play it change perceptions of a film industry that may have previously been targeted at kids. Pixar made it a point to toss in some subtle adult themes that would be over kids heads but adults would appreciate.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:I think when Pixar came into play it change perceptions of a film industry that may have previously been targeted at kids. Pixar made it a point to toss in some subtle adult themes that would be over kids heads but adults would appreciate.
*cough*Don Bluth*cough*

1980s DB to be specific.

I also blame Pixar for the death of American 2D animation. [none]