Musicals

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Musicals

Post by Cassius Clay »

So, the disney songs thread reminded me of my childhood. So, I'm making a thread for live-action musicals. There are really only two classic musicals I watched often as a kid, that hold nostalgic value for me: 'Sound of Music' and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. But, I've never even seen Mary Poppins. My grandmother would make us watch 'The Sound of Music' every time she visited.

Edelweiss:

The reserved sadness he sings this song with was always unsettling for me. Especially when he sings it at the end where he gets choked up on stage because they have to flee their home.

Last edited by Cassius Clay on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Musicals

Post by Cassius Clay »

Hushabye Mountain

And does Dick Van Dyke remind anyone else of George Clooney? Particularly goofy George Clooney when he tries to do comedy...like that football movie.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Doll on a music box/Truly Scrumptous

Probably my favorite one from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Especially when they sing together. And I just realize that actress looks like/reminds me of Rosamund Pike.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Roses of success.

Even as a little kid, I knew their blind optimism was hilarious.

aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I've never seen The Sound of Music. My mum loves it, she and my grandpa used to fall asleep in front of it on Christmas Day. I grew up with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang*, Mary Poppins, and, of course, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which I will continue to push as an underrated Disney classic. It's better than Mary Poppins, I don't give a shit what anyone says. Mary Poppins was way too bloody pleased with herself.

*Which I ended up seeing in London on a school trip when I was 14 and it had Richard O'Brien as the Child Catcher and I was really appalled that no one else in my group remembered the Crystal Maze.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Oh and Grease. I've seen Grease. And Grease 2, which I liked, even if everyone hated it, because motorbikes are better than cars and also the main character was called Stephanie. Chicago is one I only saw last year and really liked.

Speaking of Richard O'Brien, I feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't 'get' Rocky Horror. I just don't. I watched it and it was fine and I have no particular interest in seeing it again and I have no idea why everyone is so obsessed with it. Is it because Tim Curry wears stockings. Is that it.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Wait wait wait, I forgot Labyrinth, Labyrinth is an amazing musical. I know I'm a hypocrite for not caring about Tim Curry in stockings when I care about David Bowie in leggings but the difference is that Labyrinth is terrific.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I have confidence

I wish I could find the actual clip. It's not the same without it...all the energy(running, jumping) she expresses as she sings is so vital to it.

EDIT: Found one

http://vimeo.com/76689371

I like Audra McDonald's version.

And I don't know who this is, but she does a pretty damn good job with it.

Last edited by Cassius Clay on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Climb every mountain

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

My favorite things

Then when she quits, and the kids miss her so start singing one of her songs, then they hear her starting to sing along from a distance. *sniffle*

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

16 going on 17

lol look at this Nazi fuck.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The Lonely Goatherd

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Not a song, but cute scene..and the reason she quits.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Annie - Hard knock life

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I will follow him

Oh Maria

Oh Happy Day

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

[sad2]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

aels wrote:Wait wait wait, I forgot Labyrinth, Labyrinth is an amazing musical. I know I'm a hypocrite for not caring about Tim Curry in stockings when I care about David Bowie in leggings but the difference is that Labyrinth is terrific.
Labyrinth is a musical? [mjeyds] Did not know that. And I'm ashamed to admit that Grease is a pretty awesome musical. This is what happens when a little boy is raised in a house of girls...especially when you're the youngest. I know far much more about musicals than I should. [none]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

oh yes my friend

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Oh my god.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Since we already had Big Bird once:

[none]
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Aels wins the thread.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I've always loved the Pajama Game, but the movie version isn't nearly as good, sadly. Also, Les Misérables is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I can't believe I forgot Les Misérables, given my love of Javert.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=288
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

My favorite live action musicals are Singin' in the Rain and White Christmas. I think part of it is that the characters are also performers, so their spontaneous singing is built in.

My favorite songs in Singin' in the Rain:

Not a song, but probably one of the best scenes from Singing in the Rain

This scene from White Christmas cracks me up every time:

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
aels wrote:Wait wait wait, I forgot Labyrinth, Labyrinth is an amazing musical. I know I'm a hypocrite for not caring about Tim Curry in stockings when I care about David Bowie in leggings but the difference is that Labyrinth is terrific.
Labyrinth is a musical? [mjeyds] Did not know that. And I'm ashamed to admit that Grease is a pretty awesome musical. This is what happens when a little boy is raised in a house of girls...especially when you're the youngest. I know far much more about musicals than I should. [none]
If it puts your mind at ease, action movies are just musicals for dudes:

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:My favorite live action musicals are Singin' in the Rain and White Christmas. I think part of it is that the characters are also performers, so their spontaneous singing is built in.

My favorite songs in Singin' in the Rain:
I just saw SIngin' in the Rain recently for the first time (the movie version; I'd seen the play). That first video you posted was a really impressive number.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

West side story is my one and only favorite
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

West side story
Annie
Bedknobs and broomsticks
the wizard of oz
newsies
singing in the rain
labyrinth
the wiz
grease
sister act
mama mia
my fair lady
dr. dolittle
chittichitibangbang
sound of music
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Islandmur wrote:West side story
Annie
Bedknobs and broomsticks
the wizard of oz
newsies
singing in the rain
labyrinth
the wiz
grease
sister act
mama mia
my fair lady
dr. dolittle
chittichitibangbang
sound of music
Sound of music and chitty chitty bang bang are last on your list? How dare you? [none]

I would probably like Mamma Mia 'cause my parent's listened to a lot of ABBA.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:West side story is my one and only favorite
I will never watch that because I'm a manly man.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:If it puts your mind at ease, action movies are just musicals for dudes:

[laugh]

Even so, there are some musicals that are more "girly" than others. "Grease" is one of the girliest ones, and I should be deeply ashamed for liking it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:If it puts your mind at ease, action movies are just musicals for dudes:

[laugh]

Even so, there are some musicals that are more "girly" than others. "Grease" is one of the girliest ones, and I should be deeply ashamed for liking it.
I enjoyed My Fair Lady. At least you can sublimate yours by emulating John Travolta.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The exceptionally stoic Captain Von Trapp surprises his children(and himself) when he joins them in singing for the first time:

http://www.rnh.com/videos.html?video=12 ... =170&vpg=6
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lol

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Sweeney Todd

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

I liked Pitch Perfect. There, I said it.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Pitch Perfect was fucking terrible. Like really, really bad. I couldn't understand how it got so much love.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I can't stand musicals. Being socially awkward I've always found it very uncomfortable to see people suddenly burst into song for no good reason. I didn't used to be like that. When I was a little kid and didn't know better I watched CCBB and Mary Poppins, along with all those Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers movies. Ah to be young again, or just not made uncomfortable by odd bouts of singing.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:Pitch Perfect was fucking terrible. Like really, really bad. I couldn't understand how it got so much love.
My built-in sexism that comes with being a privileged male helped me enjoy a few of the women characters. [edit]Also because it was a fun stupid movie with good songs .[/edit]
Blade Azaezel wrote:I can't stand musicals. Being socially awkward I've always found it very uncomfortable to see people suddenly burst into song for no good reason. I didn't used to be like that. When I was a little kid and didn't know better I watched CCBB and Mary Poppins, along with all those Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers movies. Ah to be young again, or just not made uncomfortable by odd bouts of singing.

Start singing karaoke. You'll still be socially awkward, but not with that.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

My memory is fuzzy, because it's always fuzzy when it comes to movies these days, but I remember thinking it was sexist that the guy ended up getting back with the girl for really no goddam reason at all in the end. It was like they just had to tack on the cliché ending, so they did. Like hey guys, don't worry if you fuck up in your relationship, your girlfriend will take you back. She has to. You don't even need to be contrite or put in any effort to make amends or talk shit out or anything, just wait for her to come to her senses and then sing her a dumb fucking song? Isn't that how it ended?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's sexist as hell to cast an overweight woman, name her character Fat Amy, and give her a slew of tired, overdone fat jokes to spew out everywhere. The worst part though, was that it wasn't funny. Like at all. I maybe chuckled once during those eternal 90 minutes or however long this dog shit took from my life. Bridesmaids was a thousand times better.

But hey, apparently a bunch of people loved it, so what do I know? [giveup]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:My memory is fuzzy, because it's always fuzzy when it comes to movies these days, but I remember thinking it was sexist that the guy ended up getting back with the girl for really no goddam reason at all in the end. It was like they just had to tack on the cliché ending, so they did. Like hey guys, don't worry if you fuck up in your relationship, your girlfriend will take you back. She has to. You don't even need to be contrite or put in any effort to make amends or talk shit out or anything, just wait for her to come to her senses and then sing her a dumb fucking song? Isn't that how it ended?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's sexist as hell to cast an overweight woman, name her character Fat Amy, and give her a slew of tired, overdone fat jokes to spew out everywhere. The worst part though, was that it wasn't funny. Like at all. I maybe chuckled once during those eternal 90 minutes or however long this dog shit took from my life. Bridesmaids was a thousand times better.

But hey, apparently a bunch of people loved it, so what do I know? [giveup]
You and I saw two different movies. Beca was the one that messed up and had to make amends and had to sing the dumb song.

Rebel Wilson only had maybe three fat jokes, 2 of which were her own lines about cardio (and I relate even though I'm a fairly skinny mofo) and the other was to highlight how much of a jerk Bumper was (when throwing the burrito at her). She also said the idea of kissing Bumper would be like the idea of doing crystal meth, that she called herself "Fat Amy" so skinny girls (using much stronger language than that) don't do it behind her back, tells the quiet girl not to shout when she finally speaks normally, etc. The women don't always refer to her as "fat" either.

I think you may be experiencing a form of sexism in a similar vain as someone seeing racism when another orders chicken & waffles.

And i'm not saying this movie was as good as Bridesmaids. Just a change from such movies.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Meh, I don't remember it well enough, and maybe my dislike for it has skewed what I do remember, but did Fat Amy have any "jokes" that didn't involve her being fat and a disgusting slob?

And did Beca mess up? I thought she dumped the guy and then at the end of the movie she saw him singing or something and all of a sudden she was like, "oh, I like him again, cuz the movie's over and I'm supposed to end up with the dude."
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:Meh, I don't remember it well enough, and maybe my dislike for it has skewed what I do remember, but did Fat Amy have any "jokes" that didn't involve her being fat and a disgusting slob?

And did Beca mess up? I thought she dumped the guy and then at the end of the movie she saw him singing or something and all of a sudden she was like, "oh, I like him again, cuz the movie's over and I'm supposed to end up with the dude."
Yes,Amy did, though listed most of them.

Beca kept pushing Jesse away, even as a friend. Jesse was done with that aspect of their relationship and told her as much. She was the one that ended up singing "Don't You Forget About Me" (significant because they bonded over the ending of "The Breakfast Club") in order to make amends.