Can't remember if this one was posted yet...

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Can't remember if this one was posted yet...

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

All the videos of judges treating women badly, hard to keep track which ones our resident feminists have posted.

Clearly feminism is no longer needed since women treat other women just as horribly as men do. #equaltreatment.

Here's a news article outlining why the victim was deemed in contempt.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tough-words-ju ... d=34324384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Can't remember if this one was posted yet...

Post by Gendo »

Wait where the hell was her lawyer?? It doesn't seem likely that she would have requested to represent herself... so how was any of this even close to legal?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Wait where the hell was her lawyer?? It doesn't seem likely that she would have requested to represent herself... so how was any of this even close to legal?
It's a contempt of court charge. Contempt is comitted in the presence of a judge. So sentancing can occur without trial.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Wow... I mean, I guess now that I think about it, when a judge finds someone in contempt, there's no trial associated. And I guess no trial means no lawyer. But how does this NOT violate the constitution? Where's the due process before sending someone to jail? How can you be locked up for something without any kind of trial to prove that you did something wrong? What stops a judge from simply jailing anyone they feel like?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

She was subpoenaed and didn't show up. Not sure how much more clear cut it could have been.

You get locked up because the judge is present when the crime occurs. It's not a crime that requires the same due process as others. If you commit it, that is pretty much your trial.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That was fucking horrible to watch. Goddam.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:She was subpoenaed and didn't show up. Not sure how much more clear cut it could have been.
Wait, are you defending the judge here?
You get locked up because the judge is present when the crime occurs. It's not a crime that requires the same due process as others. If you commit it, that is pretty much your trial.
Yes, I understand that that's how things are. I'm just confused as to how it's possible that it's constitutional.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

What's the name of the video so I can look it up?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Ppey87zMh0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VIDEO - Judge berating sentencing domestic violence victim to jail - Judge Jerri Collins - Florida
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

That was disturbing. Her actions were completely unwarranted and out of line. I understand the lady did not appear at court as instructed and I understand it cost the state money and wasted the time of the jury and all other court attendees but for fucks sake, it's a goddam domestic violence charge and the douchebag already has a record for domestic violence! The state of mind of that poor woman was clearly not an act, she was fearful and depressed and anxious and that judge is a piece of shit.

Oh, and not to be petty but that judge needs to take a speech class because she absolutely sucks and lends absolutely zero credibility to her authority when she has no clue what she is saying to begin with.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gendo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Ppey87zMh0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VIDEO - Judge berating sentencing domestic violence victim to jail - Judge Jerri Collins - Florida
Noice!
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:She was subpoenaed and didn't show up. Not sure how much more clear cut it could have been.
Wait, are you defending the judge here?
Yes, I understand that that's how things are. I'm just confused as to how it's possible that it's constitutional.
Not defending. Just pointing out what happened from a legal standpoint.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:That was disturbing. Her actions were completely unwarranted and out of line. I understand the lady did not appear at court as instructed and I understand it cost the state money and wasted the time of the jury and all other court attendees but for fucks sake, it's a goddam domestic violence charge and the douchebag already has a record for domestic violence! The state of mind of that poor woman was clearly not an act, she was fearful and depressed and anxious and that judge is a piece of shit.

Oh, and not to be petty but that judge needs to take a speech class because she absolutely sucks and lends absolutely zero credibility to her authority when she has no clue what she is saying to begin with.

You might want to update your second sentence to use a more specific noun. It sounded at first like you were talking about the victim, not the judge. Though the rest of your post made it clear.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Also her abuser needs to be watched pretty damn closely because, to my knowledge, choking/attempted strangulation/whatever is one of the biggest predictors for an eventual domestic homicide.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:Also her abuser needs to be watched pretty damn closely because, to my knowledge, choking/attempted strangulation/whatever is one of the biggest predictors for an eventual domestic homicide.
Whatever you do aels, definitely look at the comments. [none]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS

Although I did approve of someone using the term 'scofflaw', which doesn't get used enough, IMO.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS

Although I did approve of someone using the term 'scofflaw', which doesn't get used enough, IMO.
Why did you read the comments when you have a clear history of doing the exact opposite of what men tell you???