Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

DiCaprio's acting

Post by Cassius Clay »

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: DiCaprio's acting

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Jeez, the man can't even do his job properly nowadays without a bunch of people making fun of him for supposedly being desperate for an Oscar. Like, just let the dude act.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

He's no Nicolas Cage but he tries.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I honestly don't see why people think he's such a good actor. He's certainly better now than his awful Titanic and Man in the Iron Mask days, but he's average at best. Also, nearly every role plays is clearly Oscar bait, which is just annoying.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Monk wrote:I honestly don't see why people think he's such a good actor. He's certainly better now than his awful Titanic and Man in the Iron Mask days, but he's average at best. Also, nearly every role plays is clearly Oscar bait, which is just annoying.
True, but he went full on dedication for The Revenant and it was certainly a different role for him that covered his pretty boy looks
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

He has an unwavering conviction about his performances that I like(kinda reminds me of Denzel)...that really pulls you in, but I think he lacks emotional depth, nuance, and vulnerability. He's believable enough, he's likable enough...but I don't think I've seen a performance of his where I'm like "wow, that really hits me on a deep human level...there's something surprisingly vulnerable/moving I recognize in that". I think he just generally lacks vulnerability, even though his level of conviction is over 9000. And it's confusing to people because you have to wonder why someone this skilled with the "conviction" aspect of acting simultaneously seems so lacking.

Even when he is playing characters in extremely vulnerable situations he always tends to have an emotional toughness about him(he needs chill with his signature stern, furrowed brow expression)...which in some ways, might be admirable, but not really relateable. I've seen more emotional depth and vulnerability from frickin' Jim Carrey in dumb movies like 'Liar Liar' than I've ever seen from DiCaprio(who is supposed to be the "more serious" actor).

Though, 'The Revenant' is probably the most vulnerable I've seen DiCaprio. If they really want to give him an Oscar, this would be the movie.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

So, you're saying he lacks vulnerability?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yah...and I think he compensates for that with intensity. I still think he's a good actor.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Lol. I was kind of making fun of you cuz you said he lacked vulnerability like five times.

[angel]

I agree he's a good actor, but he's often missing a certain... something. And if you're right that he lacks vulnerability but makes up for it in intensity and emotional toughness, he's pretty much perfect to play Lenin.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

That's what I thought at first but decided to answer sincerely anyway.