White Actor Playing Michael Jackson in Comedy - Internet erupts with anger

Monk
Ultra Poster

White Actor Playing Michael Jackson in Comedy - Internet erupts with anger

Post by Monk »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... arssowhite

TL,DR: Joseph Fiennes, a white actor, is playing Michael Jackson in a 30-minute comedy special that is purportedly is based on a true story in 2001. There have been all kinds of outrage over a white actor playing him, and it's being compared to black face.

Like, I get it, but I can't help but feel this is perhaps an overreaction. I understand where people are coming from, and overwhelmingly I agree that casting white people in roles that are people of color is wrong (including all the examples given in this article). But I imagine finding a black actor with skin as light as Jackson's circa 2001 would be a bit on the difficult side. People have mentioned that they should have done just that, though I can't think of any black actors out there with bleached skin. I suppose they could just have cast any black actor, though that also would be sort of strange. Maybe I'm just wrong on this, so others can feel free to form a counterargument.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: White Actor Playing Michael Jackson in Comedy - Internet erupts with anger

Post by Cassius Clay »

I heard people say that Diana Ross's son (who weirdly looks like a mix of young MJ and Diana) would be a perfect MJ.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay wrote:I heard people say that Diana Ross's son (who weirdly looks like a mix of young MJ and Diana) would be a perfect MJ.
I would say "who the fuck is Diana Ross' son?" but then again..."who the fuck is Joseph Fiennes?"
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Voldemort's little brother from 'Shakespeare in Love'.

I think there's rumor that Evan Ross' real father is MJ because Diana and MJ were very close and had a lot of chemistry. It's probably bullshit.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/2/10889998/mi ... ng-fiennes

Decent article on the subject, and the author makes some valid points.